What port to write EEG triggers to?

Nicholas Heugel

May 23, 2016, 11:20:44 AM5/23/16
to E-Prime
I have inherited code for running an EEG experiment that I had used prior with no issue on an older computer.  However, since then the computer has been updated and the software has been updated to v 2.0.  How do I determine the port I am suppossed to be writing to for the triggers to be dropped?   Is it always &H378?   or does it change?  and if it does change how do I determine what the port it would have changed to is?   Thanks for your assistance.

Nicholas

David McFarlane

Jun 16, 2016, 5:45:49 PM6/16/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Nicholas,

&h0378 is the most common port address for LPT1, but it could use any
port address, and many newer boards do. E.g., I know of two LPT
adapters that use port addresses &hD010 and &hD100.

Typically, you may find the LPT port address from the Windows Device
Manager, on the Resources tab for your LPT adapter. Note however that
this may not work in all cases, we had one LPT adapter that did not show
a Resources tab, and we had to resort to other tricks to find the port
address in that case (I don't remember the trick offhand).

If at all possible, however, I would revise the program to use the much
superior Task Events feature. Then you would not need to deal with port
addresses anymore.

David McFarlane
E-Prime training online:
http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx