Video stimulus - limited response interval

Dragan Glavaš

Nov 8, 2016, 12:29:29 PM11/8/16
to E-Prime

Hello,

I know some related topics have been discussed earlier but I still can't solve some issues regarding limited response time in my experiment. I want to collect responses (log RT and ACC) from some time point in the video (e.g. last 2000 ms of the video). In other words I do not want to record responses from the beginning of the video. For example, video presentation is 6 sec and I don’t want to record responses in first 4000 ms.

I am pretty new in this and I might have missed something from guides (Getting start and User's Guide).

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

Many thanks,

Drago

David McFarlane

Nov 8, 2016, 1:45:13 PM11/8/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Drago,

Try this -- Set the Duration of your movie object to when you want to
start collecting the response, e.g., to start collecting 2000 ms before
the end of a movie that lasts 5200 ms, set Duration to 3200 (remember,
you can use attribute references for Duration if that has to change for
each movie file). Then, after the movie object, add a Wait object that
collects the response, and give that Wait the appropriate Duration
(e.g., 2000).

That will give you RT from the start of the Wait object. To get RT from
the start of the movie, do something like

RT = RespWait.RTTime - StimMovie.OnsetTime

You may do that from values in the .edat2 file after the session (make
sure that you log all the appropriate data!), or using InLine code to
log the values right into the .edat2 file during the session. If the
latter, pay attention to PreRelease so that the InLine code does not run
until after you get the response!

---------------
David McFarlane
E-Prime training online:
http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

Dragan Glavaš

Nov 10, 2016, 3:44:58 PM11/10/16
to E-Prime

Thank you a lot, David. I managed it following your guidelines of setting Duration to the point when I want to start collecting response and adding Wait object. Yes, it is different Duration for each movie and attribute references work perfectly. Thanks again David. As a real rookie I am facing few more issues regarding setting my experiments and I will let myself ask for your kind again, if I don’t previously manage it by myself.

Many thanks,

Drago

Dragan Glavaš

Dec 30, 2016, 11:22:18 AM12/30/16
to E-Prime

Hello David, hi to all,

I would like to ask you for a little more help related to my previous question. I would like to collect answer (one answer) during a Wait object (Duration of e.g. 1000 ms) and during a blank screen following Wait object (till response). In other words – I want to collect answer during the frozen video (Wait object) and blank screen following it.

I tried it putting a simple Text object (white screen) but that collects two answers – during 1000 ms of Wait object and during the Text object. It is OK if participant does not answer during the wait object previously set at 1000 ms, but if he does, he had to press another answer (which is in that case irrelevant for me). On the other hand, if I do not allow the answer during the 1000 ms that could reduce the wanted effect variance.

I know this seems as simple problem but despite my reading and trying I could not manage it, and that is why I am bothering you with this question.

I tried to find is there any option that ‘’turn’’ the wait display into blank or maybe can I ‘’ask’’ the program to skip Text object if participant answers during the Wait object.

Thank you for your time and sorry for taking it.

And happy New Year :))

Drago

David McFarlane

Jan 5, 2017, 6:10:19 PM1/5/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Drago,

Please look at the "Extended input" example (NestingXRT) in Appendix C
of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime, and see if that addresses
your issue. You may ignore the nesting and colon syntax there for now,
just pay attention to the use of Time Limit.

---------------
David McFarlane
E-Prime training online:
http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

Dragan Glavaš

Jan 12, 2017, 5:44:19 PM1/12/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks David, I managed it! Helpful as always.

Dragan Glavaš

Jun 5, 2017, 1:53:18 PM6/5/17
to E-Prime
Hi David,

I have a short question about some technical aspects of my experiments. I did my research on the field and everything went very well. Greatly, credit for that goes to you. Now I am conducting the same experiments in our laboratory and on two computers I have the same message I can not figure out why. Closely, trials of my experiments are video sequences and after a certain number of videos, usually 9th or 10th of 25 videos, experiments interrupt and I got the message. I am sending you photos of that message.

I am really sorry I am taking your time but in the middle of my PhD research, you were of immense help so I decided to send this message too.
Thank you, appreciate it very much.

Drago
IMG_20170605_175734.jpg
IMG_20170605_185035.jpg

David McFarlane

Jun 5, 2017, 2:03:42 PM6/5/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Drago,

I am afraid that this error goes beyond my ability. We have had our own
troubles with movies in E-Prime (which always turned out to have
something to do with codecs), but those errors always happened at
run-time, we never got a crash of E-Studio. You should submit this one
to PST Support.

-- David McFarlane
>>> e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com.

Dragan Glavaš

Jun 6, 2017, 5:13:47 PM6/6/17
to E-Prime
Thank you for your prompt reply. I understand. It is quite weird. I tried some things today but it did not work. Yup, I will submit this to PST Support
Many thanks, David.
drago