Unable to update frame error 11031

Diana SC

Feb 8, 2016, 11:18:28 AM2/8/16
to E-Prime
Hi everyone!

I'm desperate to get help. I'm a newbie in eprime and haven't done any scripts, I just did all the experiment by clicking the buttons. I'm showing very short videos (about 2 seconds most of them), all are .mpg files. Eprime has been really unstable because sometimes the experiment runs perfectly and other times it crashes and I get the message "Unable to update frame", with error number 11031 and the marker 261.

Does anyone have a clue why do I get this message?

Thanks!

Manson Fong

Feb 25, 2016, 7:38:44 AM2/25/16
to E-Prime
Hi Diana,

I'm having the exact same problem, and I've tried to play around with the pre-release parameter. It does have some influence on how long the experiment can go until the dreadful "Unable to update frame" occurs.  I wonder if adding "Wait" object at strategic positions, e.g., the end of each trial, would help at all.

Manson

David McFarlane

Mar 24, 2016, 2:33:26 PM3/24/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I don't suppose this is any consolation, but we also have a horrible
time getting movies to work with experiments, whether we use E-Prime or
PsychoPy. In the latest case, we got "Unable to buffer movie" and "An
error occurred while attempting to load the movie" (#11053) errors.
These were from ~60 sec clips ripped from movie DVDs (and processed to
level the sound volumes). Under some conditions (container file +
codec), clips would play OK until we got to about the 10th one (but not
necessarily the same clip), and then we would get "Unable to buffer
movie". Under other conditions, the program would crash right away with
"An error occurred while attempting to load the movie" (#11053).

We did a lot of mucking about. Most recently, we took our .avi files
that used the Camtasia codec, and used ffmpeg to transcode them to .avi
files using the MPEG4 codec (with a video bitrate of 2500 kbps), and so
far those seem to work. But in general, using movies for experiments
seems to involve a lot of voodoo, whether you use E-Prime or any other
experiment software platform.

-- David McFarlane

Samantha Emerson

Oct 18, 2016, 5:32:01 PM10/18/16
to E-Prime
Did you ever find a solution to the error?  Or do you just have to keep trying different video formats and hoping that one will work?  I keep getting the same error with 8 second videos.  The original videos were .mpg files, but I've tried converting them into .wmv files (as well as editing the formatting for how they're displayed in the E-Prime program), but I keep getting the same 11031 error after every 3 to 8 videos.
Any information would be useful!

Liz Chrastil

Oct 24, 2016, 12:31:10 PM10/24/16
to E-Prime
We're getting the same error as well.  I had a program that was working perfectly well on a slightly older version of EPrime, and moved it to a different computer and a slightly newer version of EPrime and now I'm getting the "unable to update frame" error.  We tried two different codecs for the videos.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

PHILLIP M Mahoney

Oct 24, 2016, 8:49:33 PM10/24/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Samantha,
I was having similar problems with a 3 second movie that I needed to reload over and over again with different audio. From sheer trial and error, I found a compromise solution that has worked for me.

First, you should convert to mpg, since that seems to be the most parsimonious format available. I used this online converter [link below, as well], which appears to be safe.

But the key, I think, is in reducing the pixel size of the video and reducing the number of frames per second. You can start really low and then bump it up until it crashes, and then drop it  back down again to find a reliable setting. My original video was something around the order of 1920 by 1080 pixels, which I found is just too much for e-prime to handle. Similarly, I was using a relatively high fps of 100. I found that I could reduce both of these variables significantly before it showed in the quality of the video, but then I have a very simple video.

That reminds me: I don't know what your video is, but it could be that, with a little ingenuity, you can do the same thing by other means. Worth considering.

Anyway, the online converter I linked to allows you to reset the size and fps of the original video, so I would recommend giving it a try.

Best of luck,
Phil

Phillip Mahoney, Ph.D.
pmah...@temple.edu
Message has been deleted

Samantha Emerson

Nov 1, 2016, 9:12:54 PM11/1/16
to E-Prime
Liz, mine was the exact same situation.  I had originally created the program on an older laptop using E-Prime 2.0.08, and then moved to a newer laptop with E-Prime 2.0.10.  I tried having the new laptop downgraded to 2.0.08, but still ran into the error.  I finally gave up, and found the old laptop to run it on.

Phillip, the movies were 8 second long and MPEG-1.  They're 352 X 240 and only 29 frames/second!  Surely E-Prime should be able to handle them without crashing!  I suspect that David's right that movies in E-Prime just run on voodoo alone.

Sam

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 11:18:28 AM UTC-5, Diana SC wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm desperate to get help. I'm a newbie in eprime and haven't done any scripts, I just did all the experiment by clicking the buttons. I'm showing very short videos (about 2 seconds most of them), all are .mpg files. Eprime has been really unstable because sometimes the experiment runs perfectly and other times it crashes and I get the message "Unable to update frame", with error number 11031 and the marker 261.

Does anyone have a clue why do I get this message?

Thanks!

nin...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2016, 8:28:44 AM11/29/16
to E-Prime
Hi guys,

I am running into the same problem, and my avi.-video (100x100px) is only 4 seconds long with a frame rate of 30fps.

Any new insights on this topic?

Thanks,
Kate