Health, Safety, and Nutrition

Jennifer Paris

Apr 8, 2017, 4:45:05 AM4/8/17
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Please share your resources related to a Health, Safety, & Nutrition course here. See the attached document to see what content must be addressed in courses in California Community Colleges that are CAP aligned.
Health_Safety_Nutrition_Outline9-11-15 (1).pdf

Jennifer Paris

Mar 22, 2018, 3:00:02 AM3/22/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Here is the Google Doc from the ECE OER Summit. This is currently still a working document that has not yet been vetted (for licensing).

Jennifer Paris

Mar 26, 2018, 7:06:58 PM3/26/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Caring for Our Children is a great resources from the AAP that covers a huge chunk of this course. It is now available free online (http://cfoc.nrckids.org/WebFiles/CFOC3_updated_final.pdf

We at COC are in the process of seeing about using the resource in our OER textbooks.

Jennifer Paris

Apr 29, 2018, 1:25:25 AM4/29/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
The Institute of Child Nutrition has a resource library. All of the resources are available as .pdfs for free download and printing.

professorspru...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2018, 3:12:25 PM4/30/18
to early-childhood-educa...@googlegroups.com
Another resource for Health, Safety, and Nutrition of Young Children is the following from the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education:

http://cfoc.nrckids.org/

You can actually download the entire book in PDF (613 pages--on the site, it's very specific and states 'free downloads' since they have no copyright information) called Caring for our Children:  National Health and Safety Performance Standards; Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs (3rd edition):  http://cfoc.nrckids.org/files/CFOC3_updated_final.pdf

I use this specifically for our Health, Safety, and Nutrition class and was the first ECE course that I developed an OER for.

Jennifer Paris

Apr 30, 2018, 3:14:26 PM4/30/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
We are working on getting permission to use it within our textbook. I am not sure what the outcome will be though. I will update when I learn more.

Jennifer

professorspru...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2018, 3:24:22 PM4/30/18
to early-childhood-educa...@googlegroups.com
We removed all textbooks.  The courses we have are fully OER online.  All our sources are uploaded into Blackboard as Modules (each Module is a specific topic) and we link to them.  Students have to log into Blackboard for the OER's and our Library does have loaner laptops.  I write up my own Overviews, discussions, and exams for all our OER classes due to there not being many ECE sources.  As of fall, we will have 8 with all going through Quality Matters Peer Review.  We will also begin the process of creating 3 more classes as OER's in the fall (we have 3 full time faculty in ECE and they are all assisting via a grant that I wrote up and we were approved for).
Message has been deleted

amanda taintor

Jun 6, 2018, 12:45:09 AM6/6/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Here is the link to the google sheet to sign up to write

Jennifer Paris

Jun 6, 2018, 1:51:56 AM6/6/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Message has been deleted

Jennifer Paris

Jun 6, 2018, 4:06:33 PM6/6/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Jun 12, 2018, 5:33:05 PM6/12/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
We did not receive permission to use it in the books. The parts they would let us use, they were going to charge us. I figure it can work as a supplement or part of ZTC course though.

Jennifer Paris

Jun 13, 2018, 4:08:35 PM6/13/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Today in the webinar we learned about this great learning/teaching resource:

Virtual Early Education Center - online tool that incorporates CFOC [which are standards for Health, Safety, and Nutrition) in a virtual early care center. https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/health-services-management/article/virtual-early-education-center-veec

And yes, it's 508 compliant (accessible)!

Laura Paciorek

Jun 14, 2018, 6:23:00 PM6/14/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
I couldn't tell if you had this book Lifespan Nutrition During Childhood and Adolescence.  I am finding the childhood part to be helpful in the growth and development class for Middle Childhoo.

Jennifer Paris

Jun 25, 2018, 8:25:03 PM6/25/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
There is a checklist related to Health and Safety and some useful items in the Appendices in this: http://www.eec.state.ma.us/docs1/research_planning/ta_earlychildprogstan.pdf (able to use freely for education, non-commercial purposes)

amanda taintor

Jul 12, 2018, 2:45:14 PM7/12/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

amanda taintor

Jul 12, 2018, 5:34:34 PM7/12/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Protect the Ones You Love: Child Injuries are Preventable: Great CDC Resource

amanda taintor

Sep 2, 2018, 4:23:23 PM9/2/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
I haven't gone through this at all but the title indicates there might be something useful
https://open.bccampus.ca/find-open-textbooks/?uuid=08bc1e30-2b29-48a2-b23f-0945112fa2f8&contributor=&keyword=&subject=

Jennifer Paris

Sep 19, 2018, 12:09:19 PM9/19/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This is a federal government site with health information on it. If you go to this page you can choose the age range (infant/toddler or children would be applicable for our work) to get specific information.

