install failure / linux-ubuntu 9.10 (karmic)

benomatic42

Mar 9, 2010, 1:53:56 PM3/9/10
to eclim-dev
I just installed the eclim-1.5.6 package, and it seems to have failed
at a couple levels.

First off, I wanted to install as myself, but ran into auth problems
unless as I ran with sudo. I can reproduce the stacktrace if useful.

While checking this I found that the -h command (and other args as
well) produce this error in the script:

[: 36: ==: unexpected operator

Adding set -xv to the script didn't make it completely obvious to me
where this originates, so perhaps ymmv.

After using sudo I got it installed, but couldn't run it. Under
eclipse 3.5.1 (ubuntu's 3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3 package), I tried to
find eclim under Window/Show View/Other, but no luck. So I tried
running eclimd by hand to test headless mode, and that fails as well.
The log for that is at the bottom of the message.

Did I miss a step someplace, or is there more I can do to help debug?
Please cc: me on any replies, as I may otherwise forget to check this
group. Thanks!

ben

----

!SESSION 2010-03-09 13:40:53.351
eclipse.buildId=M20090917-0800
java.version=1.6.0_15
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -refresh -application
org.eclim.application_headless
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -debug -clean -
refresh -application org.eclim.application_headless

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 4 2010-03-09 13:40:55.775
!MESSAGE An error occurred while installing the items
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2010-03-09 13:40:55.775
!MESSAGE session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install,
operand=null --> [R]org.eclipse.pde 3.4.100.v20090527,
action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.InstallBundleAction).
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.eclipse 4 0 2010-03-09
13:40:55.775
!MESSAGE The artifact file for osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.pde,
3.4.100.v20090527 was not found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-03-09 13:40:55.813
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application
"org.eclim.application_headless" could not be found in the registry.
The applications available are: org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner,
org.eclipse.ant.ui.antRunner, org.eclipse.equinox.app.error,
org.eclipse.equinox.initializer.configInitializer,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.mirrorApplication,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.app.application,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.garbagecollector.application,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator.EclipseGenerator,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.mirrorApplication,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.InstallPublisher,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.ProductPublisher,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.application,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository.repo2runnable,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.updatesite.UpdateSitePublisher,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.UpdateSitePublisher,
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.CategoryPublisher,
org.eclipse.help.base.infocenterApplication,
org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication,
org.eclipse.help.base.indexTool, org.eclipse.jdt.apt.core.aptBuild,
org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter, org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench,
org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate,
org.eclipse.update.core.siteOptimizer.
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:
242)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:
29)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
110)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
79)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
368)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
179)
at
39)
at
25)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:
559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)

Eric Van Dewoestine

Mar 10, 2010, 1:10:33 AM3/10/10
to ecli...@googlegroups.com, benom...@gmail.com
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:53:56AM -0800, benomatic42 wrote:
> I just installed the eclim-1.5.6 package, and it seems to have failed
> at a couple levels.
>
> First off, I wanted to install as myself, but ran into auth problems
> unless as I ran with sudo. I can reproduce the stacktrace if useful.

Yeah, can you post that stack trace? The installer should be
validating permissions to directories etc. and shouldn't raise any
exceptions.

> While checking this I found that the -h command (and other args as
> well) produce this error in the script:
>
> [: 36: ==: unexpected operator

What script are you supplying -h to? The eclim_1.5.6.sh file?

Can you post the result of the following:
$ readlink -f `which sh`

> Adding set -xv to the script didn't make it completely obvious to me
> where this originates, so perhaps ymmv.
>
> After using sudo I got it installed, but couldn't run it. Under
> eclipse 3.5.1 (ubuntu's 3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3 package), I tried to
> find eclim under Window/Show View/Other, but no luck. So I tried
> running eclimd by hand to test headless mode, and that fails as well.
> The log for that is at the bottom of the message.
>
> Did I miss a step someplace, or is there more I can do to help debug?
> Please cc: me on any replies, as I may otherwise forget to check this
> group.

> !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-03-09 13:40:55.813
> !MESSAGE Application error
> !STACK 1
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Application
> "org.eclim.application_headless" could not be found in the registry.

