Urdu fonts

Mohammad Khan

Oct 9, 2012, 4:59:37 PM10/9/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
I know nothing of 'creating' fonts. I don't care. All I know is that Urdu fonts should be available, and there are people out there who can make this happen. So. Lets make this happen. InshAllah. :)

Jabran Rafique

Oct 9, 2012, 5:28:38 PM10/9/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

Thanks for starting the topic. There is a pending launch of Taaj Nastaleeq font by UrduWeb. This can be found at http://taj.alqlm.org Since these people at UrduWeb are already doing a wonderful job, i hope they will think further and get this or other fonts to open source web font project. Similar kind of discussion has also been reported. This repository that lists out all of fonts that support the Urdu script had been developed by people at UrduWeb. http://font.urduweb.org/ Lets see who else would like to have their input.

Regards,
Jabran

Sami Pasha

Oct 10, 2012, 4:22:10 AM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
urdu fonts can be used by making their web font kits correctly, i have recently used Jameel Noori font for my site www.islamic-studies.info andwww.islamicstudiesprogram.com, anyone who wants to use this font i shall be happy to share the web font kit with them.

Dave Crossland

Oct 10, 2012, 4:31:35 AM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

In order for fonts to be included, for any writing system, they need
to be licensed under the SIL Open Font License v1.1.

http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

http://scripts.sil.org/OFL_Faq

If you know of fonts available under this license, please let me know
on this mailing list :-)

Cheers
Dave

Jabran Rafique

Oct 10, 2012, 1:01:11 PM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

Thank you for dropping by. We are actually in a processing of gathering these information from local font developers and also from government research department CRULP. As soon as there is any further development, we will update at this platform. Meanwhile could you explain the term "Other License" under which Google Web Fonts submission page accepting the submission for consideration. Thank you.

Regards,
Jabran Rafique

Dave Crossland

Oct 10, 2012, 1:48:44 PM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

The 'other license' item on the form is just to let me know that the
license isn't the OFL but another open source license, making it more
likely to be able to make the fonts available under the OFL.

Cheers
Dave

Jabran Rafique

Oct 10, 2012, 4:38:01 PM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi

That's great! Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Jabran Rafique

Mukarram Niyaz

Oct 10, 2012, 6:48:01 PM10/10/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Apart from the licence matter, I want to know one more thing.
Is it possible to add a font to Google web font directory with its size ranging from 10 to 15MB?
Since urdu nastaleeq font/s are of ligature based system, and normally in bigger size, hence this question arises.
Thanks.

shahbaz

Oct 15, 2012, 3:07:25 PM10/15/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
The "Lateef" font on the early access page is supposedly a south Asian font, however, I can't see what it looks like. Is it nastaleeq urdu that we normally see in in printed material?

Khaled Hosny's 'Amiri' is a beautiful Naksh font. I hope we get some Urdu fonts of similar quality. There is some sample text at http://www.amirifont.org/.

Jabran Rafique

Oct 23, 2012, 7:55:24 AM10/23/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shahbaz

Friends at UrduWeb have developed this fonts repository for easy viewing. You can see the whole list of available fonts around the world here in one place. http://font.urduweb.org/

Regards,
Jabran

shahbaz

Oct 23, 2012, 9:20:42 PM10/23/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Jabran,
The list is quite fantastic. I wish the licenses were more clear so web developers could know which fonts they can use on their website freely and which require licenses.
Is the UrduWeb list yours? It will be very nice to be able to paste our own Urdu text in there and see how it looks in various fonts!

Shameel Qureshi

Oct 24, 2012, 10:16:59 AM10/24/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
I just checked Lateef font on my test website.

Shameel Qureshi

Oct 25, 2012, 3:14:59 AM10/25/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Here is a screen shot Amiri Arabic font testing on my local host wordpress site.

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:59:38 AM UTC+5, Mohammad Khan wrote:
Amiri Arabic font testing.png

Shameel Qureshi

Oct 25, 2012, 3:18:18 AM10/25/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com

Shameel Qureshi

Oct 25, 2012, 6:51:18 AM10/25/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Amiri Arabic font presentation after increasing paragraph line height. Looking beautiful.

Mohammad Khan

Oct 27, 2012, 11:00:53 AM10/27/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
This may be a dumb question: are you accessing these fonts via the Google fonts library? Or using some WP plugin?

Will this display across all users? Platform independent? i.e. how is it being rendered?

Thank you. And to save time, you can point me to online resources that explain this instead of writing it out yourself.
Thanks and God bless,
M.

LifeETC by Momekh http://blog.momekh.com

Momekh Social Social Media Agency

Google+ profile: Click here

Jabran Rafique

Oct 27, 2012, 4:59:47 PM10/27/12
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Mohammad,

You can almost embed any true type by converting them into specified web formats and then use CSS @font-face rules to import them into use at web page. If you search Google for @font-face CSS rule then you can find detailed specifications about this. A general knowledge can be read at w3school website.

