Broken documentation links on eiffel.com / Process documentation?

Thomas Beale

Aug 10, 2017, 2:16:08 PM8/10/17
to Eiffel Users
This page in theory should provide links to all library documentation, For a lot of libraries you end up on a page like this, e.g. for EiffelProcess. This contains the link:
Which just goes back to https://www.eiffel.com/

Firstly, it would be helpful to have these links fixed; secondly, where can I find EiffelProcess documentation? I remember seeing a post by Alexander (I think) about a new version. I am now seeing strange anomalies on Win 10, and may need to update, but .... can't find it.

I did find EiffelThreads documentation at the location https://www.eiffel.org/doc/solutions/EiffelThreads, i.e. under 'solutions', which is not what I would expect. If I click on the 'EiffelThread tutorial' link I end up on this strange page, which seems to be some mangled result of a rendering engine that has lost its way. At the bottom is some sort of EiffelThreads tutorial, and those links go to sensible (I suspect static) pages like this one.

All in all, the documentation links / navigation pages for libraries seem to be in a mess.

- thomas

Thomas Beale

Aug 10, 2017, 2:37:17 PM8/10/17
to Eiffel Users
I did find this statement from Alexander K in a recent post, but can't find anything called BaseProcess in the my ES 17.05 installation.

Quite a bit of work was put into improvement of the simplified version of Process library, BaseProcess, that can be used like "system", but with more flexibility, compatibility and efficiency in mind compared to the Process library. The library is available starting from the previous release, 17.01.

Any pointers?

- thomas

Jonathan Ostroff

Aug 11, 2017, 3:07:17 PM8/11/17
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
svn export https://svn.eecs.yorku.ca/repos/sel-open/misc/tutorial/command-line

The above will provide you with a small working example of using the Process Library in ES17.05.

(it’s based on the documentation you mention so it does not really add to what your already have).

Jonathan

Thomas Beale

Aug 12, 2017, 4:44:14 AM8/12/17
to Eiffel Users
I've actually already written a process handling environment (here) that follows some previous version of this, and it used to work (for some years). I discovered after upgrading to ES 17 that when my function do_system_run_command_synchronous() is called with the path to Notepad on Win 10 as the argument, Notepad fails to launch properly (it did prior to ES 17). However, if the statement

p.set_hidden (True)

is removed, it works properly. But if the path is to gvim.exe, it works either way. What is missing (for me at least) is proper documentation of what things like 'hidden' really mean. The documentation in BASE_PROCESS is:

 hidden: BOOLEAN
     -- Will the process be launched silently?
     -- e.g., no console window will prompt out.
     -- Has effects on Windows.

This isn't very useful. What effects on Windows? Under what circumstances should 'hidden' be used?

- thomas