It looks like the eclim eclipse plugins are not being picked up by
eclipse. What is the result of running the following from in your
eclipse home directory:
$ pwd ; ls -ld plugins/org.eclim*

--
eric

ben

Mar 11, 2010, 10:21:19 AM3/11/10
to Eric Van Dewoestine, ecli...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Eric Van Dewoestine <erva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:53:56AM -0800, benomatic42 wrote:
> Yeah, can you post that stack trace? The installer should be
> validating permissions to directories etc. and shouldn't raise any
> exceptions.

Ugh. This seems like a bad joke, but it's true. I tried the eclim
installer as-is 2x in a row as myself, both of which failed with same
error. Then I installed via sudo 2x (manually removing as
instructions suggest, each time). Now that I'm back at office, I
re-installed as myself, and of course, no error or java stack. Sorry.
:(

TAKE 2 -- although the previous install "worked", it continued to
fail, and I realized that I didn't check the C/++ and Python dev envs
this time. So I uninstalled, reinstalled, et voila! Failed after
confirming that I wanted CDT (which I'd never been prompted for, btw):

java.lang.RuntimeException:
at org.eclim.installer.step.EclipsePluginsStep$InstallPluginsAction$1.run(EclipsePluginsStep.java:518)
at foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread$1.run(AbstractWorkerThread.java:39)
at foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread.runTask(AbstractWorkerThread.java:35)
at foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:196)
at foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:179)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

This time it tries to allow me to 'Skip' the CDT feature, which didn't
happen before. So there's something creating a bit of non-determinism
in the installer, but I have no idea as to what it may be. In any
case, the skip button seems to be a NOOP, and just sits there. So I
reinstalled 'vanilla style' and the install works without complaint,
but eclim is still broken in the same way.

>> While checking this I found that the -h command (and other args as
>> well) produce this error in the script:
>>
>> [: 36: ==: unexpected operator
>
> What script are you supplying -h to? The eclim_1.5.6.sh file?
>
> Can you post the result of the following:
> $ readlink -f `which sh`

Yep, the eclim_1.5.6.sh file. And When I opened up the file, no '['
command even sees a '==' comparison. Perhaps one of the others gets
translation at parse time?

[chain] ~/.eclipse $ readlink -f `which sh`
/bin/dash

> It looks like the eclim eclipse plugins are not being picked up by
> eclipse. What is the result of running the following from in your
> eclipse home directory:
> $ pwd ; ls -ld plugins/org.eclim*

my "eclipse home dir" is a bit ambiguous to me. eclim's installer
suggested this extraneously long install path, which I went ahead
with. perhaps that's the real issue?

[chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
$ pwd
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
[chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
$ ls -ld plugins/org.eclim*
drwxr-xr-x 7 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim_1.5.6
drwxr-xr-x 4 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.ant_1.5.6
drwxr-xr-x 5 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.core_1.5.6
drwxr-xr-x 5 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.jdt_1.5.6
drwxr-xr-x 3 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.maven_1.5.6
drwxr-xr-x 4 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.vimplugin_1.5.6
[chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse $

----

I'm going to try another re-install, using $HOME/.eclipse as install
dir. I will report if it makes things work :)

Thanks!

-b

Eric Van Dewoestine

Mar 11, 2010, 11:43:49 PM3/11/10
to ben, ecli...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:21:19AM -0500, ben wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Eric Van Dewoestine <erva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:53:56AM -0800, benomatic42 wrote:
> > Yeah, can you post that stack trace? The installer should be
> > validating permissions to directories etc. and shouldn't raise any
> > exceptions.
>
> Ugh. This seems like a bad joke, but it's true. I tried the eclim
> installer as-is 2x in a row as myself, both of which failed with same
> error. Then I installed via sudo 2x (manually removing as
> instructions suggest, each time). Now that I'm back at office, I
> re-installed as myself, and of course, no error or java stack. Sorry.
> :(
>
> TAKE 2 -- although the previous install "worked", it continued to
> fail, and I realized that I didn't check the C/++ and Python dev envs
> this time. So I uninstalled, reinstalled, et voila! Failed after
> confirming that I wanted CDT (which I'd never been prompted for, btw):
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException:
> at org.eclim.installer.step.EclipsePluginsStep$InstallPluginsAction$1.run(EclipsePluginsStep.java:518)
> at foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread$1.run(AbstractWorkerThread.java:39)
> at foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread.runTask(AbstractWorkerThread.java:35)
> at foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:196)
> at foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:179)

Did you kick off the installer from the command line? If so then it
should have logged the process to the console. Can you send that
info? I have feeling that the install plugin that eclim puts in your
eclipse home, which allows the installer to install other plugins, is
suffering from the same problem of not being recognized by eclipse.

