ext compilation error

r...@amalasoft.com

Apr 1, 2021, 9:51:49 AM4/1/21
to Eiffel Users Group
Any hints?
Nearly at the end of C compilation (but not _at_ the end, there is this error.  v 19.05

"C:\Program Files\Eiffel Software\EiffelStudio 19.05 GPL/gcc/win64/mingw/bin/ld" -r -o Cobj9.o big_file_C9_c.o
c:\Program Files\Eiffel Software\EiffelStudio 19.05 GPL\gcc\win64\mingw\bin\windres.exe: no resources
make.exe": *** [ds_test.res] Error 1
make.exe": *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

The classes being compiled have no GUI components; just data structures and console output.
There are the usual number of C files in the the C9 directory, and their aggregate size is just under 2M (smaller than some of the others)

r...@amalasoft.com

Apr 1, 2021, 5:52:06 PM4/1/21
to Eiffel Users Group
OK, I'll offer one of my own.
Looking around for anything "resource" related, I discovered that the ds_test.rc file in the project directory was empty.  I then compared it to another (newer) project's .rc file and found that the newer project's file actually had some content.  So, I copied that file and renamed it and Voila!  The project compiled (after a good cleaning).
This discovery led to another point of confusion.  The resource file (the non-empty one I copied) had the following content:

#include <windows.h>

STRINGTABLE
BEGIN
1 "This Program was made using EiffelStudio using Visual Studio C++"
END
<<<<<

Problem is, I'm using mingw, not VC++ in both projects.  So, the question arises "Is is OK to lie about the C compiler?"

Jocelyn Fiat

Apr 9, 2021, 1:22:29 PM4/9/21
to Eiffel Users
Hi,

I have just tried again to use mingw, and for me the generated file .rc contains something like "This Program was made using EiffelStudio using GCC"
in fact, the .rc is generated using the %ISE_EIFFEL%\studio\config\win64\mingw\eiffel.rc
Then I guess, the .rc file you have is from a previous compilation, using VisualStudio  (i.c ISE_C_COMPILER=msc or msc_vc140  (for GCC, it should be ISE_C_COMPILER=mingw)
Or the .rc file was saved in your repository.

Please let us know if my guess is correct. If it is wrong, could you tell us more and how to reproduce this issue?

Regards,
-- Jocelyn

--
Jocelyn
Eiffel Software

r...@amalasoft.com

Apr 9, 2021, 3:07:57 PM4/9/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jocelyn

It's a bit late to check the times on the rc files in question (I should have done that before).  My guess is that, yet, the file in question is a leftover, BUT, all this trouble began when my old system's motherboard went South and I had to build a new system from the rubble.  I tried all kinds of combos and I certainly could have left an invalid rc file laying about because I copied a lot of content from the old hard drive.
There is no env variable for ISE_C_COMPILER, but again it might have been picked up before.
Having the initial attempt at compilation fail due to a missing rc file seems like the actual problem.  It strikes me that it should be generated automatically if it's not present.
I'll keep my eyes open for other strangeness.
Thanks