Tab effect on the keyboard focus

howard.thomson

May 10, 2021, 2:14:57 PM5/10/21
to Eiffel Users
Hi,

I have an EV_WINDOW, with an EV_HORIZONTAL_SPLIT_AREA which in turn has two side-by-side EV_GRIDs.

Is there any way of suppressing key_tab changes of focus between the two EV_GRIDs without also removing response to mouse events ?

I want both grids to respond to mouse clicks, but have keyboard entry in only one, and all attempts so far have failed, or only partially achieved what I want ...

Regards,
Howard

howard.thomson

May 10, 2021, 2:33:09 PM5/10/21
to Eiffel Users
I have since realised that adding a set_focus to keyboard events to always return the focus to where I want it will be sufficient [I think!]
Thanks,
Howard

Finnian Reilly

May 11, 2021, 7:43:26 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com

Lately I have discovered the usefulness of the transient attribute modifier for the Eiffel-Loop reflection classes. (Before I was naming excluded fields in a string)

But why does it have to be so verbose? 5 words just to tell the compiler: I want this to be transient.

I was thinking it would be great if the deprecated is keyword could re-purposed as a shorthand way to add status modifiers, as in the following subscription_option example.

Other modifiers could be added in a list as for example

some_field: SOME_CLASS is transient, stable

-- Finnian

--
SmartDevelopersUseUnderScoresInTheirIdentifiersBecause_it_is_much_easier_to_read

Rosivaldo Fernandes Alves

May 11, 2021, 8:40:15 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Em 11/05/2021 08:43, Finnian Reilly escreveu:
> Lately I have discovered the usefulness of the transient attribute
> modifier for the Eiffel-Loop reflection classes. (Before I was naming
> excluded fields in a string)
>
> But why does it have to be so verbose? 5 words just to tell the
> compiler: I want this to be transient.
>
> I was thinking it would be great if the deprecated *is *keyword could
> re-purposed as a shorthand way to add status modifiers, as in the
> following *subscription_option* example.
>
> Other modifiers could be added in a list as for example
>
> some_field: SOME_CLASS*is* transient, stable
>

> (...)

Good idea. But "is" has not gone entirely. There is an obscure use to it
within across loops. For instance, the loop

across 1 |..| 10 as i loop print (i.item) end

may be slightly abbreviated by

across 1 |..| 10 IS i loop print (i) end

Personally, I like of getting rid of .item when accessing the... er...
item I'm visiting currently.

Best regards,

--
Rosivaldo.
OpenPGP_0x1317CD3C14C9456E.asc

Bertrand Meyer

May 11, 2021, 8:58:51 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com, me...@inf.ethz.ch
"is" will go away for loops as well. Time to effect the transition.

-- BM

Rosivaldo Fernandes Alves

May 11, 2021, 9:00:32 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Em 11/05/2021 09:58, Bertrand Meyer escreveu:
> "is" will go away for loops as well. Time to effect the transition.
>
> -- BM
>
> (...)

That's a pitty. :-(

--
Rosivaldo.
OpenPGP_0x1317CD3C14C9456E.asc
rosivaldo_fa.vcf
OpenPGP_signature

Finnian Reilly

May 11, 2021, 9:04:44 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
On 11/05/2021 13:40, Rosivaldo Fernandes Alves wrote:
Good idea. But "is" has not gone entirely. There is an obscure use to it within across loops. For instance, the loop

I didn't know that, but that shouldn't preclude a possible use for attribute modifiers. Many keyword are used in multiple contexts.

--
SmartDevelopersUseUnderScoresInTheirIdentifiersBecause_it_is_much_easier_to_read

Ulrich Windl

May 11, 2021, 9:06:14 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
>>> Rosivaldo Fernandes Alves <rosiva...@gmail.com> schrieb am 11.05.2021 um
15:00 in Nachricht <fa0cbc10-1e73-a641...@gmail.com>:
Well, maybe it's "100% Ada-free", then ;-)

Bertrand Meyer

May 11, 2021, 9:16:52 AM5/11/21
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com, me...@inf.ethz.ch
No, it's not a pity, you will not lose anything, except the need to explain the nuance between "is" and "as". Everything that you want to do will be doable, just more simply and concisely.

-- BM

Em 11/05/2021 10:04, Finnian Reilly escreveu:
> On 11/05/2021 13:40, Rosivaldo Fernandes Alves wrote:
>> Good idea. But "is" has not gone entirely. There is an obscure use to
>> it within across loops. For instance, the loop
>
> I didn't know that, but that shouldn't preclude a possible use for
> attribute modifiers. Many keyword are used in multiple contexts*.*
>
> (...)

Sure.