How to choose the right EiffelStudio release?

Максим Сычёв

Oct 23, 2020, 7:04:18 AM10/23/20
to Eiffel Users
Hello.
how can I know which suitable release of EiffelStudio can be used in an operating system with the following requirements:
Linux red hat version 2.4.3
glibc version 2.3.6
gtk + version 1.2.10

Maksim

Larry Rix

Oct 25, 2020, 7:24:58 AM10/25/20
to Eiffel Users
As far as I can tell, you will be fine with the latest stable release, which is 20.05 as far as I know. It does not appear that the eiffel.org downloads have been updated from 19.05. Even that release will do nicely!

https://www.eiffel.org/downloads

Larry Rix

Oct 25, 2020, 10:46:04 AM10/25/20
to Eiffel Users
Apparently, 20.05 is still listed as a Beta Release and not as the last stable release. Based on this, choose 19.05 and give a hat-tip to 20.05.

Myself—I sometimes like to live on the bleeding edge, so I am using 20.05 and have not encountered anything but the "usual suspects".

The biggest issue for me (so far) has been long-winded use of EiffelStudio without shutting it down periodically and restarting (I run for days at a time with ES open on a single project). As a result of this very long stretch of use, I will sometimes get the docking mechanism in EiffelStudio totally hosed up and have to delete the supporting files from the APPDATA. I've actually considered writing a little Eiffel program that knows how to do this for me so I don't have to continually look back at notes on "how to recover from".

Please note that the problem I mentioned above has been around since before 19.05 and has continued to persist even into 20.05. It's not a critical error. It is merely a nuisance error that is easily recovered from once you know what to do.

Максим Сычёв

Oct 25, 2020, 12:37:23 PM10/25/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the detailed answer and recommendations.  but apparently I formulated the topic inaccurately.  I need to know which EiffelStudio release is suitable for an operating system with the following requirements: glibc version - 2.3.6.  gtk + version -1.10.  I have already studied the requirements on eiffel.org, but it does not indicate which release these requirements apply to.  What are the requirements for older EiffelStudio releases?  where can I find out?

Maksim

Chris Tillman

Oct 25, 2020, 3:01:51 PM10/25/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
According to Wikipedia GTK 1.1 is not a valid version. 1.0 and 1.2 are from 1998:

Release seriesInitial releaseMajor enhancementsLatest minor version
GTK+ 1
1.01998-04-13[48]First stable version1.0.6
1.21999-02-25[49]
So I think you need to do a little more research on your requirements, or upgrade your system. Releases of EiffelStudio will not be supported past a few year's time. Even large software companies don't have the resources to support older than 10 years or so.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eiffel-users/CANsiHOjVtXdmbgz_S832sNi0SkFaXW6DqNNPJEQBP8hYjAisCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Chris Tillman
Developer

jjj

Oct 25, 2020, 9:15:19 PM10/25/20
to Eiffel Users
Larry,

If you are talking about tool placement, toolbar setups, etc., what I do is get the tools like I want them then save the setting with "Tools Layout", "Save Layout As".  I save one for editor mode and one for debug mode.  When it gets messed up, just "Tools Layout", "Open Layout".

Is that what you were talking about?

jjj

Ulrich Windl

Oct 26, 2020, 3:56:17 AM10/26/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
>>> ?????? ????? <perseu...@gmail.com> schrieb am 25.10.2020 um 16:51 in
Nachricht
<CANsiHOjVtXdmbgz_S832sNi0...@mail.gmail.com>:
> thanks for the detailed answer and recommendations. but apparently I
> formulated the topic inaccurately. I need to know which EiffelStudio
> release is suitable for an operating system with the following
> requirements: glibc version - 2.3.6. gtk + version -1.10. I have already
> studied the requirements on eiffel.org, but it does not indicate which
> release these requirements apply to. What are the requirements for older
> EiffelStudio releases? where can I find out?

Hi!

I wonder (not knowing the license details): As ES is open source, did anyone
ever try to compile it on is/her current platform? Is that allowed? Would it be
allowable to send some package (containing the sources with instructions to
build ES) to a public build service? I almost guess: No.

Regards,
Ulrich
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eiffel-users/ce2c3f00-344a-4911-9219-ae4ccc

> 2ef498n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eiffel-users/CANsiHOjVtXdmbgz_S832sNi0SkFaX

> W6DqNNPJEQBP8hYjAisCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Максим Сычёв

Oct 26, 2020, 7:18:43 AM10/26/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the detailed clarification.  I understood from your answers that the EiffelStudio operating system requirements specified on the eiffel.org website apply to all EiffelStudio releases.  Did I understand you correctly ?  As for the old operating system that I asked about, this is a service operating system, and I have to work with it as part of my job, while there is no way to change it to a newer one.  I just wanted to find out if some suitable EiffelStudio release can be used on it.  Turns out to be impossible.

Maksim

Louis M

Oct 26, 2020, 9:40:55 AM10/26/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
There is instruction to build EiffelStudio here:
https://dev.eiffel.com/Compiling_EiffelStudio .

Good day,

Louis M

Larry Rix

Oct 27, 2020, 11:22:41 AM10/27/20
to Eiffel Users
Hey Jimmy!

Yeah—but what happens is that somewhere along the line, EiffeStudio munges the meta-data controlling the IDE layout and corrupts it to where the only way back is to delete the meta-data files in the %APP_DATA%. Otherwise, you can use it for days and weeks of running. It's that stable! But every now and again, it croaks. :-)