[easytesting] Newbie observation: finding fest-util jar is too hard

David Eisner

May 17, 2010, 12:42:30 PM5/17/10
to easytesting
I'm just getting started with FEST Swing. While trying to get a basic
Hello World test going, I had some trouble finding the fest-util jar,
which seems to be necessary. I finally found the jar by scrolling to
the very bottom of the dependencies page and clicking the central
Maven repo link. [1] Before that, I kept clicking on the "fest-util"
link at the top of the page, then following the "Downloads" link on
that page, and getting nowhere.

Unless there's a reason for doing otherwise, I'd recommend adding fest-
util-1.1.1.jar to the Downloads page. [2]

-David

[1] http://fest.easytesting.org/swing/dependencies.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/fest/downloads/list

Alex Ruiz

May 17, 2010, 1:05:46 PM5/17/10
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I agree that it would be helpful to include fest-util as a separate download. But that would be the case if you want to use it standalone. The fest-swing distribution already contains all the dependencies, including the version of fest-util used to build it.

I never thought about having a separate download for fest-util, since I thought that those utilities were too simple to be used as a standalone jar :D ...Like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Please let me know if my response makes sense :)

Cheers,
-Alex

David Eisner

May 17, 2010, 3:11:11 PM5/17/10
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Alex Ruiz <alex.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that it would be helpful to include fest-util as a separate
> download. But that would be the case if you want to use it standalone. The
> fest-swing distribution already contains all the dependencies, including the
> version of fest-util used to build it.

Alex,

Thanks for the quick response. So I must be doing it wrong (TM). I'm
running FEST Swing in a JUnit (4.5) test inside Eclipse (3.5). These
are the FEST-related jars I have in my build path:

MultithreadedTC-1.01.jar
fest-assert-1.2.jar
fest-mocks-1.0.jar
fest-reflect-1.2.jar
fest-swing-1.2rc.jar
fest-util-1.1.1.jar

If I don't include fest-util-1.1.1.jar, I get this exception when I
run the JUnit test:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/fest/util/Strings
at org.fest.reflect.method.StaticMethodName.validateIsNotNullOrEmpty(StaticMethodName.java:71)
at org.fest.reflect.method.StaticMethodName.startStaticMethodAccess(StaticMethodName.java:64)
at org.fest.reflect.core.Reflection.staticMethod(Reflection.java:179)
at org.fest.swing.edt.FailOnThreadViolationRepaintManager.currentRepaintManager(FailOnThreadViolationRepaintManager.java:51)
at org.fest.swing.edt.FailOnThreadViolationRepaintManager.install(FailOnThreadViolationRepaintManager.java:44)
at david.playground.FestTestGUITest.setUpBeforeClass(FestTestGUITest.java:26)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:27)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:31)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:220)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:46)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.fest.util.Strings
... 22 more

OK, I see what happened. I exploded the fest-swing-1.2rc zip, saw the
fest-swing-1.2rc.jar in the root directory, and added that to my build
path. If I had just looked into the lib subdirectory, I would have
seen the other jars already there (including fest-util). Sorry for
the bother.

-David