Eprime 2 SP2 not obtaining valid refresh rate from GeForce 730 card (win10) despite latest drivers

Jim Bjork

Jun 15, 2017, 4:24:55 PM6/15/17
to E-Prime

Hello,

We have replaced and demoted to backup our old Win7 laptop and have obtained a new Dell desktop system with i7 processor 8gig RAM and 2Gig Ram GeForce GT 730 video card.   The system came with Windows 10.  Our understanding is that the E-Prime 2 with SP2 is compatible.

However, when I copied over and re-compiled our .es2 files for the tasks on the new system and launched them, I got error messages from each task that Eprime was unable to get valid refresh rate info from the display adapter, and suggested I get the latest drivers.  However, I still got this message even after downloading and installing the latest NVIDIA drivers!  I also went into the NVIDIA vid card configuration GUI, and tried setting the refresh to 60 hz, as well as setting display to 60 hz in Windows.

In order to get these tasks to run, I had to disable the warning message.  As a result of running without the refresh infor, the timing drifts off by a good 2 s in a 6-minute task.

How can I resolve this-  to enable E-prime to get the timing-refresh information?

David McFarlane

Jun 15, 2017, 5:09:18 PM6/15/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Coincidentally, we just ran into this same problem today on a new
Windows 10 machine. The error message also said that the refresh rate
was reported as 0, which does not sound good. We have not yet tried
installing a video driver from the video manufacturer, but your
experience does not bode well. Like you, we just set "Throw error if
invalid refresh rate" to No, but the experiments developed on that
machine are not time sensitive.

Best to submit this to PST Support and report back with what they say.

---------------
David McFarlane
E-Prime training online:
http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

Michiel S-Spape

Jun 20, 2017, 11:23:03 AM6/20/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Note the official statement from PST, which I copy here so everybody is aware:

E-Prime Support Notification

Internal testing has determined the recent Windows 10 Creators update (version 1703, build 10.0.15063.0 or later) has interrupted E-Prime’s ability to detect the refresh rate. This results in a runtime error stating, “Unable to obtain a valid refresh rate”.

If possible, please avoid updating your lab machines to the Windows 10 Creators update (version 1703, build 10.0.15063.0 or later) until we have a solution available.

In the meantime, if you have already updated and are only designing or testing your experiment, you can turn off this error in the DisplayDevice Properties dialog via the Experiment Object. If you are using E-Prime 3.0, you can alternatively use Windowed Mode via the E-Run Test dialog. We strongly discourage data collection in these states as E-Prime will assume a refresh rate of 60 Hz regardless of the actual refresh rate of your monitor resulting in timing issues.

We will post regular updates on our support site until a workaround or patch is available.

If you have already updated and are experiencing this issue, consult with your IT staff for assistance/authorization to roll back to Windows 10 Anniversary (version 1607) or prior. To do this, go to Start > Settings and click on 'Update & security'. Click the Recovery link and then click on 'Get started' under 'Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.'

Sincerely,
PST Product Service and Support”

Best,

Michiel (who’s not PST)

//Dr Michiel S-Spape

//Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Psychology

//Department of Psychology

//Liverpool Hope University

cery...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 12:02:18 PM6/30/17
to E-Prime
Got the same error in one of our computers running Windows 10 and the only solution was to use the Rollback feature to go back to the previous version before the Windows Creators update.
Problem is that your computer will always try to update Windows automatically.
So what you need to do is to stop the automatic updates:

Step 1: Type Services in Start menu or taskbar search box and then press Enter key. Alternatively, you can type Services.msc in Run command box and then press Enter key to open Services.

Step 2: Here, look for the service named Windows Updates. Right-click on it and click Properties to open Windows Update Properties dialog.

Step 3: Here, change the Startup type to Disabled. Click Apply button and then reboot your computer.

This way you have no more automatic updates and you can run E-Prime safely until there is some solution from PST or a new update from Windows, which might be compatible.

Best,
Sofia

David McFarlane

Aug 4, 2017, 11:11:32 AM8/4/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Update from PST (URL slightly edited to evade mangling):

"A workaround is now available for users with the Windows 10 Creators
update (version 1703, build 10.0.15063.0 or later). We previously
announced this Windows update interrupted E-Prime’s ability to detect
the refresh rate resulting in a runtime error stating, “Unable to obtain
a valid refresh rate”.

"Please access the workaround here in our Knowledge Base.
(support.pstnet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011182147 )

"Microsoft has informed us that a behavior change was made in the
Creators Update that caused this interruption for E-Prime to detect the
refresh rate. Microsoft has logged this behavior change as a bug in
their system. Although we have a workaround, we fully expect Microsoft
to include a fix in an upcoming Windows Update."