Earthworm 7.11: Is It Suitable for Production Environment?

jona...@ntu.edu.sg

Jan 25, 2023, 3:23:43 AM1/25/23
to Earthworm Community Forum
Happy New Year Earthworm team,

I am delighted to see a new Earthworm 7.11 uploaded to EarthwormCentral on Jan 20.

I have a brand new server with a brand new Rocky Linux 8.7 waiting to install earthworm and replace the old CentOS7 server.

I noticed the word, "alpha", in the downloaded file. So, I'm a bit worried.
  • How suitable is this release for production environment?
  • Should I dive straight in?
  • Or should I wait awhile for the stable version?
  • Do you have any estimate on when the stable version will arrive?
Thanks,
Jonah

Paul Friberg

Jan 25, 2023, 7:57:45 AM1/25/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Jonah,

Happy New Year!!  We have been using it in production at ISTI on Rocky 8, but it still needs more testing and there will be more issues closed in our gitlab.com repository before we finally release it, but we figured it would be good to get it out there for others to help test.

The newest feature, called ewconfig is not yet in this distro, but it is a new tool that allows you to take a StationXML or Dataless SEED and build all of the necessary channel and station files as well as response files for an Earthworm system. This is a contribution by ISTI to the community. Stay tuned for more on this.

For those that want to get the latest, please download from the git repo and follow the compile instructions:

Regards,

Paul & team

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/33d0274c-9411-4edf-a7d5-e5fcdab4c912n%40googlegroups.com.

--
===================================
Paul Friberg   p.fr...@isti.com

Jonah Yong Chin Siong

Jan 25, 2023, 8:44:36 PM1/25/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com, Dannie Hidayat (Dr)

Thanks, Paul.

The new “ewconfig” sounds really exciting and useful. I believe it will help reduce human error when trying to setup new instances of Earthworm and/or seismic stations.

I will consult with Dannie before deciding whether we will immediately install the current 7.11 version or whether to wait a bit for a newer version.

Thanks,

Jonah

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/CALsXm6U1wBTajQx9FhACmCwXSgnArAN-OrXLW%2BJEcAGHkjFVsg%40mail.gmail.com.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its contents.
Towards a sustainable earth: Print only when necessary. Thank you.

Stefan Lisowski

Jan 30, 2023, 12:08:30 PM1/30/23
to Earthworm Community Forum
Note we'll likely have a beta version where we ask for testing somewhere down the road, that one we will deploy for various different operating systems.

To follow ISTI news and updates please subscribe to our newsletter "the isti letter" at  https://www.isti.com/newsletter-sign-up.