Eiffel and Raspbian ARMv6

Larry Rix

Mar 17, 2020, 6:54:24 PM3/17/20
to Eiffel Users
I noted on the Linux Requirements on Eiffel.org that ARMv6 is listed as being compatible with the EiffelStudio 19.05

Does this mean I can successfully install ES on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian distro?

Jocelyn Fiat

Mar 18, 2020, 3:12:05 AM3/18/20
to Eiffel Users
Yes.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:54 PM Larry Rix <lar...@moonshotsoftware.com> wrote:
I noted on the Linux Requirements on Eiffel.org that ARMv6 is listed as being compatible with the EiffelStudio 19.05

Does this mean I can successfully install ES on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian distro?

Jocelyn
Eiffel Software
https://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: https://support.eiffel.com
User group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/eiffel-users

Jocelyn Fiat

Mar 18, 2020, 3:12:53 AM3/18/20
to Eiffel Users
And also ARMv7  for latest Raspberry Pi.

Gachoud Philippe

Mar 18, 2020, 8:40:48 AM3/18/20
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
So great!!!! I rejoice testing it!! Thx Larry always had this question.

Maybe if somebody can let a project on youtube it could do some publicity for Eiffel ...

Philippe Gachoud
Puerto Williams 6657
Las Condes
Santiago de Chile
+56 934022210
ph.ga...@gmail.com

Jocelyn Fiat

Mar 18, 2020, 10:04:27 AM3/18/20
to Eiffel Users
For info, I have been using/testing using the Raspberry pi 4 (4GB), and EiffelStudio runs well on it.
For smaller raspberry pi such as RPI v1, I mostly used the command line compiler, especially to build the armv6 version.
But EiffelStudio should work, however maybe not as reactive as you wish.

As a reminder, the ISE_PLATFORM should be either linux-armv6 or linux-armv7 depending on the machine.
I haven't tried on other ARM devices, only raspberry pi devices.

Also at EiffelSoftware, we usually don't build the delivery for armv6 or armv7 regularly, mostly for stable releases (and not always for armv6).
So if ever you need one for specific release, let us know.

-- Jocelyn

Iordan Chahanov

Mar 18, 2020, 10:33:43 AM3/18/20
to Jocelyn Fiat, Eiffel Users
I have started Eiffel Studio on RPI4 with armv7 and it runs quite well, but the compilation is slow.

Spent several day to put Eiffel Studio cross-compiler for armv7 to run on Linux PC (there is a mix of old and new information on cross compiling on eiffel.org)

And did Wrap_C on PIGPIO library.
The problem I see is that PIGPIO is hardware dependent and it is a tricky to develop on PC (without PIGPIO version on the PC) and later to cross-compile for armv7

-- Iordan

Larry Rix

Aug 22, 2020, 4:35:11 AM8/22/20
to Eiffel Users
Hi, Iordan!

Can you put your WrapC results for PIGPIO on GitHub?