drawing error?

Adam Osth

Nov 13, 2009, 4:00:12 PM11/13/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten an error which only comes up in a few cases - it says "Internal error: Drawing error 0x88760 1c2 Error #11011."

The error comes up during a slide that has a duration which references a variable in a list.

Again - it only happens in a minority of cases, and I'm not sure exactly what's going on because I have too many participants to watch what each one is doing.

Does anybody know what causes this kind of error?

Adam

liwenna

Nov 13, 2009, 5:00:57 PM11/13/09
to E-Prime
Hey Adam,

That sounds like a nasty situation... crashing during actual
testing :/

Call me naive but the fact that the error has a number makes one
suspect that someone is bound to have a list with possible errors and
their corresponding numbers.... this might be a nice one to take to
PST as they are the most likely people to possess such a list... ;)

Good luck on it,

liw

liwenna

Nov 13, 2009, 5:17:56 PM11/13/09
to E-Prime
google brought me to the PST forum and to this thread:
http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic555-12-1.aspx

The inital poster solved the problem by updating his divxcodec (he was
playing a movie in his task) but that does not apply to your
situation, I take it?

Brandon (PST) wrote in this thread:
If this happens as a result of not pressing anything and not movie
related then it is most commonly due to another app trying to take
control while E-Prime is running. Apps like anti-virus, iPod sync,
schedule, etc should be shut down. You can use MSCONFIG to shut
background items down. See if this helps out.

KB2621 - INFO: How to use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot machine
configuration and reduce background applications

-Brandon

Hope that helps :)

Adam Osth

Nov 13, 2009, 5:29:15 PM11/13/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I should have done a search before I posted. Doh!

During the task, subjects are supposed to tap out a rhythm on a space bar. I'm pretty confident that they were hitting the windows key by mistake.

Adam

liwenna

Nov 13, 2009, 5:47:45 PM11/13/09
to E-Prime
Well that's probably it then.

How to prevent this from happening, though? No thoughts there on my
side, except maby use a SR-box instead? Or covers over the windows
keys... hihi my imagination runs wildly now.

I do am pretty intrigued by your experiment. How do you verify whether
the correct rhythm is tapped?

On Nov 13, 11:29 pm, Adam Osth <adamo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should have done a search before I posted. Doh!
>
> During the task, subjects are supposed to tap out a rhythm on a space bar.
> I'm pretty confident that they were hitting the windows key by mistake.
>
> Adam

AJain

Nov 13, 2009, 6:00:21 PM11/13/09
to E-Prime
You COULD edit the registry in windows to disable it...but this is
kinda extreme

Or you could use AutoHotKey http://www.autohotkey.com/ to simply edit
its function...

Also, under E-Prime specifically, can't you limit the input from the
keyboard to one or a few keys under the "Allowable" section of the
properties?

Michiel Spape

Nov 16, 2009, 5:50:18 AM11/16/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
The windows key problem is known to happen. The best solution, in my opinion, is to use a screwdriver and just get that key out of there. Failing that, I'd suggest using a different key, further away from the windows key! The problem is that the Windows key forces an immediate pop-up to be drawn to the screen (i.e. the start menu) of extreme priority, which then interferes with E-Prime.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham
School of Psychology

David Vinson

Nov 16, 2009, 6:01:36 AM11/16/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
In the past we have used a little freeware utility called WinKeyKill -
this disables the window key without having to physically remove it from
the keyboard.

There's a similar utility called "Ihatethiskey" but we have not used
this one.

-david

Adam Osth wrote:
> ....During the task, subjects are supposed to tap out a rhythm on a
> space bar. I'm pretty confident that they were hitting the windows key
> by mistake.
>
> Adam
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM, liwenna <liw...@gmail.com
> <mailto:liw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> google brought me to the PST forum and to this thread:
> http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic555-12-1.aspx
>
> The inital poster solved the problem by updating his divxcodec (he was
> playing a movie in his task) but that does not apply to your
> situation, I take it?
>
> Brandon (PST) wrote in this thread:
> If this happens as a result of not pressing anything and not movie
> related then it is most commonly due to another app trying to take
> control while E-Prime is running. Apps like anti-virus, iPod sync,
> schedule, etc should be shut down. You can use MSCONFIG to shut
> background items down. See if this helps out.
>
> KB2621 - INFO: How to use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot machine
> configuration and reduce background applications
>
> -Brandon
>

> Hope that helps :)
>
> On Nov 13, 11:00 pm, liwenna <liwe...@gmail.com
> <mailto:liwe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hey Adam,
> >
> > That sounds like a nasty situation... crashing during actual
> > testing :/
> >
> > Call me naive but the fact that the error has a number makes one
> > suspect that someone is bound to have a list with possible
> errors and
> > their corresponding numbers.... this might be a nice one to take to
> > PST as they are the most likely people to possess such a list... ;)
> >
> > Good luck on it,
> >
> > liw
> >
> > On Nov 13, 10:00 pm, Adam Osth <adamo...@gmail.com
> <mailto:adamo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > > I've gotten an error which only comes up in a few cases - it
> says "Internal
> > > error: Drawing error 0x88760 1c2 Error #11011."
> >
> > > The error comes up during a slide that has a duration which
> references a
> > > variable in a list.
> >
> > > Again - it only happens in a minority of cases, and I'm not
> sure exactly
> > > what's going on because I have too many participants to watch
> what each one
> > > is doing.
> >
> > > Does anybody know what causes this kind of error?
> >
> > > Adam
>
> --

