Installing 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 at the same time

JACanterbury

Jan 15, 2014, 7:31:21 AM1/15/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Not a question, but some information in case it's of use to anyone.

Although the PST website (ticket 5345)says

Can E-Prime 2.0.8.x and E-Prime 2.0.10.x be installed at the same time?
No, only major version installations can be installed at the same time. However, multiple versions of the E-Prime 2.0 Subject Station installation can coexist on the same lab machine. KB5325 - FEATURE: Suite, Subject Station, and Run-Time detect other installations on machine (multiple Subject Station versions allowed)

I thought I'd try anyway as I need to support both versions as a programmer.

It turns out that you CAN have E-Studio 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 co-existing on the same machine at the same time.

This is what I did:

  1. install 2.0.8
  2. rename the install directory e.g. from c:\program files (x86)\pst to c:\program files (x86)\pst-2-0-8
  3. uninstall E-Prime (control panel / programs and features)
  4. install 2.0.10

Notes:

- the installed shortcuts from the Windows Start menu will be for the lastest version, you'll need to create additional shortcuts to the other version

- when you switch from using one version to the other, you'll be prompted to relicence but this on ly takes a second - This seems to be the only irritation.

- This seems fine for E-studio development work but I wouldn't run any actual live experiments on a system setup like this as I'm not quite sure what versions of drivers the 'other' version might be picking up

- if you want to install e-prime into a different folder, e.g. on your D: drive, select the 'custom' install as this then gives you the option to change the installation directory/folder

hth

John

David McFarlane

Jan 31, 2014, 11:39:44 AM1/31/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Worked like a charm, thanks! I wish had known this years ago, but
your tip came just in time for a new round of testing how various
E-Prime updates affect some particular bugs (see
https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster ). I did modify the procedure just a bit:

- Install older version of E-Prime (i.e., use existing installed version).
- Find the installed E-Prime program folder and copy it to another
folder -- e.g., copy "Program Files\PST\E-Prime 2.0" to "Program
Files\PST\E-Prime 2.0.8.22".
- Install the newer version of E-Prime right over the old version
(yes, sometimes necessary to first uninstall the older E-Prime, but I
like to live a little dangerously here).

That's it. So far I have EP 2.0.8.22, 2.0.8.73, and 2.0.8.74 all
running on one machine, working up to installing 2.0.8.79, 2.0.8.90,
2.0.10.242, and 2.0.10.353. And from now right after each update I
will just make a copy of the E-Prime program folder, all ready for
the next update whenever it comes.

-- David McFarlane

At 1/15/2014 07:31 AM Wednesday, JACanterbury wrote:
>Not a question, but some information in case it's of use to anyone.
>
>Although the PST
><http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5345>website (ticket 5345)says
>
>Can E-Prime 2.0.8.x and E-Prime 2.0.10.x be installed at the same time?
>No, only major version installations can be installed at the same
>time. However, multiple versions of the E-Prime 2.0 Subject Station
>installation can coexist on the same lab machine.
><http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5325>KB5325 - FEATURE:
>Suite, Subject Station, and Run-Time detect other installations on
>machine (multiple Subject Station versions allowed)
>
>I thought I'd try anyway as I need to support both versions as a programmer.
>
>It turns out that you CAN have E-Studio 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 co-existing
>on the same machine at the same time.
>
>This is what I did:
>
> * install 2.0.8
> * rename the install directory e.g. from c:\program files
> (x86)\pst to c:\program files (x86)\pst-2-0-8
> * uninstall E-Prime (control panel / programs and features)
> * install 2.0.10

JACanterbury

Feb 6, 2014, 6:30:08 AM2/6/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome. It's nice to be able to repay you, in a small way, for all of your help on this forum over the years.

John