Confirm if interested -- RE: Macintosh version -- RE: [eiffel-users] Binary Mac download for EiffelStudio?

Bertrand Meyer

Jun 16, 2017, 8:38:37 AM6/16/17
to Bertran...@inf.ethz.ch, eiffel...@googlegroups.com, me...@inf.ethz.ch

We are ready to start with an effort related to the goals listed below. Before I start putting together the project, I am checking that I am not missing anyone. Many people commented in the discussion that followed my message, but it was not always clear whether they actually wanted to be involved in the project.

If you did not receive a personal message from me in the past few minutes BUT want to participate in the project, please send me an email so that I can include you.

Thanks,

-- Bertrand Meyer

Jun 19, 2017, 9:27:09 AM6/19/17
to Eiffel Users
Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for the message and while I'd love to, I unfortunately won't have the available time between work and now that my kids are keeping me that much busier.

Good luck with the project and if anything changes I'll let you know.

Hubert

Thomas Beale

Jun 28, 2017, 4:57:23 AM6/28/17
to Eiffel Users, Bertran...@inf.ethz.ch, me...@inf.ethz.ch
Hi Bertrand,

A few comments (mainly repeating what I have said before, but anyway...):
  • making the UI of an app on a Mac 'native' look and feel isn't the main problem, so there is no problem in principle using GTK, at least in the short term
    • BUT... an EV2 application built using GTK for the Mac must work properly. We noticed over the years various minor weird things like sizing of some components and (IIRC) soe strange scrolling behaviour, and Peter Gummer had to introduce some source hacks (custom variants of some EV classes) to get around these problems. They are not numerous, and are definitely surmountable, and our application (which uses docking, quite a lot of EV_GRID tricks and so on) now looks almost decent on a Mac, and is certainly usable.
  • if you go the route of fixing the GTK installer, I would suggest only do this if it can be made to work in a bullet-proof simple way for a non-IT person (i.e. the kind of person who says, when you ask 'are you running Yosemite?', 'No I thought I'd go to Yellowstone this year'). If it's not possible to do this, then the problem isn't really solved.
  • if you go the route of a native binding for EV2, I'd be interested to see a work estimate (elapsed time and duration). If it looks like 2y to deliver, I think then we need to think about a _new_ EV2, with a lot more capability, as I have alluded to before (I have 40+ classes layer on top of EV2 just to get  simple useful controls like directory chooser).
I may be able to help a bit with code, but more likely testing as I have very little knowledge of details of UI libs (being a back-end systems kind of person ...)

- thomas

gerrit.leder

Jun 29, 2017, 8:00:14 AM6/29/17
to Eiffel Users, Bertran...@inf.ethz.ch, me...@inf.ethz.ch
Hello Bertrand,

for any GUI library a GUI builder would be nice to have in order to get started with Eiffel GUI development!

Thank you!

Regards
Gerrit