amanda taintor

Sep 20, 2018, 11:59:50 AM9/20/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This had some great resources! Thanks Kendra Mull for finding it http://www.heart-resources.org/topic/early-childhood-development/

Jennifer Paris

Jan 16, 2019, 3:24:56 PM1/16/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Feb 21, 2019, 4:39:10 PM2/21/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
I compiled some resources for a colleague for the health portion of this class and thought it might useful to share that list here:

-CDC's website (which is free to use as it is public domain). When you know what you look for it helps. I have found these today:

  - mental health: https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/

  - asthma: https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/childhood-asthma/index.html

  - cerebral palsy: https://www.cdc.gov/dotw/cerebral-palsy/

  - immunizations: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/

  - disparities in health: https://www.cdc.gov/grand-rounds/pp/2016/20160315-childhood-development.html

-I also found this: https://healthfinder.gov/HealthTopics/ (not a lot there though)

-We can use Title 22 licensing (this portion specifically address health in several sections: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/Portals/9/Regs/4cccman.pdf?ver=2018-04-30-113812-193)

-I think the Health domain in the both the CA Preschool Learning Foundations (https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/documents/psfoundationsvol2.pdf)  and Curriculum Framework (https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/documents/psframeworkvol2.pdf) have some good information that we have permission to use.

-Guideline 6 in Part III of the CA Preschool Program Guidelines has good stuff (and we have permission to use this too): https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/documents/preschoolproggdlns2015.pdf#search=preschool%20program%20guidelines&view=FitH&pagemode=none

-Chapter 5 in the Infant/Toddler Program Guidelines has information that we have permission to use: https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/documents/itguidelines.pdf

-The Health, Safety, and Nutrition competency may have stuff we have permission to use: https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/documents/ececompetencies2011.pdf

- This Australian government website is CC BY: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/children/babies/checks

- This has a bit: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Foundations_and_Current_Issues_of_Early_Childhood_Education/Chapter_8/8.2

-Something I found myself doing when I could find no good content, was to find something that was related/basic and use that as a starting point and then add in content in my own words to improve it/make it childhood specific, such as this book aimed at adult health: https://www.canyons.edu/Offices/DistanceLearning/OER/Documents/Health%20Science%20100%20V3.pdf

Jennifer Paris

Mar 21, 2019, 11:36:49 PM3/21/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Not openly licensed, but free to use/distribute: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/providerparent/Health-Safety/Main-HS.htm

Jennifer Paris

Mar 27, 2019, 1:34:21 PM3/27/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
There is a brand new (4th) edition to the Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs. This resource is mentioned toward the top of the thread (it is fully copyrighted and they will not give permission for it to be used to create OER), but it's a great resource that students can access digitally for free: http://nrckids.org/files/CFOC4%20pdf-%20FINAL.pdf

Jennifer Paris

Mar 28, 2019, 2:20:21 PM3/28/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This Lumen course utilizes the University of Hawaii textbook and has several lectures that are licensed CC BY 4.0 (you have to scroll the last slide of each presentation to find this information): https://courses.lumenlearning.com/atd-housatonic-nutrition/

Jennifer Paris

Mar 28, 2019, 2:42:14 PM3/28/19
to early-childhood-educa...@googlegroups.com

Jennifer Paris

Mar 28, 2019, 2:51:12 PM3/28/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This textbook (although it is referred to as a course) is CC BY SA and it downloads into Word documents for easy use: http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/388

The abstract of what it includes: This is one of the continuing professional development courses offered by African Medical Research Foundation (AMREF) through distance learning. This course has been revised and contains the most current concepts such as the integrated management of childhood diseases (IMCI), care of the newborn and HIV/AIDS. // Unit 1: Introduction to the course // Unit 2: Integrated management of childhood illnesses // Unit 3: Clinical problem solving // Unit 4: Common problems of the newborn // Unit 5: Growth and development // Unit 6: Health education, promotion and counselling // Unit 7: Nutrition // Unit 8: Anaemia // Unit 9: Immunisation // Unit 10: Malaria // Unit 11: Diarrhoea // Unit 12: Acute respiratory infections // Unit 13: Common ear, nose and throat conditions // Unit 14: HIV/AIDS // Unit 15: Helminthiasis // Unit 16: Oral, eye and skin conditions // Unit 17: Children's mental health problems // Unit 18: Common injuries and accidents // Unit 19: Disabilities and rehabilitation: part 1 // Unit 20: Disabilities and rehabilitation: part 2 // Unit 21: Other conditions

Jennifer Paris

Apr 9, 2019, 8:36:55 PM4/9/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Here are some copyrighted resources that could be used with a Zero Textbook Cost course form California Childcare Health Program:

Student Handbook: https://cchp.ucsf.edu/sites/g/files/tkssra181/f/PHT-Handbook-Student-2018-FINAL.pdf

