Eiffel Smart Phone Apps

Anthony W

Jun 10, 2018, 4:39:53 PM6/10/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Hey all -

I'm doing some research for an app idea I have, and I'm wondering about using Eiffel as the development language. Note, I've never done smart phone apps before, so I'm a complete newbie in this space...

Is it possible? If so, at a high level, what technologies would you have to leverage to make it work.

I'd be targeting Androids, but it'd be nice to have it work with minimal effort on Apple products.

Thanks
Anthony

Berend de Boer

Jun 18, 2018, 5:21:04 PM6/18/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com

Anthony> I'm wondering about using Eiffel as the development
Anthony> language.

Forget about it. Your Android app runs on the java virtual
machine. Eiffel does not compile to the java virtual machine.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

Anthony W

Jun 18, 2018, 5:23:45 PM6/18/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response - while discouraging, I'd rather have a negative response than no response at all!

Anthony

Finnian Reilly

Jun 18, 2018, 7:28:56 PM6/18/18
to Eiffel Users
Hi Anthony
In theory it is possible to have Eiffel running on Android since there is a native development kit that uses C and C++ but making an Eiffel SDK is something for a future community effort, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

However there might be another way to use Eiffel on Android. Someone created  a tool that compiles a subset of Eiffel to JavaScript which can run on a browser, so you could use Eiffel to make a HTML web app, and part of your app could be a server application. There is plenty of Eiffel support for server apps. I have attached a paper describing the tool. I haven't used it so I can't vouch for it but I believe there was some EiffelStudio support for it in an experimental version.
regards
Finnian

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Berend de Boer <ber...@pobox.com> wrote:
"Anthony" == Anthony W <awei...@gmail.com> writes:

   Anthony> I'm wondering about using Eiffel as the development
   Anthony> language.

Forget about it. Your Android app runs on the java virtual
machine. Eiffel does not compile to the java virtual machine.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

Eiffel and JavaScript.pdf

Louis M

Jun 20, 2018, 2:20:19 PM6/20/18
to Eiffel Users
Hi,

in fact, I have already compile and execute an Eiffel Hello World program on Android. There is a little how-to there: https://github.com/tioui/Eiffel_Spec/tree/master/android-spec .

The problem is that it cannot use the user interface library. We could use Qt as GUI toolkit, but the problem is that, because of the extremely complex architecture of Qt, it is quite a nightmare to port in Eiffel. I have start a port but it is far from functional. So, I would say, it is not a total "forget about it" but a it is more a "not functional yet".

Good day,

Louis M

Le lundi 18 juin 2018 17:23:45 UTC-4, aweissen a écrit :
Thanks for the response - while discouraging, I'd rather have a negative response than no response at all!

Anthony
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Berend de Boer <ber...@pobox.com> wrote:
"Anthony" == Anthony W <awei...@gmail.com> writes:

   Anthony> I'm wondering about using Eiffel as the development
   Anthony> language.

Forget about it. Your Android app runs on the java virtual
machine. Eiffel does not compile to the java virtual machine.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

Anthony W

Jun 20, 2018, 2:33:56 PM6/20/18
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your responses - this gives me some direction for digging deeper.

Anthony