> This time it tries to allow me to 'Skip' the CDT feature, which didn't
> happen before. So there's something creating a bit of non-determinism
> in the installer, but I have no idea as to what it may be. In any
> case, the skip button seems to be a NOOP, and just sits there. So I
> reinstalled 'vanilla style' and the install works without complaint,
> but eclim is still broken in the same way.
>
> >> While checking this I found that the -h command (and other args as
> >> well) produce this error in the script:
> >>
> >> [: 36: ==: unexpected operator
> >
> > What script are you supplying -h to? The eclim_1.5.6.sh file?
> >
> > Can you post the result of the following:
> > $ readlink -f `which sh`
>
> Yep, the eclim_1.5.6.sh file. And When I opened up the file, no '['
> command even sees a '==' comparison. Perhaps one of the others gets
> translation at parse time?
>
> [chain] ~/.eclipse $ readlink -f `which sh`
> /bin/dash

Ah, ok. The issue is that the install script has a line which works
in bash but not sh (dash in this case). That shouldn't have any impact
on being able to install eclim, but I'll get that fixed.

> > It looks like the eclim eclipse plugins are not being picked up by
> > eclipse. What is the result of running the following from in your
> > eclipse home directory:
> > $ pwd ; ls -ld plugins/org.eclim*
>
> my "eclipse home dir" is a bit ambiguous to me. eclim's installer
> suggested this extraneously long install path, which I went ahead
> with. perhaps that's the real issue?
>
> [chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
> $ pwd
> /home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
> [chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
> $ ls -ld plugins/org.eclim*
> drwxr-xr-x 7 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim_1.5.6
> drwxr-xr-x 4 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.ant_1.5.6
> drwxr-xr-x 5 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.core_1.5.6
> drwxr-xr-x 5 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.jdt_1.5.6
> drwxr-xr-x 3 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.maven_1.5.6
> drwxr-xr-x 4 ben staff 4096 2010-03-11 10:05 plugins/org.eclim.vimplugin_1.5.6
> [chain] ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse $

Yeah, this is where things can get tricky. The version of eclipse
which is installed by package managers of linux distros is installed
and owned by root. To allow regular users to install eclipse plugins
which aren't available via the package manager, a per user directory
is created which eclipse recognizes as an alternate location where it
can find features/plugins to load. The eclim installer attempts to
recognize this situation and uses the "local" eclipse home as the
location where it installs the eclim plugins. It seems as though the
location that the eclim installer detected is not getting picked up by
ecilpse. One thing you can do is move your ~/.eclipse directory out
of the way, and then start the eclipse gui. The gui should create a
new .eclipse directory. You can also try installing the cdt plugin
via eclipse's update manager and see exactly where it is installing
the plugins.

> ----
>
> I'm going to try another re-install, using $HOME/.eclipse as install
> dir. I will report if it makes things work :)

That shouldn't work and the installer may not even let you choose that
as an eclipse home.

If all else fails, the easiest thing to do is to grab an eclipse
install from eclipse.org, extract it as your regular user in some
directory you have write access and then install eclim against that.
This method should almost certainly work without issues.

Unfortunately, I'm short on free time these days, but I'll make a note
to install a vim with karmic on it and see if I can reproduce the
issues you are running into.

--
eric

ben

Mar 12, 2010, 11:09:46 AM3/12/10
to Eric Van Dewoestine, ecli...@googlegroups.com
First off, new note. While trying to install CDT, I discovered that I
was lacking the PDE package. Its presence makes no difference so far.
As noted below, it may not be correctly installed.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Eric Van Dewoestine
<erva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you kick off the installer from the command line?  If so then it
> should have logged the process to the console.  Can you send that
> info?  I have feeling that the install plugin that eclim puts in your
> eclipse home, which allows the installer to install other plugins, is
> suffering from the same problem of not being recognized by eclipse.

