conditional feedback

Carlo Sestieri

Apr 20, 2015, 4:56:10 AM4/20/15
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I’m trying to run a simple item recognition experiment with E-Prime2.

At retrieval, subjects have to indicate whether the presented picture is old or new by pressing the key 4 or 6 and get a reward for correct answers.

Sometimes they are offered the possibility to opt out from the decision by pressing the key 5, which means they get less but sure reward.

I would like to provide feedback during practice, however the standard E-Prime feedback display seems to have only limited states.

So I made a simple inline where I specify the four possible response types of the stimulus slide (SlideOptOut) corresponding to different states of a subsequent standard slide (FeedbackCO).

If SlideOptOut.ACC = 1 Then

            FeedbackCO.ActiveState = "Correct"

ElseIf SlideOptOut.RESP = "5" Then

            FeedbackCO.ActiveState = "OptOut"

ElseIf SlideOptOut.RT <> 0 Then

            FeedbackCO.ActiveState = "Incorrect"

Else

            Feedback.ActiveState = "NoResp"

End If

The problem is that, regardless of the actual response, the active FeedbackCO state is always “Correct”.

I tried different ways to code the inline but ended up with the program giving me always just one among the possible active states.

Also, if I type

SlideOptOut.RESP = instead of SlideOptOut.RESP = “5”

The program gives me a Type mismatch error.

I thought that the response key did not require quotation marks.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot,

Carlo