Regards,
Jabran Rafique

Sent from iPhone

afta...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2013, 5:15:27 AM2/10/13
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Jabran,

Can we use UrduWeb fonts as Web Font just like Google Web Fonts (http://www.google.com/webfonts).

If yes than what is the syntax to reference a web font.

Waiting for your reply,

Aftab

Jabran

Feb 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM2/10/13

On 10 February 2013 10:15, <afta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jabran,

Can we use UrduWeb fonts as Web Font just like Google Web Fonts (http://www.google.com/webfonts).

If yes than what is the syntax to reference a web font.

Waiting for your reply,

Aftab

Hi Aftab

Yes, most fonts can be used as web font although not recommended depending upon various things i.e. font-size, font file type, support and also most important that you will need to adhere to licensing requirements. Nevertheless, you can learn at http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_font-face_rule.asp about how to use the custom fonts through CSS. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jabran Rafique

furqan saeed

May 5, 2013, 11:29:02 AM5/5/13
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com

furqan saeed

May 5, 2013, 11:42:44 AM5/5/13

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:22:10 PM UTC+5, Sami Pasha wrote:
urdu fonts can be used by making their web font kits correctly, i have recently used Jameel Noori font for my site www.islamic-studies.info andwww.islamicstudiesprogram.com, anyone who wants to use this font i shall be happy to share the web font kit with them.

dear sami pasha can u send me the font kit u used in your sites
     thanks

Ali Raza Barkati

Aug 21, 2013, 3:23:52 AM8/21/13
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:22:10 PM UTC+5, Sami Pasha wrote:
urdu fonts can be used by making their web font kits correctly, i have recently used Jameel Noori font for my site www.islamic-studies.info andwww.islamicstudiesprogram.com, anyone who wants to use this font i shall be happy to share the web font kit with them.

Sami  Want that font kit plzz Provide me i will be thankful to u...

Ammar IbneZia

Apr 3, 2014, 1:57:10 AM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I wonder if you're still checking it out and your offer is valid :)
I would like to mention some a few Urdu fonts that are open source and under GNU licence (in my best knowledge).

Nafees Nastaleeq:

Nafees Web Naskh:

Nafees Riqa:

Nafees Tehreer Naskh:

Nafees Pakistani Web Naskh:

Nafees Pakistani Naskh:

Each page has a link to font licence. I know they say it's beta version but they work fine and currently no more development is going on. Some of my contacts have personal relation with the head of the "Nafees Font Family" project so if you would like to know anything else, I will try my best to get it.
Urdu community will be very thankful to you and Google Fonts team to make Urdu fonts available.

Regards,
Ammar

Dave Crossland

Apr 3, 2014, 6:45:50 AM4/3/14
On 3 April 2014 06:57, Ammar IbneZia <a.ib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> under GNU licence

Would you be willing to contact the copyright owners and ask them to
move from GNU GPL to SIL OFL? :)

Mukarram Niyaz

Apr 3, 2014, 7:24:12 AM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com, da...@lab6.com
Ammar,
I think you can contact directly to Mohsin Hijazi in this regard. I think he is able to help out Dave Crossland.

-Mukarram Niyaz

Ammar IbneZia

Apr 3, 2014, 7:23:33 AM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Okay. Let me ask him. :)
But is it necessary? Can't we go with GNU GPL license even when it is open-source?
Have you read the following licence page?

_______
Ammar

Ammar IbneZia

Ammar IbneZia

Apr 3, 2014, 7:29:38 AM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com, da...@lab6.com
Dear Mukarram,

Actually my vote is not for Pak Nastaleeq. It has lack of support and compatibility. Nafees font family is much better. I'm trying to contact Dr. Sarmad Hussain in this regard.

- Ammar

Dave Crossland

Apr 3, 2014, 7:30:49 AM4/3/14
to Ammar IbneZia, early-acc...@googlegroups.com

That licence is very very similar to the ofl with an rfn, so I can how that changing will be okay

The reason Google standardised on ofl or Apache was to simplify.

Mukarram Niyaz

Apr 3, 2014, 9:48:38 AM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ammar.
ofcourse, I do also know abt the drawbacks of Pak Nastaleeq and am also in favor of Nafees font family no matter if its even in Naskh.