Indeed. It is at the bottom. Shoulda done that earlier. I am
assuming that the 'CDT' checkmark combined w/ no CDT installed was at
fault. Obviously it would be nice if the installer detected nicely
instead of stack tracing, but post "psuedo CDT install", no stack
trace to report, so the script log is less interesting.

> Yeah, this is where things can get tricky.  The version of eclipse

> ... (elided) ...  It seems as though the

> location that the eclim installer detected is not getting picked up by
> ecilpse.  One thing you can do is move your ~/.eclipse directory out
> of the way, and then start the eclipse gui.  The gui should create a
> new .eclipse directory.  You can also try installing the cdt plugin
> via eclipse's update manager and see exactly where it is installing
> the plugins.

Actually I had already tested rm-rf'ing the .eclipse dir. But I did
so again, and installed CDT. Unfortunately I don't know eclipse well
enough to tell, but by my reckoning, CDT is only half-recognized. If
you go to Help/About->installation Details, "Installed Software" and
"Installation History" list my newly added CDT base package. But
Features/Plugin-ins/Configuration tabs have no mention of anything
CDT. CDT seems to have installed files as follows:

[chain] ~/.eclipse $ find . -name '*cdt*'
./org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/features/org.eclipse.cdt.gnu.dsf_2.0.0.201002161416
./org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/features/org.eclipse.cdt_6.0.2.201002161416
./org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.ui_2.0.0.201002161416.jar
./org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux_5.1.0.201002161416.jar

So, I wonder if the "fact of their installation" is recorded someplace
useful, but their actual presence is failing to be detected. Which
makes me suspect that Karmic's setup is to blame. So far googling has
yielded little real info on Karmic + user local plugin problems, but I
will keep looking.

> If all else fails, the easiest thing to do is to grab an eclipse
> install from eclipse.org, extract it as your regular user in some
> directory you have write access and then install eclim against that.
> This method should almost certainly work without issues.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm short on free time these days, but I'll make a note
> to install a vim with karmic on it and see if I can reproduce the
> issues you are running into.

Source install is always available, but undesirable if avoidable. As
to your time, no worries. I appreciate everything so far! I am more
than happy to continue trying things if you have ideas. Let me know
if it's better to take this off list as well.

ciao,

ben

----

[chain] ~/src $ ./eclim_1.5.6.sh

Initializing installer ...

