E-prime on multiple screens

jens

Nov 20, 2009, 7:31:32 AM11/20/09
to E-Prime
Hello

Is it possible to run E-prime on multiple screens?

If so, how do I do that?

/Jens

Michiel Spape

Nov 20, 2009, 8:44:17 AM11/20/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
A: You use a VGA splitter, if you merely intend to clone it.
B: I think in E-Prime 2, there's an option to indicate which screen you want to place the experiment (lacking EP2 here, I can't check).
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham
School of Psychology

zia haq

Nov 20, 2009, 9:24:13 AM11/20/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our lab has recently acquired E-Prime 2 and it does have the option to indicate which screen u want to place the experiment.

Cheers

--
Dr Mohammad Zia Ul Haq
Senior Resident

jens

Nov 25, 2009, 6:20:43 PM11/25/09
to E-Prime
Thank you for your resonses, but what I really ment was; is there
anyway to [i]span[/i] ep2 over multiple screens?

/Jens
> > e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com<e-prime%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime?hl=.
>
> > This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment
> > may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer
> > system:
> > you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the
> > University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.
>
> > This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment
> > may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system:
> > you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the
> > University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.
>
> > --

> --
> Dr Mohammad Zia Ul Haq
> Senior Resident
> Centre for Cognitive Neurosciences
> Central Institute of Psychiatry
> Ranchi, India - 834006
> Mb: +919234687231
> Fax: +916512233668
> Alternate email: drziaul...@rediffmail.com

David McFarlane

Nov 30, 2009, 4:08:23 PM11/30/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Jens,

I would be very, very surprised if E-Prime could
do that, mostly because it would never occur to
me to have a use for such a spanning capability,
whereas I can imagine the usefulness of having separate control of two screens.

But if you really want to pursue this, please
contact PST Web Support at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, they strive to respond to all requests in 24-48
hours. And then please report back here with their answer.

jens

Dec 2, 2009, 8:22:52 AM12/2/09
to E-Prime
Why I am interested in being able to do this is because I want for
example place distractor stimuli at a wider visual angel then possible
with one screen.
Or to have to have a wider search area.

I have submitted a question to pst web support and I will get back to
post the response.

/Jens

On 30 Nov, 22:08, David McFarlane <mcfar...@msu.edu> wrote:
> Jens,
>
> I would be very, very surprised if E-Prime could
> do that, mostly because it would never occur to
> me to have a use for such a spanning capability,
> whereas I can imagine the usefulness of having separate control of two screens.
>
> But if you really want to pursue this, please
> contact PST Web Support athttp://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
>
> - Visa citerad text -

David McFarlane

Dec 3, 2009, 9:15:43 AM12/3/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. For that purpose, couldn't you just use a larger screen, or place
the screen closer to the subject? Or with EP2 Pro, programatically
place your target stimulus on one screen and distractor stimulus on the
other? I still must be missing something.

jens

Dec 4, 2009, 7:14:47 AM12/4/09
to E-Prime
David McFarlane:

"Or with EP2 Pro, programatically
place your target stimulus on one screen and distractor stimulus on
the
other?"

That is exactly one of the things I want to be able to do. How do I do
that? Or do you know where I can find information on how to do that?

/Jens

David McFarlane

Dec 4, 2009, 10:34:12 AM12/4/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Jens,

>David McFarlane:
>
>"Or with EP2 Pro, programatically
>place your target stimulus on one screen and distractor stimulus on
>the
>other?"
>
>That is exactly one of the things I want to be able to do. How do I do
>that? Or do you know where I can find information on how to do that?

Well, let's have a little lesson in how to search for solutions,
shall we? First, let's check the PST Knowledge Base at
http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/kb.asp . Aha, here it is,
"1877 - FEATURE: Ability for E-Prime to recognize and use multiple
monitor displays". Oh, but it just says "This document is currently
under construction". So much for that, but at least we have a couple
key words to use in further searches, "multiple monitor". So let's
plug that term into the Search feature of the PST Forum. Hmm, one of
the hits is titled "Dual monitor?", that looks promising, click on
that and go to http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1100-12-1.aspx
. OK, that includes a few useful responses, including this one from
good old Brandon Cernicky (lead programmer of E-Prime from its
inception, as told in the User's Guide) on 7/16/2008: "In E-Prime
2.0 Professional, a DisplayName property is available to determine
which display each object draws itself on. If you have E-Prime 2.0
(Pro) installed, check out the MultipleDisplayRT experiment for more
info." Aha, a sample experiment no less, although note that this
works *only* for EP2 *Pro*. Well, I have EP2 Pro, so let's look in
my own Samples directory. Well, there it is, the MultipleDisplayRT
sample. OK, launch that and look around. Hmm, looks like it comes
down to adding another Display device in the Experiment object,
assigning a name to each Display object in its Property page, and
then indicating that display name (perhaps via an attribute
reference) in the Display Name property of the General tab for each
visual display object (e.g., TextDisplay or Slide). Really quite
simple once you see it.

