Problems installing Eiffel on the Mac

Richard Kenneth Eng

Jun 5, 2019, 10:33:35 AM6/5/19
to Eiffel Users
I've been trying to install Eiffel on the Mac by following the instructions here: https://www.eiffel.org/doc/eiffelstudio/Mac_OS_X

The instructions are very arcane and user-unfriendly, esp. those regarding environment variables.

No matter what I do, I just can't run estudio. I get some weird error message about the DISPLAY environment variable.

I'm a newbie to Eiffel and I'm not well-versed with the command line and environment variables. Is there no easy painless process for installing Eiffel?

This makes for a very poor first impression. Just for the record, I recently installed Pharo, a modern variant of Smalltalk. Easy peasy. Why can't Eiffel be like this?

Peter Gummer

Jun 5, 2019, 6:49:33 PM6/5/19
to 'Alexander Kogtenkov' via Eiffel Users
Hi,

The difficulty is that EiffelStudio runs on Mac as an X Windows application. This complicates the installation enormously.

The error message about the DISPLAY variable sounds like a MacPorts problem, but according to https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html the variable shouldn’t be necessary anymore. Is it being set in your .profile?

- Peter

Ian Joyner

Jun 9, 2019, 6:20:22 AM6/9/19
to Eiffel Users
Well seeing as Richard Eng is here giving Eiffel a go, I thought I’d try installing the latest as well, since it is a long time since I had a play. I can’t even say I can get as far as Richard. Macports (and equivalents) are just horrible. This is what I get on

sudo port install eiffelstudio

Error: bzip2 cannot be installed for the configured universal_archs 'x86_64 i386' because it only supports the arch(s) ''.
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade bzip2 failed

Yes, I modified /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf

and tried clean on bzip2

Actually I’m surprised Eiffel on Mac has not progressed further than this after a number of years and available as a native application interfacing EiffelVision to Cocoa. I think Apple are partially to blame, since from my experience of doing anything with Eiffel (Frieder’s version), Apple kept changing Xcode radically with every release.

Ian

Bertrand Meyer

Jun 21, 2019, 11:07:23 AM6/21/19
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com, me...@inf.ethz.ch

Thanks for reporting; there is indeed a problem with the installation of the latest version, 19.05, on the Mac, due to a third-party package which has not been updated. We are contacting the package author.

In the meantime 18.11 installs without any problem (in our tests), per the instructions at https://www.eiffel.org/doc/eiffelstudio/Mac_OS_X.

-- Bertrand Meyer

Andrew Poulter

Jun 22, 2019, 5:05:09 AM6/22/19
to Eiffel Users
I would be interested to install Eiffel Studio on my Mac but I use brew rather than MacPorts. I see that there is indeed an install formula offerred there (https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/eiffelstudio#default). Since the instructions do not refer to this option, I assume it is not officially approved. But does it work?
Further, I would be interested to know why Eiffel Studio is dependent on XCode rather than on just the command line utils that come with the XCode installation. The XCode install is considerably larger than just installing the unix utils and I don't have any intention of using XCode as an IDE.

Thanks in advance for your replies and feedback.
Kind regards
Andrew

Jann Röder

Jul 1, 2019, 6:24:31 PM7/1/19
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com, Peter Gummer
You just need to install XQuartz: https://www.xquartz.org/

On 05/06/2019 at 23:49 Peter Gummer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The difficulty is that EiffelStudio runs on Mac as an X Windows
> application. This complicates the installation enormously.
>
> The error message about the DISPLAY variable sounds like a MacPorts
> problem, but according to
> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html the variable
> shouldn’t be necessary anymore. Is it being set in your .profile?
>
> - Peter
>

>> On 5 Jun 2019, at 23:52, Richard Kenneth Eng
>> <horrido...@gmail.com <mailto:horrido...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to install Eiffel on the Mac by following the
>> instructions here: https://www.eiffel.org/doc/eiffelstudio/Mac_OS_X
>>
>> The instructions are very arcane and user-unfriendly, esp. those
>> regarding environment variables.
>>
>> No matter what I do, I just can't run estudio. I get some weird error
>> message about the DISPLAY environment variable.
>>
>> I'm a newbie to Eiffel and I'm not well-versed with the command line
>> and environment variables. Is there no easy painless process for
>> installing Eiffel?
>>
>> This makes for a very poor first impression. Just for the record, I
>> recently installed Pharo, a modern variant of Smalltalk. Easy peasy.
>> Why can't Eiffel be like this?
>
> --

Jann Röder <ma...@jann-roeder.net>
PGP key ID: 0x7698DB91

Peter Gummer

Jul 3, 2019, 8:53:39 AM7/3/19
to 'Alexander Kogtenkov' via Eiffel Users
It looks like the 19.05 Mac package is available now:

$ sudo port upgrade outdated
--->  Computing dependencies for eiffelstudio
--->  Fetching archive for eiffelstudio
--->  Attempting to fetch eiffelstudio-19.05.10.3187_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from http://nou.nc.packages.macports.org/pub/macports/packages.macports.org/eiffelstudio
--->  Attempting to fetch eiffelstudio-19.05.10.3187_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from http://aus.us.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/eiffelstudio
--->  Attempting to fetch eiffelstudio-19.05.10.3187_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/eiffelstudio
--->  Fetching distfiles for eiffelstudio
--->  Attempting to fetch eiffelstudio-19.05.10.3187.tar from http://aarnet.au.distfiles.macports.org/pub/macports/distfiles/eiffelstudio
--->  Verifying checksums for eiffelstudio
--->  Extracting eiffelstudio
--->  Configuring eiffelstudio
--->  Building eiffelstudio
--->  Staging eiffelstudio into destroot
--->  Installing eiffelstudio @19.05.10.3187_0
--->  Cleaning eiffelstudio
--->  Computing dependencies for eiffelstudio
--->  Deactivating eiffelstudio @18.11.10.2592_0
--->  Cleaning eiffelstudio
--->  Activating eiffelstudio @19.05.10.3187_0
--->  Cleaning eiffelstudio
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
--->  No broken ports found.
--->  Some of the ports you installed have notes:
  eiffelstudio has the following notes:
    To complete the installation you have to add the following to your .bashrc or .profile file :
     export ISE_PLATFORM=macosx-x86-64
     export ISE_EIFFEL=/Applications/MacPorts/Eiffel_19.05
     export GOBO=$ISE_EIFFEL/library/gobo/svn
     export PATH=$PATH:$ISE_EIFFEL/studio/spec/$ISE_PLATFORM/bin:$GOBO/../spec/$ISE_PLATFORM/bin

- Peter

javier hector

Jul 4, 2019, 7:42:11 AM7/4/19
to Eiffel Users
EiffelStudio macport has been updated to the latest version (19.05).
/Javier