Questions on Feedback Issues and End-Blocks

Justus Aw

Dec 26, 2016, 9:08:11 AM12/26/16
to E-Prime
Hello everyone.

My name is Justus, and I am an undergraduate tackling my final-year thesis in NTU, Singapore. I'm currently running E-Prime 2 Professional (Version 2.0.8.90) to create and run a variant of a Garner Speeded Classification task. Specifically, I'm getting participants to look at a dot on a blacked-out screen - the dot appears twice, and each appearance is accompanied by a sound clip. The sound clip changes in pitch (from low to high, or vice versa) and the dot either stays put or moves in a manner congruent or incongruent to the sound clips. Participants then respond with what direction that thought the dot moved by using the arrow keys on the keyboard attached to the PC. I have several variations of these trials, and I have one Blocklist that branches out into four TriaProcs - each TriaProc is structured identically.

The trouble I'm having is with these:

1. When participants fail to respond after 10 seconds, I added a Feedback slide to play a buzzer sound. I mapped this to the NoResponse slide of the Feedback. The SoundOut for NoResponse is structured such that the Filename is [NIL], where [NIL] is an Attribute on the Triallist that further draws the Buzzer WAV file. I have discovered that during the experiment, the buzzer sound plays only for some of the trials when there is no response, and there appears to be no pattern with regard to what trials do not play the buzzer sound when no response is given. I have checked the Triallist, and have even changed the Feedback NoResponse slide to draw the Buzzer WAV file straight without going through the Triallist, but the Buzzer sound still does not play for some of the trials when no response is given.

2. Is there a way to make E-Prime randomise trials across multiple blocks? What I mean is this: I have 198 trials for my experiment. I do not want to split the trials up into blocks, as that might create block effects for my study. What I am hoping to do is to get E-Prime to draw randomly from the full pool of 198 trials, but do so in blocks of maybe 66 trials each. This (to me, at least) would eliminate block effects, but I don't know how to do this. Would I have to add code to the Script, especially if I want to insert instructions between each block?

Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Justus