How can I change preference values?

olly

Feb 19, 2018, 5:23:27 AM2/19/18
to Eiffel Users
Estudio 17_05, Debian Linux

I try to change default string length in the debugger, but there is no editable field.

If I click on the value the whole window flashes for a moment, but there is no way
to change the value.

Screenshot attached

Oliver Elphick
Screenshot from 2018-02-19 10-13-35.png

Chris Tillman

Feb 19, 2018, 2:28:28 PM2/19/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
I confirmed this does not occur in 17.1 for me. Perhaps check permissions on the preferences file (I think maybe <Eiffel_folder>/studio/eifinit/default.xml)?

Chris Tillman
Developer

Jocelyn Fiat

Feb 20, 2018, 6:43:03 AM2/20/18
to Eiffel Users
Hi,

I tried on Ubuntu 17.10, also on older Ubuntu from VirtualBox, and when I open the Preferences, I just need to click (for instance) on the value 50, and then the text is editable.
I tried with 17.05, and also with the fresh 18.01 version.
Note you can also press [Enter] to start edition.
There is another way to set the default string length, in the watch tool, or objects tool , you have a little tool-bar button  (double green arrow), click on it, then you have a simple dialog to change the related value, check the "Set as default" to keep them as default (i.e to update the related preference values).

Now, back to preference dialog, and value that are not editable, it should work, and this is not a question of permissions.
Can you provide more information about version of your OS, which Windows manager you are using, and anything that could help.
Maybe using https://support.eiffel.com/ would be a better place to report such issue.

Regards,
-- Jocelyn

Jocelyn
Eiffel Software
https://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: https://support.eiffel.com
User group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/eiffel-users

Oliver Elphick

Mar 2, 2018, 5:34:28 AM3/2/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 12:42 +0100, Jocelyn Fiat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried on Ubuntu 17.10, also on older Ubuntu from VirtualBox, and
> when I open the Preferences, I just need to click (for instance) on
> the value 50, and then the text is editable.

Yes. That is how it used to work for me, but no longer.

> I tried with 17.05, and also with the fresh 18.01 version.
> Note you can also press [Enter] to start edition.

No. That does not work either.

In both cases there is a sort of flash around the window, as if it had
been redisplayed, perhaps

> There is another way to set the default string length, in the watch
> tool, or objects tool , you have a little tool-bar button  (double
> green arrow), click on it, then you have a simple dialog to change
> the related value, check the "Set as default" to keep them as default
> (i.e to update the related preference values).

Thanks. That did work.

> Now, back to preference dialog, and value that are not editable, it
> should work, and this is not a question of permissions.
> Can you provide more information about version of your OS, which
> Windows manager you are using, and anything that could help.
> Maybe using https://support.eiffel.com/ would be a better place to
> report such issue.

Linux 4.9.0
xorg 1.19.2

Unfortunately I don't know which of the many X-related packages are
relevant.

I will try again after upgrading to 18 and go on from there.

> Regards,
> -- Jocelyn
>

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Chris Tillman <toff.t...@gmail.co
> m> wrote:
> > I confirmed this does not occur in 17.1 for me. Perhaps check
> > permissions on the preferences file (I think maybe
> > <Eiffel_folder>/studio/eifinit/default.xml)?
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM, olly <ol...@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Estudio 17_05, Debian Linux
> > >
> > > I try to change default string length in the debugger, but there
> > > is no editable field.
> > >
> > > If I click on the value the whole window flashes for a moment,
> > > but there is no way
> > > to change the value.
> > >
> > > Screenshot attached
> > >

> > > Oliver Elphick
> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Chris Tillman
> > Developer

olly

Mar 5, 2018, 7:26:15 AM3/5/18
to Eiffel Users
I upgraded to 18.05 and still have the problem. In addition an EV_GRID_CHOICE_ITEM in my own project does not work. The field changes colour, but the drop-down list does not appear. I suspect this is connected.

Alexander Kogtenkov

Mar 23, 2018, 9:47:10 AM3/23/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Would you send the bug report to https://support.eiffel.com/ with the following details:
   - Linux version
   - the version of the desktop environment
   - the version of GTK
?

The issue might be related to a specific Linux distribution or a specific GTK2 version that internally works on top GTK3 and has some issues in the adapter.

Thank you,
Alexander Kogtenkov

Oliver Elphick

Mar 25, 2018, 11:11:33 AM3/25/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 16:47 +0300, 'Alexander Kogtenkov' via Eiffel
Users wrote:
> Would you send the bug report to https://support.eiffel.com/ with the
> following details:
>    - Linux version
>    - the version of the desktop environment
>    - the version of GTK
> ?

That links to:
https://www.eiffel.com/services/support/
Web-based support system where you can view and submit problems and bug
reports.

Click on "Web-based support system"
Goes to https://www2.eiffel.com/support/ :
Not Found

The requested URL /support/ was not found on this server.

I don't have, nor can I afford a support contract.

The Linux version is Debian unstable, updated regularly

Desktop environment: which packages? There are so many!

GTK: libgtk2.0-0 2.24.31-2
no libgtk3 packages installed

> The issue might be related to a specific Linux distribution or a
> specific GTK2 version that internally works on top GTK3 and has some
> issues in the adapter.
>
> Thank you,
> Alexander Kogtenkov
>

> olly <ol...@lfix.co.uk>:
>
> I upgraded to 18.05 and still have the problem. In addition an
> EV_GRID_CHOICE_ITEM in my own project does not work. The field
> changes colour, but the drop-down list does not appear. I suspect
> this is connected.

Alexander Kogtenkov

Mar 25, 2018, 12:33:55 PM3/25/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,

Thank you for your email. To get to the problem report database you need to register using the link "Register" at the right upper corner of the page

   https://support.eiffel.com/

Then you can login, report an issue, attach files, add any additional details to the problem report, browse for existing problem reports filtering by their status, etc. It would be also easier for the support team to track the associated information.

Regards,
Alexander Kogtenkov

Oliver Elphick

Mar 25, 2018, 3:13:17 PM3/25/18
to 'Alexander Kogtenkov' via Eiffel Users
On Sun, 2018-03-25 at 19:33 +0300, 'Alexander Kogtenkov' via Eiffel
Users wrote:
> To get to the problem report database you need to register using the
> link "Register" at the right upper corner of the page

> https://support.eiffel.com/

Tried to register - no, I already have a registration.

Asked for a new password - got an email with a token - the website
didn't like the token. Now it has decided it doesn't have any record
with my email. Tried to re register - the list of security questions is
empty, but the page insists on the non-existent question's being
answered.

Tried Chromium browser instead of Firefox. Still no security questions.

Stuck!

Oliver Elphick

javier hector

Mar 26, 2018, 9:45:35 AM3/26/18
to Eiffel Users
Hi Oliver, unfortunately, there is an issue with our support site, it will be fixed ASAP.
I will let you know.

/Javier

javier hector

Mar 26, 2018, 11:51:15 AM3/26/18
to Eiffel Users
Hi Olivier, check now, the site it's fixed now.

/Javier