Re: Sound recording problems with 2 microphones

Message has been deleted

David McFarlane

Dec 21, 2017, 10:46:45 AM12/21/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I am a bit confused. Did you follow the video exactly first and get
SoundIn to work, only to have it fail when you tried combining SoundIn
with the SRBox for RT? Or did you go right to writing a program that
tried to do both, skipping the first step?

If it were me, I would start by making the simplest possible program
that did nothing more than use SoundIn, and get that to work all by
itself. To that end I might follow the video to make my demo, or/and
download the already written "SoundIn Scoring" example from PST.

(BTW, I include an exercise on SoundIn in my online E-Prime 2 course,
but I do not combine that with the SRBox.)

-- David McFarlane

On 2017-12-20 12:52 PM, Özge Bozkurt wrote:
> Hi everyone, we are conducting a vocal Stroop experiment in E-prime. We
> have two microphones. One is connected to the SR box and the other is
> connected to the external sound card.
>
> We do the exact things which are desribed in this
> video: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3Ds7TUulZtnrQ&d=DwIBaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=rVCe0bDlnqQHHAg2cizkHg&m=_BdX-7vGN2mB-ekJ608wCcvYwJ-AS8m5brPwlFJFTCQ&s=Mb5DEScQEjnO_kj_uMeRZIPdMYdYITYs3yzQyX4viFw&e=
>
> Even the RTs are recorded to the e-data file as milisecond, we could not
> record reactions. .wav files exist but they are empty.
>
> Is there anyone who record sound just using in e-prime, without any
> additional software? What could be done about that?
Message has been deleted

David McFarlane

Dec 21, 2017, 2:04:53 PM12/21/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Use a Slide object to present your stimulus, and include a SlideSoundIn
subobject on the Slide to record the sound at the same time.

-- David McFarlane

On 2017-12-21 12:45 PM, Özge Bozkurt wrote:
> Thank you for your help Mr. McFarlane
> Now I solve the recording problem. I could not get it till now, "SoundIn"
> object is related to the external sound card and the Input/Duration device
> is related to the SR box. Also, we should not add any device to the
> SoundIn object.
>
> Now I can record the sound but, the sound is recorded during the inter
> stimulus interval. How can I record during the presentation of the related
> stimulus?
>
> 20 Aralık 2017 Çarşamba 19:52:50 UTC+2 tarihinde Özge Bozkurt yazdı:
>>
>> Hi everyone, we are conducting a vocal Stroop experiment in E-prime. We
>> have two microphones. One is connected to the SR box and the other is
>> connected to the external sound card.
>>
>> We do the exact things which are desribed in this video:
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3Ds7TUulZtnrQ&d=DwIFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=rVCe0bDlnqQHHAg2cizkHg&m=VUiZ2S5BI78DwEjQrHeILipFBl25esL20na49ac7_k4&s=uTfgB45nqwbOdw2CWygh_Fdq_Z9nBnMTiFPpVxRhk5A&e=
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

David McFarlane

Dec 22, 2017, 10:38:13 AM12/22/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
To get a SlideSoundIn to work on a Slide I do the following:

- Set Buffer Size to how long I want the recording to run.

- Set Stop After to "No" if I want to keep recording after the Slide
object itself times out, set to "Yes" if I want the recording to end
when the Slide object times out (this does not affect the length of the
recording file, only how much of the file ends up actually containing
your recording).

- If I set Stop After to "Yes", set Stop After Mode to "NextOnsetTime",
unless I really need "OffsetTime" & understand why. None of this
matters if Stop After is set to "No". Probably best just to leave this
at "NextOnsetTime" unless you know better.

- Set End Capture to "(none)", "Terminate", or "Jump" depending on what
I want the program to do when the recording reaches its end; typically,
I would choose "(none)".

This has worked fine for me.

Now to combine this with sound RT, I would do the following:

1) Make the simplest program possible that simply uses a Slide &
SlideSoundIn to present a stimulus & record sound. Make sure that this
works and that I understand its operation.

2) Add an input mask to the Slide, probably using a Keyboard. Set the
End Action of the input mask to "(none)" in order to allow the recording
to continue after the response.

3) Add an SRBox device, and add that as an input mask to the Slide;
again, set End Action to "(none)" (remember that each input mask has its
own setting for End Action, etc.!). Set Allowable to "{ANY}", and use
the SRBox buttons to submit responses. Make sure that this all works as
desired.

4) Now plug the second microphone into the SRBox. The voice key acts as
button 6 on the SRBox. With Allowable set to "{ANY}", you should still
get responses using the buttons as well as with sound in the microphone
(and if you left the Keyboard input mask in place you could still use
that as well). Make sure that this all works as desired.

So just work up to this step by step, starting with simple components
that work and then combining them.

-- David McFarlane
"Better to start from success than from failure"

On 2017-12-22 9:55 AM, Özge Bozkurt wrote:
> Sorry for my mistake but the experiment still does not record the sound
> when both of the microphones are open.. We mistakenly shut down the SR box
> microphone and in this way external card record the sound but the RT was
> not recorded. I guess the microphone which is connected to the SR box is
> blocking the other one. Is there any way to resolve this problem? I am
> really sory for the flooding the page:/

>> Hi again. I solve the problem. If SlideSoundIn object will be used, the
>> end action for the sub property of SlideSoundIn should be "terminate"
>> rather than the "none". Our experiment worked just in this way.
>>
>> 20 Aralık 2017 Çarşamba 20:52:50 UTC+3 tarihinde Özge Bozkurt yazdı:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone, we are conducting a vocal Stroop experiment in E-prime. We
>>> have two microphones. One is connected to the SR box and the other is
>>> connected to the external sound card.
>>>
>>> We do the exact things which are desribed in this video:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3Ds7TUulZtnrQ&d=DwIFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=rVCe0bDlnqQHHAg2cizkHg&m=xfgZHBPIuyklpRp9q60dUZcV7aqukKjLlIiY0Xg6LXM&s=oF3H-pXnD6qI0AWU7F6g3aT6xwZm3D0zWolE1vEVNaA&e=
Message has been deleted