Update from Earth Outreach 5/29/12: Rio+20 and Google Maps Engine Hangout on Air

Google Earth Outreach

May 29, 2012, 11:23:37 AM5/29/12
to Google Earth Outreach Announcements
*Google Earth Outreach at Rio+20*

Google is planning some exciting activities at the upcoming Rio+20
United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in June! Coming
up first is our SD-Learning Event, a 2.5 hour technical training on
our cutting-edge mapping technologies.

Led by the Google Earth Outreach and Earth Engine teams with nonprofit
partners Imazon and Amazonas Sustainable Foundation, this training
presents a new set of technology, tools, case studies and partnerships
in support of sustainable development. Participants will gain an
overview and hands-on technical experience with the full suite of
Google mapping tools “from the ground to the cloud”, including Google
Earth Engine, the Imazon Deforestation Alert System, Open Data Kit on
Android, and Google Maps Engine. They will learn how to leverage these
tools to manage and promote sustainable development. Google along with
Brazilian nonprofit partner organizations will share best practices
and success stories in the use of these tools to build an Amazon
Deforestation Alert System powered by Google Earth Engine.

What: Rio+20 SD-Learning Event, “From the Ground to the Cloud: New
Tools for Sustainable Development”
When: June 17, 2012, 2-4 PM
Where: Room T-7, Major Groups Pavilion, RioCentro Convention Center.
Application: Interested candidates must be accredited for Rio+20 in
order to apply to attend this event. Applications can be submitted
between now and June 3rd through the Rio+20 website.

Link to apply:
http://www.uncsd2012.org/rio20/index.php?page=view&type=700&nr=102&menu=23

If you’re not planning on attending Rio+20, please feel free to
forward this to relevant colleagues that may be there.

*Google Maps Engine Hangout on Air*

Last week, we announced a new addition to the Google Earth Outreach
Grants program: Google Maps Engine, a platform for hosting, storing,
managing, and styling map data.

Blog post: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/05/google-maps-engine-grants-for.html

We’ll be chatting about the new Google Maps Engine grants program and
answering questions from potential grant recipients at a Hangout on
Air on the Google Earth Plus page this week. Join us!

Tune in on the Google Earth Plus page on Thursday, May 31st at 10:30am
PDT via this link: http://goo.gl/CHsQr