FEST moving to Java 6. Any objections? May be Java 7?

Alex Ruiz

Aug 21, 2012, 8:49:33 AM8/21/12
to easytesting
Greetings,

Currently FEST compiles against Java 5, which entered the EOL (end of life) process back in 2007. Java 6 will next year.

It makes sense that at this point we should move on. I'm being conservative: what I'd like is to move to Java 7.

If there are no objections, I'll move the project to compile against Java 6.

Does anybody care about Java 7?

Thanks,
-Alex

Joel Costigliola

Aug 21, 2012, 8:55:27 AM8/21/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
I agree on Java 6 migration.
I think Java 7 migration is too early, at least for my current project, we are in Java 6  we don't have any Java 7 migration plan yet.

Regards,

Joel

Martin Leon

Aug 22, 2012, 3:50:25 PM8/22/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Yes Alex, unfortunately or fortunately the product I utilize FEST to test has an OS X version that is suffering with performance issues that are Java 6 / OS X specific and have been remedied in Java 7 and our customers are eager to use Java 7 for this purpose.  We don't care about Java 7 specific features, we just want to be able to test our product using FEST running under Java 7.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get the tests running under Java 7.  The place where it seems to hang up is in trying to click on a menu item.  The cursor goes up into the corner of the screen and stays there for about 30 seconds until I get an ActionFailedException (see below).  I am attaching the application and test.  It runs fine under Java 6 with or without the 'apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar' property being set.

I think especially for the Mac OS X community, being able to run FEST tests under Java 7 is going to be something that is needed ASAP.  I hope you consider this a good enough reason for a Java 7 / OS X compatible version of FEST.

Thanks so much!

Running on:

OS: Mac OS X 10.7.4 x86_64

Java: Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_06

Exception in thread "main" org.fest.swing.exception.ActionFailedException: Clicking on menu item <javax.swing.JMenu[name=null, text='File', selected=false, enabled=true, visible=true, showing=true]> never showed a pop-up menu

at org.fest.swing.exception.ActionFailedException.actionFailure(ActionFailedException.java:33)

at org.fest.swing.driver.JMenuItemDriver.ensurePopupIsShowing(JMenuItemDriver.java:137)

at org.fest.swing.driver.JMenuItemDriver.click(JMenuItemDriver.java:73)

at org.fest.swing.driver.JMenuItemDriver.activateParentIfIsAMenu(JMenuItemDriver.java:97)

at org.fest.swing.driver.JMenuItemDriver.show(JMenuItemDriver.java:79)

at org.fest.swing.driver.JMenuItemDriver.click(JMenuItemDriver.java:71)

at org.fest.swing.fixture.JMenuItemFixture.click(JMenuItemFixture.java:84)

at com.test.NewSwingAppTest.doFESTtest(NewSwingAppTest.java:42)

at com.test.NewSwingAppTest.main(NewSwingAppTest.java:16)

NewSwingApp.java
NewSwingAppTest.java

Martin Leon

Aug 22, 2012, 3:54:00 PM8/22/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
The application I attached is just a very simple demonstration program to show the problem.  It is just a frame with a menu bar.  The test simply tries to click on the File / Exit menu item.  If there is some direction you can give me in troubleshooting this myself, that would be very helpful as this has now become an urgent needs since Oracle release a version of Java 7 for OS X.

Thanks for your help.

Alex Ruiz

Aug 23, 2012, 5:17:57 AM8/23/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

We can move FEST-Swing to Java 7 (if nobody else objects or cares.) Thanks for providing a test case to ensure it will work for you. Can you please file a bug in https://github.com/alexruiz/fest-swing-1.x/issues attaching the apps you provided in this thread?

Many thanks!
-Alex

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Martin Leon <marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
The application I attached is just a very simple demonstration program to show the problem.  It is just a frame with a menu bar.  The test simply tries to click on the File / Exit menu item.  If there is some direction you can give me in troubleshooting this myself, that would be very helpful as this has now become an urgent needs since Oracle release a version of Java 7 for OS X.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Aug 24, 2012, 1:12:16 PM8/24/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your enthusiastic support Alex.  I have filed a bug.

Alex Ruiz

Aug 24, 2012, 2:24:26 PM8/24/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Martin. I commented on the bug already. We will work on it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/easytesting/-/y3Sq_j54V-QJ.