Edmug: April 23 - Curtis Badke - Introduction to Functional Programming with F#

Abram Hindle

Apr 1, 2013, 6:36:18 PM4/1/13
to edmonton-functional-p...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps some of you would be interested in this:

http://www.edmug.net/events/100981842/

April 23 - Curtis Badke - Introduction to Functional Programming with F#

Tell a friend New!
Share

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

5:30 PM

6th Floor Room 5, Edmonton Public Library

9950 - 102 Avenue, Edmonton, AB (map)

5:30-6:00pm Food
6:00-8:00pm Speaker: Curtis Badke - Introduction to Functional
Programming with F#

Please RSVP so we can get a head count for attendance and food
accommodation.

Speaker Bio:

Curtis is an Edmonton based software developer who is particularly
passionate about software craftsmanship and automation. He has worked as
a research developer at the UofA, built communication software for the
industrial control industry and is currently working at DevFacto
primarily doing web development, promoting best practices and organizing
training. You can find Curtis around Edmonton running the Pluralsight
study group as well as frequently organizing Code Retreats.

Abstract:

We will go over an introduction of key ideas within functional
computing as well as F#. Through this talk we will review F# syntax, why
you would want to spend your time learning F# (or any other functional
language) and how learning F# can improve your C# game. Finally, if time
allows, we will do a quick demo of how async/await can be easily
utilized in F# due to the nature of the language.

Sponsors:

We are looking for sponsors. Please contact us if you would like to
sponsor us.

Current .NET Job Opportunities:

Your company can advertise your job postings here. Contact us for
job postings sponsorship.

signature.asc

Curtis Badke

Apr 2, 2013, 9:40:28 AM4/2/13
to edmonton-functional-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Abram!

The talk will be quite introductory. The focus is to convince C# developers to take some time to experiment with functional languages in general and using F# as the discussion point specifically. I would be thrilled if anyone from here would attend and give me some pointers on how improve my talks on this subject.

I was planning to direct people to this group as a way of meeting people and learning about functional programming so if someone from the group was around to talk to that might be good as well.