Error while running samples given in E-prime 3.0

Pramod Gaur

Sep 18, 2017, 6:12:33 AM9/18/17
to E-Prime
Hi Team,

I just started using e-prime 3.0 and while running the sample experiment, I am getting the error message shown in the screenshot.

See the error message below as well.

Runtime Error (Line 1234)
10051: An error occurred while attempting to open the device

Device Name: Sound
Error: 0x00001f46
Message: 'Unable to play: 0x80070057'

I shall be thankful if some pointers can be provided so error can be resolved.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Pramod

Error_msg.png

David McFarlane

Sep 25, 2017, 2:46:07 PM9/25/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Pramod,

The error says,

"An error occurred while attempting to open the device
"Device Name: Sound"

That means that E-Prime has trouble opening the Sound device.

Does your machine have a Sound device? Do you have speakers or
headphones plugged in?

Does your experiment use sound? If not, what happens if you go into the
properties of the Experiment object, and then either disable or remove
the Sound device?

You could also submit this to PST Support.

-- David McFarlane

Michiel S-Spape

Sep 26, 2017, 7:18:17 AM9/26/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've run into this trouble in class. Some computers only enable the audio device if a headphone is plugged in - obvious reason being that you don't want an entire class running YouTube over the speakers. However, it's not very nicely handled in Windows: click on the system tray icon if there's no audio, and it will try to "look for an audio device", which fails. I had to ask the entire class to do the following instructions on day 1 of them using E-Prime.
Go To Edit > Experiment > Devices, Unselect the Sound (enabled by default since E-Prime 2 even if there is no sound card), Apply, OK.
FWIW, just plugging in some headphones also works for us - windows will immediately enable the device. I do not quite understand why the unplugging of a cord needs to disable the device (after all, no cable means no sound anyway?), but so it goes.

Best,
Michiel

David McFarlane

Sep 26, 2017, 9:46:39 AM9/26/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michiel. One lab around here worked around this by getting an
old broken set of earphones, cutting the cord, then shorting the wires
together and just plugging that into the headphone jack. I would have
gone out and bought some bare plugs and wired together some shorted
plugs to do this, but their approach took less work than my approach.

-- David McFarlane