> --

David Vinson, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL)
University College London
49 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PD
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 8688
d.vi...@ucl.ac.uk

David McFarlane

Nov 16, 2009, 2:36:47 PM11/16/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

Just for the record, the PST Knowledge Base at
http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/kb.asp contains an article with
common EP error numbers, including this one. And that article links
to another KB article about WinKey Killer, although "I Hate This Key"
mentioned by David Vinson also looks pretty good. Of course I most
like Michiel's advice to just yank out the offending key, and if that
is not good enough then back that up with a bit of epoxy (nobody
needs the Windows key anyway!), or if you're really serious then
dismantle the keyboard and snip out the bit of membrane that closes
the switch for that key.

BTW, don't know how precise your rhythm tapping measure needs to be,
but you do know that keyboards often have variable latencies of 0-15
msec. If you need more precise timing for individual taps then you
need to use something like the SRBox or the parallel port.

Regards,

At 11/13/2009 05:29 PM Friday, you wrote:
>I should have done a search before I posted. Doh!
>
>During the task, subjects are supposed to tap out a rhythm on a
>space bar. I'm pretty confident that they were hitting the windows
>key by mistake.
>
>Adam
>
>On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM, liwenna
><<mailto:liw...@gmail.com>liw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>google brought me to the PST forum and to this thread:
><http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic555-12-1.aspx>http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic555-12-1.aspx
>
>The inital poster solved the problem by updating his divxcodec (he was
>playing a movie in his task) but that does not apply to your
>situation, I take it?
>
>Brandon (PST) wrote in this thread:
>If this happens as a result of not pressing anything and not movie
>related then it is most commonly due to another app trying to take
>control while E-Prime is running. Apps like anti-virus, iPod sync,
>schedule, etc should be shut down. You can use MSCONFIG to shut
>background items down. See if this helps out.
>
>KB2621 - INFO: How to use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot machine
>configuration and reduce background applications
>
>-Brandon
>

>Hope that helps :)
>
>On Nov 13, 11:00 pm, liwenna
><<mailto:liwe...@gmail.com>liwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Adam,
> >
> > That sounds like a nasty situation... crashing during actual
> > testing :/
> >
> > Call me naive but the fact that the error has a number makes one
> > suspect that someone is bound to have a list with possible errors and
> > their corresponding numbers.... this might be a nice one to take to
> > PST as they are the most likely people to possess such a list... ;)
> >
> > Good luck on it,
> >
> > liw
> >
> > On Nov 13, 10:00 pm, Adam Osth

Adam Osth

Nov 16, 2009, 4:23:01 PM11/16/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually searched the forums and found that there are programs that allow you to reassign keys. I can't really pry the windows key out, since these are on laptops that are owned by the lab, so I just changed the function of the Windows key for now.

Somebody asked how I programmed the rhythm task, and to be honest, I did it in a way that was probably pretty inefficient.

To play the rhythm, I had a sequence of 8 slides which alternate between playing a sound and being silent. The silent periods are essentially rests.

To input the rhythm, I started with a "Wait" stimulus that waits for you to tap. There are 7 subsequent slides that alternate between rests and beats, both of which just take in input and don't play any sounds.

An Infile command checks to make sure the subject tapped the keyboard during the beat slides and not during the rest slides. Any errors return negative feedback.

The duration of the rests is variable and references a slide (something like [RestDuration]). By varying this, it gives different rhythms that the subject has to tap.

It's not totally accurate, but it doesn't have to be, since it's just a distractor task that's designed to keep people occupied.

If anybody knows of a more efficient way to do this, I'd love to hear it!

Adam

David McFarlane

Nov 16, 2009, 4:34:20 PM11/16/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

>I can't really pry the windows key out, since these are on laptops
>that are owned by the lab, so I just changed the function of the
>Windows key for now.

Ah, of course. As long as the software fix works then you are all
set. Alternively, I think most laptops can accept an external
keyboard, so you could also have a dedicated mangled keyboard that
you would just plug into the laptop for your experiments. And the
external keyboard might even provide other advantages.

dkmcf

Nov 19, 2009, 10:23:16 AM11/19/09
to E-Prime
On Nov 16, 2:36 pm, David McFarlane <mcfar...@msu.edu> wrote:
> Just for the record, the PST Knowledge Base at
> http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/kb.asp contains an article with
> common EP error numbers, including this one.

In addition, Appendix A of the Reference Guide that came with E-Prime
also contains a rather extensive list of error codes. The two lists
do not simply duplicate each other, and the list at the KB is probably
more up to date, so you might check both. (Also, the Reference Guide
error list skips over 11011, so that would not have helped in this
case).