Teacher Manual: https://cchp.ucsf.edu/sites/g/files/tkssra181/f/PHT-curriculum-2018-FINAL.pdf

All the training materials: https://cchp.ucsf.edu/content/topics/preventive-health-training

Health and Safety Checklist (pdated as of January 2019)https://cchp.ucsf.edu/sites/g/files/tkssra181/f/1-31-2019-HS_Checklist.pdf

to...@peach4ece.org

Apr 25, 2019, 6:23:34 PM4/25/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
The video has a transcript but is not closed captioned. Is that considered 508 compliant?

jennife...@canyons.edu

Apr 26, 2019, 1:02:16 AM4/26/19
to early-childhood-educa...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, you're right Toni. I must have taken someone else's word for it. :(

Jennifer Paris

May 8, 2019, 7:25:38 PM5/8/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Head Start is truly a treasure trove of public domain resources! Here is a list I quickly put together (please double-check licensing as they do link out to external resources that many not be public domain and I may have missed those).

Nutrition:

Health Resources:

Mental health:

Oral Health:

Physical Health:

Screenings:

Miscellaneous

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/active-play-family-tips.pdf (may pair well with nutrition and available in 8 other languages)

Safety: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices (landing page on which to find many, many, resources - similar to those listed above for nutrition and health)

Jennifer Paris

May 8, 2019, 7:27:22 PM5/8/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Head Start resources on screening that do have health/wellness focus, but may have some information that can be more generalized

Jennifer Paris

May 8, 2019, 7:48:41 PM5/8/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
SCRIPT NC has given permission for their resources to be used for non commercial purposes. But most of their content is linked to a outside resources that are copyrighted (that could be used for a ZTC, but not for OER). Here is their landing page for Health, Safety, and Nutrition: https://scriptnc.fpg.unc.edu/node/683

Jennifer Paris

May 17, 2019, 7:01:49 PM5/17/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website: https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-education/safety-guides/playgrounds (unless otherwise stated/linked out to copyrighted materials, should be public domain).

Jennifer Paris

May 17, 2019, 7:05:22 PM5/17/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Head Start's Program Standards related to Health (public domain):https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/policy/45-cfr-chap-xiii/1302-subpart-d-health-program-services

Jennifer Paris

Jul 6, 2019, 4:46:35 AM7/6/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This version is published by Head Start, so it should be public domain (and there is no copyright information to contradict this): https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/caring-for-our-children-basics.pdf

Jennifer Paris

Aug 5, 2019, 8:05:23 PM8/5/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Head Start resources on Safety (as far as I could see these are all public domain)

Wellness:

PowerPoint: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/no-search/sfhf-embedding-health-safety-program-culture.pdf

Video: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/embedding-health-safety-your-programs-culture

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/strategies-create-positive-learning-environments-children-staff

Safety:

Playground safety transcript: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/video/transcripts/001942-Playgrounds-Promote-Safe-and-Fun.pdf (video: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/playgrounds-promote-safe-fun-outdoor-play-head-start-child-care)

Creating a Culture of Safety

10 Actions: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/create-culture-safety

Video: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/creating-enhancing-culture-safety

Active Supervision Resources

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/active-supervision-child-safety

Guiding Questions for Active Supervision booklet: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/guiding-questions.pdf

Six Strategies: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/active-supervision

For babies: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/keeping-babies-safe-active-supervision-infants-toddlers

For preschoolers: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/creating-safe-engaging-learning-environments-active-supervision-preschoolers

Zoning: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/zoning-maximize-learning

Summer Safety: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/summer-safety-tips-early-care-education-programs

Winter Safety: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/planning-winter-emergencies

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/cold-weather-safety

Tips For families (in many languages):  https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/safety-injury-prevention-health-tips-families

Poisonous plants: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/even-plants-can-be-poisonous

Hazard mapping: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/create-culture-safety

Safety by age

Young infants: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/tips-keeping-children-safe-developmental-guide-young-infants

Mobile infants: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/tips-keeping-children-safe-developmental-guide-mobile-infants

Toddlers: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/tips-keeping-children-safe-developmental-guide-toddlers

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/tips-keeping-children-safe-developmental-guide-preschoolers

Child Passenger Safety: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/transportation/article/child-passenger-safety

Guide to Safety Conversations with Families: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/guide-safety-conversations-families

Safe Sleep video: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/strategies-support-safe-sleep-environments-early-childhood-education-programs

Environment Design

Designing Environments Suite of resources: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/designing-environments

Environment as Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/environments-as-curriculum-pdf-july-2010.pdf

Toys for infants and toddlers: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/ehs-tip-sheet-32.pdf

Safe and engaging preschool learning environments: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/browse/topic/safety-practices?type=All&keyword=All&audience=All&options=All&res-type=All&page=6

