Convenient way to perform Item Analysis?

msai...@ucr.edu

Jun 10, 2016, 9:33:42 PM6/10/16
to E-Prime, cu...@ucr.edu
I am currently running a semantic priming experiment that uses 300 word pairs as stimuli. Data-Aid will generate subject means but I also need an item analysis. Assuming the simplest priming experiment where one would have related trials (ie, cat-dog) and unrelated trials (ie, table-dog), what I need are means for all the cat-dog trials across all subjects (and the other conditions as well). I was wondering how E-Prime users have conducted Item Analyses. Is there a way through Data-Aid or Excel to compare different word pairs with matching words/targets?

Ines Anton-Mendez

Jun 10, 2016, 11:44:20 PM6/10/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Have you merged all the individual data files into one file that has all the subjects? Once you do that (with Emerge), you’ll be able to export to Excel and get subject and item means using pivot tables.

    Inés

David McFarlane

Jun 16, 2016, 6:23:50 PM6/16/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
To add to that, before your run your subjects, you should add an
attribute (column) to the appropriate List in your E-Prime program to
indicate whether a trial uses a related or a non-related pair. Then you
may use that attribute for grouping data during analysis with E-DataAid
or whatever.

Even if you forget to add that column ahead of time, there are ways to
add it in E-DataAid after the fact. (I have a lesson that covers that
in my online course.)

David McFarlane
E-Prime training online:
http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx