Cursor still appears unless I move the mouse

McFarlane, David

Jul 8, 2019, 3:30:05 PM7/8/19
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Omer,

I actually reported something very like this myself to PST Support back
in September 2017. I presume you use EP3, because I had no such problem
with either EP1 or EP2. In my case, I used simple TextDisplay stimuli
(not Movies), and the mouse cursor disappeared just fine but then failed
to reappear after Mouse.ShowCursor until I moved the mouse (sort of the
opposite of your report). I think the exact behavior may depend on
where you put the inline code and what else is happening before, during,
& after (PreRelease, etc.), but I have not explored this further.

PST Support confirmed this as a bug in EP3. I originally found this in
EP3.0.3.31, the first full release; just now I confirmed that EP3.0.3.80
(SP2, the latest release) still shows the bug.

I worked around this by adding a bit of code to explicitly redraw the
mouse cursor after any Mouse.ShowCursor command:

Mouse.ShowCursor True ' or False, depending on need
' Workaround to so that Mouse.ShowCursor takes effect without
requiring mouse
' movement: Force redraw of mouse cursor ...
Dim p As point
Mouse.GetCursorPos p.x, p.y
Mouse.SetCursorPos p.x, p.y

-- David McFarlane

On 2019-07-08 8:34 AM, Omer Gozu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new in E-Prime. I am trying to remove the mouse cursor while the
> videos are being played on the screen with the code Mouse.ShowCursor False before
> each video, but it seems the code is not becoming active unless I touch the
> mouse or touchpad. When I move the cursor it immediately disappears. If I
> don't touch anything cursor keeps on appearing on the screen. Before the
> upcoming screen I use Mouse.ShowCursor True to activate the mouse again to
> make participant answer some questions. On the next video same thing
> happens.
>
> Is there any specific clue about that or anything to add to the code?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Omer Gozu

Omer Gozu

Jul 16, 2019, 5:36:43 AM7/16/19
to E-Prime
Thanks David.

We added the lines you mentioned to the code and changed the PreRelease to 0 (default was "same as duration") on object properties and it worked fine.
--
Omer Gozu