help a beginner :)

cogneuroisfun

Jun 24, 2010, 11:20:49 AM6/24/10
to E-Prime
I'm glad I found this group! I'm new to using e-prime but I know the
some of basics. However, I'm getting an error message which doesn't
make any sense to me.

It says "The following runtime error occurred

Unable to load image file

Filename picture.bmp

Current folder C: ect

Open 1

Found 1

last error 0

return code

Filename2 c:/ documents/ ect. picture.bmp

Current folder C: ect

Open 1

Found 1

last error 0

return code

error number 11043"

So what I don't get is why I'm having this problem. I have 100
pictures in the same folder as my program. The first 5 work but the
rest do not even though they are all in the same folder and are
spelled correctly when I entered them into my list!

I have no idea why it can't find them. The filename1 is the actually
file name but then the filename2 is where the file is? Could that be
what its looking for?

This is probably something silly but I don't know how to fix it!

Please help, thank you :)

Candy Patterson

Jun 28, 2010, 7:56:13 AM6/28/10
to E-Prime
I'm also a new user so not sure if this answer is correct but
hopefully will make some sense:

My understanding is all the images need to be in the same folder as
the E-Prime script and cannot be in any sub-folders. For the Object
display in a trial (filename1) you just need to list the file name as
found in the folder (e.g. object1.bmp) and therefore there is no need
to have a second attribute with the file path (filename2).

Also, need to ensure in the 'Procedure' line-up that the attribute
[filename1] is associated to an "ImageDisplay". The ImageDisplay
should display the words: Your image '[filename1]' will appear here.

Hope this helps

Candy

Michiel Spape

Jun 29, 2010, 6:28:46 AM6/29/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Candy & OP,
This is not exactly the case; files should be accessible anywhere on the system, the only problem is that it is A) difficult to move experiments around like that (since the structure on the other computer would need to be exactly the same) and B) for some people difficult in terms of syntax. The second one seems to be the problem here, with several basic things going wrong:
- Windows tends to use back-slash syntax for files that are on the current PC i.e. C:\windows\system32, rather than c:/windows/system32.
- \ is also an escape character and writing addresses very often goes wrong because of it. In inline, for example, you'd have to use c:\\windows\\system32 to produce c:\windows\system32
Because of all this often goes wrong, it's usually better to do it like Candy suggested: just dump everything in the same folder as the experiment and never mind about writing down paths. The only good reason for doing it otherwise is that one might want to have some organisation: sad faces 1-100 go in folder 'sad', happy faces 1-100 go in folder happy. Have these folders, then, as subfolders of the place where your experiment is located and use relative paths: sad\\face1.bmp, happy\\face8.bmp. This is also convenient if you then have two attributes, say: TypeOfFace and FaceNumber, because then you can just assign the current face as
CurrentFace.filename = c.GetAttrib("TypeOfFace") & "\\" & c.GetAttrib("FaceNumber")
Or something like that.

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham
School of Psychology

Hope this helps

Candy

cogneuroisfun

Jun 30, 2010, 2:33:43 PM6/30/10
to E-Prime
Thank you both very much for the help!

It was actually I couldn't use 20 Bit bitmap files in my version of E-
Prime. I had to change them all to 256 color!! It took me a long time
to figure that out lol

Thanks anyway :)

On Jun 29, 6:28 am, Michiel Spape <Michiel.Sp...@nottingham.ac.uk>

Michiel Spape

Jul 1, 2010, 9:40:13 AM7/1/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
How odd! I think E-Prime does supports 24 bit Bitmap files, though, if you wish to preserve your colours. In any case, it supports the bitmaps the indomitable MS Paint supports!
Cheers,

David McFarlane

Jul 29, 2010, 5:07:12 PM7/29/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
At 6/29/2010 06:28 AM Tuesday, Michiel Spape wrote:
>Hi Candy & OP,
>This is not exactly the case; files should be
>accessible anywhere on the system, the only
>problem is that it is A) difficult to move
>experiments around like that (since the
>structure on the other computer would need to be exactly the same)

I beg to differ here. As long as you use
relative paths instead of absolute paths, you
should be able to copy & move experiments with no
trouble. We do that regularly.

> and B) for some people difficult in terms of
> syntax. The second one seems to be the problem
> here, with several basic things going wrong:
>- Windows tends to use back-slash syntax for
>files that are on the current PC i.e.
>C:\windows\system32, rather than c:/windows/system32.
>- \ is also an escape character and writing
>addresses very often goes wrong because of it.
>In inline, for example, you'd have to use
>c:\\windows\\system32 to produce c:\windows\system32

Please see
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2336-12-1.aspx ,
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1689-12-1.aspx ,
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1718-5-1.aspx
and
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/d2760287fabeb88a
, where this has been discussed at more length.

In short, in E-Prime it is best to simply use
single *forward* slashes ("/") for all path
separators, e.g., c:/windows/system32. Yes,
E-Prime defaults to inserting backslashes for
you, which confuses things, you just have to
ignore that and use forward slashes yourself.

Michiel Spape

Jul 30, 2010, 10:53:58 AM7/30/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi David & al.,

Concerning forward slashes: wow, you learn something new every day :)
Relative paths: of course, especially if you use many sounds/images/videos for different conditions and so on, it is very convenient to access files in a [condition]/[filename] sort of way. The warning against absolute paths remains!

Cheers,