Recommended way to serialize arguments sent to VIM server

Kannan

Sep 21, 2014, 10:55:14 PM9/21/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
I want to call a VIM function with argument using the "vim --servername my_server --remote-send 'my_function arg1 arg2<CR>'" command. What is the recommended way to pass List as an argument? Should I construct a String with some delimiter? If so, what delimiter is used in Eclim? For normal commands that are invoked from VIM and sent to eclim server, we are using GSON. But I guess that approach is not applicable here, right?

--
Kannan

Eric Van Dewoestine

Sep 22, 2014, 11:11:09 AM9/22/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-09-21 19:55:13, Kannan wrote:
> I want to call a VIM function with argument using the "vim --servername my_server --remote-send 'my_function arg1 arg2<CR>'" command. What is the recommended way to pass List as an argument? Should I construct a String with some delimiter? If so, what delimiter is used in Eclim? For normal commands that are invoked from VIM and sent to eclim server, we are using GSON. But I guess that approach is not applicable here, right?

The more I think about it, the less I like using vim's remote send
commands. If non-vim eclim clients decide they want to integrate with
the upcoming java debugging support, they won't be able to. So instead
of using remote sends commands, I think we should think about using
vim's python support to start a small server which can listen for
commands from eclimd. This server shouldn't be specific to any eclim
feature (like java debugging), so that any future eclim features can
utilize it as well. By using this instead, other editors can
presumably implement a similar server to integrate with eclim's java
debugging, etc.

--
eric

Kannan

Sep 24, 2014, 1:51:20 PM9/24/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
Eric,
  Can you tell the example of a simple command and tell me how the workflow will look like if we implemented the python server model?

--
Kannan