AGM (Proposed Date:Thursday 30th March 8:00 PM Games Hub) and Bank Account

rob

Mar 5, 2017, 6:22:17 PM3/5/17
to Edinburgh Go Club
Hello,

For those not present, I discussed this on Thursday Night with others at the club.

In summary, the club has long and venerable history, a constitution, and in the past, before I joined, did have AGMs and did collect subscriptions from its members, which were placed in a bank account, where several hundred pounds has accumulated.

Phil Blamire who has been treasurer and loyal custodian of the bank account has wanted to pass this responsibility on for a long time, but to do this properly we do need to reinstate sufficient level of organisation to prove that any new signatories are bona fide officials of the club.

Essentially this means showing to a bank that we have constitution, a Annual General Meeting (AGM) and duly elected officials to act as signatories.

Currently the proposal is to have AGM, where we

1. Adopt the model constitution on the BGA Website here
- there are only 4 clauses, which does simplify things. This would supersede the current constitution that we do not have a copy of.

2. Elect the officials specified (Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary):
- Myself and Boris are willing to be nominated, but we will need at least one more person to take on one of the roles.

3. Proposal is to open new bank account with Cooperative Bank (see here), with the three elected officials as signatories. The account provides online access which will simplify management. Phil will transfer money over from old account.

I'll sent out a formal agenda for the AGM in the next couple of days, but this e-mail was to provide some background and solicit any immediate feedback, and check the date (Thursday March 30th 8:00 PM at Games Hub) is OK with the majority of people who want to attend. By being part of this mailing list, you are assumed to be a member of the club and our welcome to come along to the AGM.

Best Regards,

rob.

Neil Sandford

Mar 6, 2017, 3:06:08 PM3/6/17
to Edinburgh Go Club
Hi, Rob and Boris - well done.

My only three thoughts:
1) official documents require two signatures out of three.
2) Need a process for dissolution - in particular, donating the accumulated funds to BGA.
3) The club is not allowed to borrow money or incur other kinds of liability (I speak from experience)

Neil