Spatially separated tasks: presenting an image-word stimulus on the left and a text on the right

Alessia Coppola

Jan 11, 2017, 11:24:28 AM1/11/17
to E-Prime

Hi All,

I’m using e-prime for the first time because I need to conduct an experiment for my graduation thesis.

The experiment consists of two spatially separated task: the first task needs to appear on the left side of the screen and is a Stroop or a picture-word. The second task needs to be presented at the same time on the right side and is a decision task where the subject has to manually indicate the direction of an arrow (< or >).

So what I need to have is an image with a superimposed text on the left side and a text on the right side, appearing at the same time.

(Actually, I should also vary the SOA between the images and words of the first task in half of the trial).

I tried to use two Slides: the first slide presents an Image on the left and a Text on the right, followed by a second Slide presenting a Text on the left and a Text on the right (the same right Text of the first Slide). In this way I didn’t manage to find a way to superimpose the left text of the second Slide to the left Image of the first Slide. Have you a solution to this problem?

I read here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/e-prime/GCuTGRB5WDc that a way to superimpose a text to an image could be to have an ImageDisplay, with adequately regulated properties such as Clear After and Duration, followed by a Slide. But in this case I wouldn’t have the chance to present the second task on the right while presenting the image, in other words the right text would appear only when the left text is presented. Is it right? Am I missing something?

I really need some help,

Alessia.