Response options: Allowable all numbers less than 100

Tamar Bacon

Nov 22, 2015, 9:41:09 PM11/22/15
to E-Prime
I would like to set the allowable response to be any number from 50 to 100. How can I do this?

MarcL

Nov 23, 2015, 7:03:35 AM11/23/15
to E-Prime
First of all, you will probably need a keyboard with Keys from 1 to 100.

If you have this, you can proceed as usual!

Tamar Bacon

Nov 23, 2015, 10:21:43 AM11/23/15
to E-Prime
Sorry - I do not understand. How can set the allowable response to be 50 but not 49?

MarcL

Nov 23, 2015, 12:08:32 PM11/23/15
to E-Prime
Then, maybe, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

In the allowable field of an object you can define which key or action on any input device (which can be keyboards, mouse, joysticks, specialized response box keyboards, and so on..... ) as a response that is monitored by eprime (to see whether or not a participant responds that way).

So, if what you is trying to accomplish, and what I understood by your initial question, to have 50 keys from 50 - 100 and the participant can choose one or more of those keys, you need either a specialized keyboard with this set of keys, or you could take a regular keyboard, buy stickers, write numbers 50-100 on the stickers, stick them to the keys, and then put in allowable the respective key each sticker is on. After testing, you have to recode the actual response key you collected to the number that was on the sticker.

Tamar Bacon

Nov 23, 2015, 12:11:00 PM11/23/15
to E-Prime
I was not clear. I meant I would like to have a question on a scale of 50 to 100 how much do you like x? and the subject must answer with a number between 50 and 100, so that response of 49 or 101 is not accepted.

MarcL

Nov 24, 2015, 6:58:04 AM11/24/15
to E-Prime
Okay, could you please go ahead and explain your paradigm and the material you're using? Why, for example, when no participant is allowed to answer with 49 or 101, is there a scale that includes those numbers (to my understanding..)

Sorry, if one needs to guess what you are really trying to do, it's very hard helping you.

Tamar Bacon

Nov 24, 2015, 2:08:28 PM11/24/15
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your patience! It is my first time posting here and I
see I failed to include some important information in my original
question.

I have a scale that goes from 50 to 100 and I want to make sure all
people to record the tempature in the room where they are taking the
test, it can only be between 18 and 25 degrees. The question is can I
set "allowable" to do the validation or do i have to accept the
response and do the validation in an inline script.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/f54cbcf5-38f4-4420-ad28-af08f22e260b%40googlegroups.com.

Marc Latz

Nov 24, 2015, 3:55:36 PM11/24/15
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
When you say, you have a scale, what do you mean? You have some E-Prime procedure that resembles a slider or something? Or do you mean, you are using it?

Tamar Bacon

Nov 24, 2015, 4:53:45 PM11/24/15
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
we just want to ask people to rank something from 50-100

MarcL

Nov 25, 2015, 2:50:24 AM11/25/15
to E-Prime
Sorry, this doesn't really help a lot.
I'd be happy to give you a suggestion what to do, but I need at least the following information:

1. Exactly, what kind of measure are you using. I can think of at least 5 entirely different paradigms where you could "rank something" from 50-100. Please provide me with a sample question, and what you would like this ranking to look like.
2. What input devices are you using?
3. Why Eprime? To rank something, there are way easier options. E-Primes original purpose is to collect reaction time data, and while it's very powerful with other stuff, when you can program, ranking something or asking for a survey is done easier with other applications.

If it's super secret and you feel uneasy posting it here feel free to write me privately.

Tamar Bacon

Nov 25, 2015, 12:08:51 PM11/25/15
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! It is not super secret :)  We have a word recognition task and want subjects to enter their responses and afterwards rank their certainty that their answer is correct with 50 being "complete guess, a 50/50 chance that my answer was correct" and 100 being "complete certainty, I am sure my answer was correct"

MarcL

Nov 27, 2015, 8:50:42 AM11/27/15
to E-Prime
There are several options.
You could use a slider-kind of rating ("Allowable" will be defined by instructions and achieved by transformation of outcome "0-100" scale to a "50-100" scale), you could programm Buttons with each number on them (Allowable will be defined by instructions and available Buttons), you could use E-Primes Echo-Client to enable the participant to insert the number as a text-string (Allowable will be defined by instructions, if entered correctly can be checked but is really hard to do), and you could use Visual Basic Prompts (e.g. this picture) (Allowable will be defined by instructions, if entered correctly can be checked very easilly and rerecorded if not)

Without E-Prime experience, I would reccomend the last option. While it does not look super awesome, it can be achieved with very little effort of programming. The hardest, I figure, would be the button solution.