Help selecting the correct Attribute

João Ferreira

Nov 10, 2015, 11:21:53 AM11/10/15
to E-Prime
Hello fellow e-Primers!

I am writting a Phoneme Monitoring task where participants have to decide whether or not a specific sound is present in a word. I will have a few blocks (12 total) with each block having a different target phoneme. However, the list of words that will appear on each block will be exactly the same.

I am trying to make my program really nice and tidy. As such i would like to have only one list containing all the words (each word just once). I am making my program in a way that there is the same procedure for all different possible blocks.

My problem is with the Correct Responses. Usually I can just create an attribute for each word that says which is the correct response (and have e-Prime use that Attribute to compute right answers). In this experiment however, the correct response will be dependent on the target phoneme.

My solution towards this is to have a different Attribute for each possible phoneme/word pairing, that is to say, I will have 6 different Correct Responses columns (attributes). My question is, how can I tell e-Prime to go look for the correct answer, aka, the correct Attribute, depending on which is the target phoneme?

I am guessing this is probably really easy to implement with code, having just some very simple lines. The thing is, I have never coded in eprime before...

I think it should look something like (this is just a simplified idea)

if target.phon = A then
   correctAns= correctAns_A

So yeah, I hope i was clear enough :)

Thanks in advance