jumping out of a procedure

arm...@uchicago.edu

Apr 3, 2018, 6:14:41 PM4/3/18
to E-Prime
Is it necessary to exit out of multiple lists to jump from a procedure that's pretty embedded in an ePrime experiment?

I want to jump from the end of a procedure to the end of the experiment, and skip a bunch of other procedures. The experiment structure looks like this:

ExpList
  ExpProc
    PlayerList
      PlayerProc
        GirlList
          GirlProc
            MotivList
              MotivProc
         BoyList
           BoyProc
      End slide (currently at end of ExpProc)

So, the Girl and Boy Lists/Procs are on the same level, but I only want girls to go through the GirlProc and boys the boy. After a girl completes GirlProc, I'd like to jump to the end of the experiment.

Currently, I have a slide at the end of MotivProc where the participant responds with an 'x', and this is followed by inline code that reads:

If slide.RESP = "x" Then
  MotiveList.Terminate
End If

However, when I run the experiment, it's as if the inline isn't there. It automatically proceeds to what boys should see (BoyList/BoyProc).

Also, the 'goodbye' slide is at the very end of the ExpProc.

Does anyone know of how this might be fixed?

Thank you,

Mika

David McFarlane

Apr 6, 2018, 2:33:20 PM4/6/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Mika,

Judging from the program structure that you show, your inline code
properly terminates the MotiveList running within GirlList, which in
turn runs within PlayerList. Once terminated, the program then would go
on to run the rest of GirlList, and after that, go on to run the rest of
PlayerList. Since BoyList comes next in PlayerList, the program
properly goes on to run BoyList. So the program in fact works just as
it should.

If you want PlayerList to run one and only one row/level, then you
should look into using the Order setting of the List, setting that to
Counterbalance. You can learn more about Counterbalance from the Guides
that came with E-Prime, as well as by searching the PST Support website,
including an example program that you may download. You may also look
at the discussion in the thread at
groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/JtLh6DxqCbs .

That said, when I get stuck in a program like that I often find that if
I step back and rethink my project and do some bold rearrangement of the
structure then I can solve the problem, and avoid other problems that
have not even come up yet. The main thing is not to get too wedded to
any particular program structure just because it started working. Here,
e..g, I might consider using my GirlList and BoyList as nested Lists,
and then use an attribute from a higher order List to select which
nested List (Girl or Boy) to use during a run. That would compact and
simplify the structure somewhat. Yes, you can use attribute references
in the Nested column! I have used this trick in several of my own
E-Prime programs.

Best,
-- David McFarlane

On 2018-04-03 6:14 PM, arm...@uchicago.edu wrote:
> Is it necessary to exit out of multiple lists to jump from a procedure
> that's pretty embedded in an ePrime experiment?
>
> I want to jump from the end of a procedure to the end of the experiment,
> and skip a bunch of other procedures. The experiment structure looks like
> this:
>
> ExpList
> ExpProc
> PlayerList
> PlayerProc
> *GirlList*
> GirlProc
> MotivList
> MotivProc
> *BoyList*

Mikaela Armenta

Apr 6, 2018, 3:25:10 PM4/6/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David. I ended up putting a jump label at the end of BoyProc (jumping from the end of GirlProc to the end of BoyProc), and that solved it because the end of BoyProc terminates PlayerList.

You're definitely right though about not getting too wedded to a program structure, and I'll try and keep that in mind in the future. ... it's hard to climb out the rabbit hole when you've been climbing down it for a while!

Much appreciated,

Mika

Mika Armenta
Social Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory
University of Chicago