easyrtc for ios and Android

Thabungba Meetei

Apr 16, 2015, 6:09:05 AM4/16/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Hi EasyRTC,

Is there any client library for easyrtc on Android and ios. There are links for help to thesehttp://easyrtc.com/docs/browser/easyrtc.php but I can't find any code, which I can use for Android/ios. My signalling server is on node.js using Socket.io, from easyrtc itself and the browser app is working fine. Can I have help on how to use it for mobile apps.

Eric Davies

Apr 16, 2015, 5:11:54 PM4/16/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
We keep trying to get rid of those android and ios references on the easyrtc.com page, but they keep coming back somehow. it's very aggravating. I've just asked our web guy to kill them.

At one point, we were going to licence some native api's, but when we analysed how much we could charge versus how much it would cost us to support them, it was a money losing proposition, so we gave it up as a product.

If you want to build build some api's and license them yourself, I suggest start with https://github.com/pristineio/webrtc-build-scripts. From there, it's a matter of porting the easyrtc.js clientside to Java or Objective C. Unless you've got some experienced android or ios developers with C++ background, I wouldn't suggest going down that path. The languages are easy, the development ecosystem can have a steep learning curve, in particular ferreting out memory leaks on the iOS side (multihreaded code in multiple languages and multiple memory management schemes).

I'm not aware of anybody who has developed easyrtc native libraries that is licensing them.

Leonardo Rojas

Sep 25, 2015, 10:02:58 AM9/25/15
to EasyRTC
Hello Eric,

I found these open source iOS native clients for WebRTC:

Do you think is it possible to modify any of them to connect to a EasyRTC open source server?

Thanks!,
Leo

Eric Davies

Sep 25, 2015, 10:25:35 AM9/25/15
to EasyRTC
There is also http://www.webrtc.org/native-code/ios which is google's own code base. The ISBX site is really using this.
Last I checked openwebrtc, the maintainers were still advising against using it for a production environment. It has limitations.

The answer is yes, it is quite possible. You basically just have to port the javascript code in easyrtc.js client (or that portion that you actually use) to Objective C or Java. That's is what we've done with our iOS offering. Its just a question of whether it's cost effective for you to devote the manpower do that.

Leonardo Rojas

Sep 25, 2015, 10:47:13 AM9/25/15
to EasyRTC
Thank you Eric, we'll continue exploring options for iOS.

Pranav Khandelwal

Jul 22, 2017, 4:11:44 PM7/22/17
to EasyRTC
Do we have iOS and android support in EasyRTC?

Eric Davies

Jul 22, 2017, 6:13:56 PM7/22/17
to EasyRTC
no change since the above dialog. Its not something we are working on.