GC

Janis

Apr 20, 2018, 4:06:33 AM4/20/18
to Eiffel Users
There seems to be an issue with Eiffel's GC.
I run a multithreaded application on an i7 computer without a problem.

Recently I switched to AMD's Ryzen Threadripper running the identical programm and experienced freezing for 3-18 seconds at random intervals around 2-10 times an hour.

I noticed that this occurs more often with {MEMORY}.collection_on and less often with {MEMORY}.collection_off and calling {MEMORY}.collect every some seconds and {MEMORY}.full_collect every minute. Calling {MEMORY}.full_collect more often causes more freezing.

Could there be a problem with the GC?

Janis

Gerrit Leder

Apr 20, 2018, 5:06:35 AM4/20/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janis,

with my Ryzen 7 1700 there was an issue which should be resolved with Threadripper: High loads gave segmentation faults. I got an exchange CPU, which is doing fine now. You can try running this script in order to play safe:

Take care!

Best Regards
Gerrit

Janis

Apr 20, 2018, 5:44:22 AM4/20/18
to Eiffel Users
Thank you Gerrit,

I am not getting any segfaults and the load is at about 5% only.  It just hangs. But I will try that.

Best regards

Janis

Emmanuel Stapf

Apr 20, 2018, 10:19:59 AM4/20/18
to Eiffel Users
The best way to find the main reason is for you to build a
reproducible sample and send it to https://support.eiffel.com.
Although it might not explain the difference between Intel and AMD,
have a look at https://www.eiffel.org/article/using_externals_in_multithreaded_applications
and see if this applies to you.

Manu
> --

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Janis

Apr 23, 2018, 9:30:37 AM4/23/18
to Eiffel Users
Thank you Manu,

The only externals involved are calls to get the time.

As I do not find any cause, I assume that there is a hardware issue and I am going back to intel.

Best Regards, Janis