echoprint server speed

Martin Quevedo

Feb 25, 2014, 5:32:51 PM2/25/14
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I just took an MP3 file (Eminem- If I Had.mp3), cut a 30 seconds piece and ran it with codegen.

I used the the resulting code against echonest server and it took about 2 seconds to give me the answer.
I did the same thing with a local server I have here and it took about 15 seconds to decode.

My server has 2 Intel XEON 5140 processors with 8GM RAM.

Is it possible that this huge difference in response time is due to hardware capacity?
Is there any other possible reason?

Regards,
Martin

David DesRoches

Feb 26, 2014, 8:24:16 AM2/26/14
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

How many tracks are indexed in your local server?

The servers behind The Echo Nest's Echoprint identification API are quite powerful with fast IO to support many simultaneous requests. I wouldn't make too much of the disparity with your local server. If you want to improve performance on your single machine, take a look at caching the index in RAM or using a fast RAM- or SSD-based storage.

David

David DesRoches
Lead Audio Engineer
The Echo Nest

Martin Quevedo

Feb 26, 2014, 12:12:30 PM2/26/14
to echo...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

I ingested all json files in http://echoprint.me/data_download site.

It is approximately 1 million songs

Is there an special process to index the ingested songs?

I do have the feeling it should be faster.

Regards,

Martin

Daniel Cukier

Mar 12, 2014, 4:43:42 PM3/12/14
to echo...@googlegroups.com
You will have problems with a lot of tracks. I noticed some improvement when I changed solr index to an SSD hard drive.

Take a look at our branch in github:

We did some small performance improvements.

Since echonest is not updating nor accepting pull requests for the echoprint-server, I think the community will have to take this project on by itself.