-Mukarram Niyaz

Syed Mukarram Niyaz
www.taemeer.com|https://www.facebook.com/taemeer|http://twitter.com/taemeer|https://plus.google.com/+MukarramNiyaz|http://www.youtube.com/user/taemeer|http://www.pinterest.com/taemeer/
www.taemeernews.com : the very 1st daily Urdu News searchable web portal on the net
www.urdukidzcartoon.com : the very 1st Urdu cartoon/comics project on the net

Sawood Alam

Apr 3, 2014, 5:51:18 PM4/3/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shahbaz,

License information of each font was added to the best of font list maintainer's knowledge. Some independent font developers were not very much aware of licensing matters, hence things were not clear in many places. Unfortunately, we cannot fix the past. :)

Live preview of custom text was intentionally omitted at the time of the application development for few reasons:
  • It would require UrduWeb Font Server to use @font-face CSS directives for web-embedding that might violate licensing terms of many fonts.
  • Most of the popular Urdu fonts were under Nastaleeq category, utilizing ligatures, consequently they result in file size of several mega bytes. Web embedding was not suitable for them, especially on slow connections, people will have no clue why the text appears in some default ugly font, until the font file is loaded from server and suddenly everything changes.
As a fallback, we have chosen a small sample text that contains few Urdu and English letters, numbers in both the languages and a pair of symbols, rendered them using Pango (I guess) to generate static images and show them in the bottom right corner. On the right panel, we have added a CSS generator using some visual controls, applied it on a predefined text but the font will only take affect if it is installed on users' machine already. We have some plans to improve the Font Catalog application.

For more information, please read the discussion about the font server at the time of its debut at http://www.urduweb.org/mehfil/threads/32280/

On a related note, someone was asking about using fonts from UrduWeb directly for Web embedding, we don't appreciate such usage due to licensing issues and bandwidth limitations (mainly because of large font files.) If one wishes to use them for Web embedding, they should grab the font, upload it on their own servers and use it from their if the license allows. We do encourage people to advertise download links (e.g., using banners on blogs and other sites) of specific fonts from UrduWeb Font Server, that way we can make sure the delivery of latest version of fonts to the user. :)

Best,

--
Sawood Alam

Ammar IbneZia

Apr 10, 2014, 1:25:31 AM4/10/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com, Ammar IbneZia, da...@lab6.com
Well, I think if we can go with current license, we will have to go or otherwise will find a new font. I had a discussion over phone with Dr. Sarmad Hussain who was used to lead the project of Nafees Fonts Family. He told me that it was the project of National University Pakistan and and now he has left that university. Though this font family is open source but the concerned department of the university has rights to change its license. He suggested me to talk to the current head of the department. I dropped an email to him but didn't get any reply.

Please suggest if there is another way,

Ammar IbneZia

Apr 15, 2014, 6:36:32 AM4/15/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com, da...@lab6.com
any hope, Dave?

Hafiz Kamran

Jun 5, 2014, 10:35:59 PM6/5/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
i want to use jameel noori font for my website please share kit with me....Thanks

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:22:10 PM UTC+5, Sami Pasha wrote:
urdu fonts can be used by making their web font kits correctly, i have recently used Jameel Noori font for my site www.islamic-studies.info andwww.islamicstudiesprogram.com, anyone who wants to use this font i shall be happy to share the web font kit with them.

Hafiz Kamran

Jun 7, 2014, 6:27:58 AM6/7/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
plese send me font kit at hafizka...@gmail.com

Muhammad Shiraz

Dec 17, 2014, 2:54:40 AM12/17/14
to early-acc...@googlegroups.com
Salam Sami,

I am developing a website (www.urduquran.net) with Jameel Noori Nastaleeq font but CSS @font-face is not working.
I dont know much about font kit, please let me know if you can help me with this issue.

you can contact me on msh...@gmail.com

Thanks and Jazak Allah kahir

Mirza Ahtasham Ahmad

Dec 14, 2015, 12:21:08 PM12/14/15
to Google Web Fonts Early Access Discussions
aoa, can you share the Jameel Noori Font Kit...Thanks,

Mirza Ahtasham Ahmad

Dec 14, 2015, 12:22:02 PM12/14/15
to Google Web Fonts Early Access Discussions
looking forward to your reply...

Borna Izadpanah

Dec 15, 2015, 8:06:25 AM12/15/15
to Google Web Fonts Early Access Discussions
Hello/Salam everyone!
Sorry for jumping into your conversation. My name is Borna Izadpanah and I am an Iranian type designer based in the UK.
I am working on a new Arabic typeface and would very much like to know your opinion on the look of the Urdu characters. I've done my best to make it more interesting than a usual simplified Naskh Urdu but I'm not sure if it has been successful.
Please find in attached the character set and text in Arabic, Persian and Urdu + an introduction to the project.
I would very much appreciate your input.

All the best,
Borna

FilmFarsi_Test_15dec2015.pdf
Borna Izadpanah_Film-Farsi typeface_Intro.pdf

rvas...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 5:26:59 AM3/14/16
to Google Web Fonts Early Access Discussions
I have done Urdu fonts. Any requirement please con...@rajanvasta.com

rvas...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 5:29:06 AM3/14/16
to Google Web Fonts Early Access Discussions
Nice Character style