Guidance:

Transitions (video and resources): https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/classroom-transitions

Child Maltreatment

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/preventing-shaken-baby-syndromeabusive-head-trauma

Emergency Preparedness

Manual: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/emergency-preparedness-manual-early-childhood-programs.pdf

Video introducing manual: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/introducing-emergency-preparedness-manual-early-childhood-programs)

Newsletter: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/newsletter/health-services-newsletter-its-time-prepare-emergences-disasters

Children’s’ response to crisis and tragic events: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/tips-keeping-children-safe-developmental-guide-preschoolers

Helping Children cope: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/helping-your-child-cope-after-disaster

Potentially Violent Situations: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/responding-potentially-violent-situations

Helping children cope with domestic violence: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/silent-realities

Landslides: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/preparing-landslides-or-mudslides

Tornados: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/publication/preparing-tornado-season

Office of Hunan Services, Emergency Preparedness and Response: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ohsepr

Staff Wellness:

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/video/promoting-organizational-staff-wellness

Mold:

https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/mold-prevention-remediation-strategies-control-removal-fungal-growth

Pest control:

Dos and Don’ts https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/dos-donts-pest-control

Integrated pest management: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/safety-practices/article/bugged-bugs-try-integrated-pest-control-management-ipm

Jennifer Paris

Oct 9, 2019, 1:53:41 AM10/9/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
CPSC's Guide to Buying Toys for Children Birth to Age 5 (public domain): https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/2_0.pdf

Looks pretty dated and is scanned as an image, so you cannot copy and paste,

Jennifer Paris

Apr 20, 2020, 1:24:23 PM4/20/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Aug 12, 2020, 7:01:21 PM8/12/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

The long-awaited Health, Safety, and Nutrition textbook is done! You can find the book in this folder in both Word and PDF. Please note: I did notice that there are some minor bugs to fix in Version 1.1.

The attribution for the book (you would use this if you want to make your own “version”) is: "Safety, Health, and Nutrition" by Jennifer ParisCollege of the Canyons is licensed under CC BY 4.0

If you want to contribute or find supplementary resources, check out the Google Group for the book

Jennifer Paris

Nov 11, 2020, 2:27:49 PM11/11/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Here is a link to print the OER textbook (511 pages, paperback, 60# paper, standard color - $24.69 + shipping and tax) through Lulu.com:  https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/jennifer-paris-and-trudi-radtke-and-alexa-johnson-and-alex-gavilan/safety-health-and-nutrition-in-early-childhood-education/paperback/product-zw2p9w.html

amandata...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2021, 11:37:24 AM3/9/21
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
It’s All About Belonging | California MAP to Inclusion & Belonging (cainclusion.org)
Although not openly licensed these resources are free and could be used to help supplement information.

Jennifer Paris

Aug 4, 2021, 8:04:13 PM8/4/21
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Resources for COC’s Safety, Health, and Nutrition OER Textbook

If you are looking for the book as either Word document or PDF and other “document-based” resources that may be available, each book and its resources/derivatives/translations can now be found in one Google Drive folder: Health, Safety, and Nutrition Google Drive folder

If you are looking for a place to find the book and resources, but also share resources or for non-document based resources (such as links), please visit the Google Group: Health, Safety, and Nutrition Google Group

Book in LibreTexts

Link to print book in Lulu: Safety, Health, and Nutrition in Early Childhood Education (511 pages, paperback, 60# paper, standard color - $24.69 + shipping and tax)

Resource shells in Canvas Commons (link may not work if you are not logged into Canvas – you can search for Jennifer Paris to find it): OER Resources for Health, Safety, and Nutrition Canvas shell

Access quizzes created for the book: Enroll in the assessment Canvas shell (using your academic email address) at https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/EDGBJY. If you don’t yet have a Free for Teachers account, please select new user when enrolling. Once you are enrolled, your role will need to be changed to Teacher to allow you to export the quizzes. Then you can import them into your own course/s. Be sure to use the Select Content option when importing, so you only bring in the quizzes you want. Once you have enrolled, please bookmark this link to directly access the course (if you re-enroll, your role will go back to student) https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/2591542

Jennifer Paris

Aug 20, 2022, 9:11:58 PM8/20/22
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Faculty in Wisconsin created a version of the Health, Safety, and Nutrition book with content specific to Wisconsin. You can access the book in Word and PDF (to download for your own use) in this Google Drive subfolder

Professor Ohlaker

May 2, 2023, 11:44:18 PM5/2/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
I am searching for a quality video resource for students to conduct an outdoor safety environment evaluation… Please let me know if you can recommend any.

Thanks,
JoNeen

Nickie Evans

Jan 31, 2024, 12:09:10 PMJan 31
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Good morning is there an updated link for this site?