Seeking Android App : Show what note a voice is singing

Tom Coleman

Jan 8, 2015, 3:12:37 PM1/8/15
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Seeking an Android app to show the most prominent frequency flowing into the microphone, by extracting the most prominent frequency captured via echoprint.
I believe the echo print is a hash of frequencies to durations or amplitudes, so I can use some math and figure out the dominant tone.

Goal: I'd like my kids to have voices that can hit the perfect pitch.  They see a musical note and can accurately sing at that key.

To reach this goal I'd like to create a game which gives feedback on what note their voice is currently providing.

Android App:
1. randomly select a note from some range
2. show that musical note on the display
3. listen for a voice singing a note
4. run echo print against the incoming audio stream
5. show live feedback with
5. a. variance percentage over the last 3 seconds
5. b. note being sung
5. c. variance from the desired note - slightly flat / sharp
5. d. an arrow showing what direction to bring the voice to make it correct.

Don't you think this could be a fun game?

My hope is that there is already an app out there that does something similar.
- capture a sound, show the echo print
- piano tuner ( tricky, multiple strings )
- violin / guitar tuner
- song transcriber ( play a chord, it shows the notes )

Thank you for any clues, keywords, links or ideas!
-tom

Tom Coleman

Jan 9, 2015, 3:53:01 PM1/9/15
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Ok, now I feel stupid, there are hundreds of apps for showing the current note on voice or musical instrument.  I'm currently ramping up on building apps and will post when I have something working.  Probably it will just use fast fourier transform and show a single note, but I would like to see echo print working.

First app to publish: Sound Scavenger Hunt = help the user record 10 sounds that fit some note range.  Upon completion play back a simple song using the captured notes.  With echo print I imagine I could also ask for rhythm, or some pattern.

Brandon Boone

Apr 1, 2015, 11:34:18 PM4/1/15
to echo...@googlegroups.com