Dynamic Choice presentation based on previous responses

Samuel West

Aug 21, 2017, 3:33:14 PM8/21/17
to E-Prime
Hello everyone,

I'm still relatively new to e-Prime, so I apologize if this should be more obvious but have been struggling to figure out how to do this.

In brief, I am building a delay discounting task such that participants have to chose a small reward now or a larger reward later.

If they choose the immediate reward, the immediate reward on the following trial is worth less, and if they chose the delayed reward, the immediate reward is higher.

This is a classic research paradigm on basic decision making and reward-seeking behavior, but we are adding another caveat to this by having participants "compete" against the computer (they are told it is another subject) in a reaction time task (essentially, who can press the space bar faster).

As such, the eprime task goes in this order Select Reward > Compete > Next Trial

My issue here is that I am having a hard time figuring out how to make the reward options on the following trial be calculated based off of the selected reward from the trial prior.

I'm using the mouse/hittest for input, but since this is a dichotomous choice task, all I need are 1 and 2 for correct responses. Is there a way to use jump labels like this where the jump doesn't occur until later based off of a response on an earlier slide?

Perhaps a slick little inline code to read the response and dictate the next trial options right after the competition slide?

I'm kind of stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help you may off!

-Sam