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
[: 36: unexpected operator
ANT_OPTS=-Djava.library.path=./ant/lib/native/linux
ANT_HOME=./ant
-e ANT="./ant/bin/ant"
--noconfig
-logger org.formic.ant.logger.Log4jLogger
-lib "."
-f "./installer.xml" installer
Buildfile: ./installer.xml
2010-03-12 10:25:48,802 INFO [org.formic.Installer] Running Installer.
2010-03-12 10:26:14,285 INFO [ANT] [untar] Expanding:
/tmp/formic_MwGZN3/org.eclim.installer.tar.gz into
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/plugins
2010-03-12 10:26:14,334 INFO [ANT] [formic:installer]
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/plugins/org.eclim.installer_1.5.6/bin/install
-command listFeatures
2010-03-12 10:26:17,757 INFO [ANT] [formic:installer] Downloading
compositeContent.jar
2010-03-12 10:26:18,586 INFO [ANT] [formic:installer] Downloading
201002260900/content.jar
2010-03-12 10:27:16,883 INFO [ANT] [formic:installer]
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/plugins/org.eclim.installer_1.5.6/bin/install
-command addSite -from
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse
2010-03-12 10:27:52,309 INFO [ANT] [eclim:shutdown] Unable to shut
down eclimd (9091): java.lang.NullPointerException - null
2010-03-12 10:27:52,361 INFO [ANT] [touch] Creating
/tmp/formic_MwGZN3/install.excludes
2010-03-12 10:27:52,364 INFO [ANT] [eclim:installexcludes] including
features: [maven, jdt, ant]
2010-03-12 10:27:52,368 INFO [ANT] [untar] Expanding:
/tmp/formic_MwGZN3/org.eclim_1.5.6.tar.gz into
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/plugins
2010-03-12 10:27:52,897 WARN [ANT] [exec] rm: cannot remove
`/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/eclim':
No such file or directory
2010-03-12 10:27:52,901 ERROR [ANT] [exec] Result: 1
2010-03-12 10:27:52,908 WARN [ANT] [exec] rm: cannot remove
`/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/eclimd':
No such file or directory
2010-03-12 10:27:52,912 ERROR [ANT] [exec] Result: 1
2010-03-12 10:27:52,950 INFO [ANT] [exec] Building ng client.
To build a Windows binary, type 'make ng.exe'
2010-03-12 10:27:52,950 INFO [ANT] [exec] gcc -Wall -pedantic -s
-O3 -o ng src/c/ng.c
2010-03-12 10:27:53,677 INFO [ANT] [move] Moving 1 file to
/home/ben/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/configuration/eclipse/plugins/org.eclim_1.5.6/bin
2010-03-12 10:27:53,681 INFO [ANT] [unjar] Expanding:
/tmp/formic_MwGZN3/eclim_resources_1.5.6.jar into /home/ben/.eclim
2010-03-12 10:27:53,693 INFO [ANT] [unjar] Expanding:
/tmp/formic_MwGZN3/eclim_vim_1.5.6.jar into /home/ben/.vim
2010-03-12 10:27:54,046 ERROR [ANT] [move] Warning:
/home/ben/.vim/eclim/resources not found.
2010-03-12 10:27:57,212 INFO [org.formic.Installer] Installer Finished.
2010-03-12 10:27:57,215 DEBUG [ANT]
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 2 minutes 8 seconds
[chain] ~/src $

Eric Van Dewoestine

Mar 15, 2010, 11:25:46 AM3/15/10
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:09:46AM -0500, ben wrote:
> First off, new note. While trying to install CDT, I discovered that I
> was lacking the PDE package. Its presence makes no difference so far.
> As noted below, it may not be correctly installed.
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Eric Van Dewoestine
> <erva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you kick off the installer from the command line? �If so then it
> > should have logged the process to the console. �Can you send that
> > info? �I have feeling that the install plugin that eclim puts in your
> > eclipse home, which allows the installer to install other plugins, is
> > suffering from the same problem of not being recognized by eclipse.
>
> Indeed. It is at the bottom. Shoulda done that earlier. I am
> assuming that the 'CDT' checkmark combined w/ no CDT installed was at
> fault. Obviously it would be nice if the installer detected nicely
> instead of stack tracing, but post "psuedo CDT install", no stack
> trace to report, so the script log is less interesting.

There are a couple things in the log that look a little odd, but I
can't say for sure at the moment if they signal any issues.

Yeah that looks like only a partial cdt install. On my machine I have
5 eclipse cdt folders in my features directory and about 20 eclipse
cdt jars in my plugins directory.

> > If all else fails, the easiest thing to do is to grab an eclipse
> > install from eclipse.org, extract it as your regular user in some
> > directory you have write access and then install eclim against that.
> > This method should almost certainly work without issues.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm short on free time these days, but I'll make a note
> > to install a vim with karmic on it and see if I can reproduce the
> > issues you are running into.
>
> Source install is always available, but undesirable if avoidable. As
> to your time, no worries. I appreciate everything so far! I am more
> than happy to continue trying things if you have ideas. Let me know
> if it's better to take this off list as well.

It looks like you are doing everything correctly so at this point I
think I just need to try reproducing the issues locally with a karmic
install.

I think keeping this on the mailing list is good for any other karmic
users that may be running into similar issues.

--
eric

Eric Van Dewoestine

Mar 20, 2010, 9:28:47 PM3/20/10
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
Just an FYI for you and any other ubuntu users (and perhaps other
distro users with eclipse installed via their package manager) that I
finally got around to install karmic and was able to reproduce the
RuntimeException during the eclim install. I'll take a closer look
into it tomorrow and try to get it fixed as soon as I can.

The work around, as I've mentioned previously, is to download an
eclipse tar from eclipse.org, extract it to the directory of your
choice with write access for your regular user account, and then to
install eclim against that.

--
eric