And if you need even more, you can always submit a request to PST Web
Support at http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
. They strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours and they
solicit our questions, so don't be shy there.

<editorial>One does wonder why others do not practice these same
simple search skills for themselves.</editorial>

jens

Dec 7, 2009, 9:58:05 AM12/7/09
to E-Prime
Nice..^^

Additional information from PST web support:

- E-Prime 2.0 Professional includes the ability to present objects on
multiple monitors during the same experiment. However, keep in mind
that this essentially means you can present one object (e.g., a
TextDisplay, Slide, etc) on one monitor and another object on a
different monitor. You cannot present a single object across two
monitors at the same time (i.e., you can have the same object mirrored
on two displays - the same image could appear twice - once on each
monitor - but the image could not be enlarged so that half of it is on
one monitor while half is on the other).

Thank you
Jens

On 4 Dec, 16:34, David McFarlane <mcfar...@msu.edu> wrote:
> Jens,

> >David McFarlane:
>
> >"Or with EP2 Pro, programatically
> >place your target stimulus on one screen and distractor stimulus on
> >the
> >other?"
>
> >That is exactly one of the things I want to be able to do. How do I do
> >that? Or do you know where I can find information on how to do that?
>
> Well, let's have a little lesson in how to search for solutions,
> shall we?  First, let's check the PST Knowledge Base athttp://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/kb.asp.  Aha, here it is,
> "1877 - FEATURE: Ability for E-Prime to recognize and use multiple
> monitor displays".  Oh, but it just says "This document is currently
> under construction".  So much for that, but at least we have a couple
> key words to use in further searches, "multiple monitor".  So let's
> plug that term into the Search feature of the PST Forum.  Hmm, one of
> the hits is titled "Dual monitor?", that looks promising, click on
> that and go tohttp://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1100-12-1.aspx
> .  OK, that includes a few useful responses, including this one from
> good old Brandon Cernicky (lead programmer of E-Prime from its
> inception, as told in the User's Guide) on 7/16/2008:  "In E-Prime
> 2.0 Professional, a DisplayName property is available to determine
> which display each object draws itself on.  If you have E-Prime 2.0
> (Pro) installed, check out the MultipleDisplayRT experiment for more
> info."  Aha, a sample experiment no less, although note that this
> works *only* for EP2 *Pro*.  Well, I have EP2 Pro, so let's look in
> my own Samples directory.  Well, there it is, the MultipleDisplayRT
> sample.  OK, launch that and look around.  Hmm, looks like it comes
> down to adding another Display device in the Experiment object,
> assigning a name to each Display object in its Property page, and
> then indicating that display name (perhaps via an attribute
> reference) in the Display Name property of the General tab for each
> visual display object (e.g., TextDisplay or Slide).  Really quite
> simple once you see it.
>
> And if you need even more, you can always submit a request to PST Web
> Support athttp://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp

David McFarlane

Dec 7, 2009, 2:38:19 PM12/7/09
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Jens,

Thanks for following up with the info from PST Web Support. Just to
clarify one aspect of that, I imagine that if you want two visual
objects to appear simultaneously on two monitors, then you would have
to use the same technique as for overlaying or superimposing objects
on one monitor: Present the first object on one monitor with
Duration = 0 (and Onset Sync = "vertical blank" if appropriate), and
present the final object (e.g., on the second monitor) with Onset
Sync = (none) and Duration as appropriate. (Note that you could even
add more objects between the first and the final ones by setting
their Durations to 0 and Onset Sync to (none).)

Kumiko

Aug 17, 2015, 9:51:05 AM8/17/15
to E-Prime
Thank you very much for sharing this information - great to know that we can present two different images on two monitors with E-Prime 2 Professional.

Do you by any chance know if the following is possible with E-Prime? (I haven't seen any relevant post in the EPrime knowledge Base).

In our experiment, two participants see a picture with 4 objects on their own monitor. Participants A describes one of the objects to Participant B, as the picture on Participant A's monitor  indicates which object needs to be described (Participant B's picture has no such mark).  Participant B then selects the target picture using a mouse.  Participant A should be able to see their partner's selection (Participant B's mouse key appearing on the picture), and then presses their own mouse or keyboard to move (to the next trial). We record Participant A's speech for later analyses.

Many thanks in advance.

Kumiko