Sounds not played

francesco biondi

Nov 25, 2013, 2:13:43 PM11/25/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am designing an experiment in which I am presenting sounds to pp.
I am using a SlideObject with a SoundOut object.

In the Properties window of the SoundOut object I am supposed to specify the Filename of the file I want to use.

If, as a Filename, I use the name of the file contained in the folder - eg,, AUDIO.wav, the experiment runs without any problem.

But, as a Filename, I specify an attribute contained in the List - eg, [Sound], eprime does not present the audio file.
(each and every cell within the Sound column contained in the List contains audio file names such as AUDIO.wav)

Can anyone help me with this?

David McFarlane

Nov 25, 2013, 5:17:22 PM11/25/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
By any chance, are you using EP2.0.10 or later? If so, then see
first http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3299 .

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online: http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ). 4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----

francesc...@ymail.com

Nov 25, 2013, 6:58:26 PM11/25/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
David,

No

the E-Studio version is the 2.0.1.96
and the E-Prime version is 2.0.1.119

Francesco Biondi
PhD student in Cognitive Science

David McFarlane

Nov 26, 2013, 2:31:46 PM11/26/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Francesco,

Wow, that is an old EP2 version. I understand the reluctance of many
labs to move up to the latest version of EP2 because of how it
significantly breaks with earlier versions, but you should consider
moving at least up to 2.0.8.90, as it adds several improvements and
fixes to the earlier versions. The thread at
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/ptt8Z08BUhA used Codec
Config to fix a similar problem, but I do not think that your version
includes that.

-- David McFarlane

At 11/25/2013 06:58 PM Monday, francesco.biondi@...com wrote:
>David,
>
>No
>
>the E-Studio version is the 2.0.1.96
>and the E-Prime version is 2.0.1.119
>

>On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM, David McFarlane
><<mailto:mcfa...@msu.edu>mcfa...@msu.edu> wrote:
>By any chance, are you using EP2.0.10 or later? If so, then see
>first
><http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3299>http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3299
>.
>
>-----
>David McFarlane
>E-Prime training
>online:
><http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx>http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
>Twitter: @EPrimeMaster
>(<https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster>https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )
>
>/----
>Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
>take any and all questions at
><https://support.pstnet.com>https://support.pstnet.com , and they
>strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use
>of it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on
>their YouTube channel
>(<http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET>http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET
>). 4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend the
>courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
>\----
>

>At 11/25/2013 02:13 PM Monday, francesco biondi wrote:
>I am designing an experiment in which I am presenting sounds to pp.
>I am using a SlideObject with a SoundOut object.
>
>In the Properties window of the SoundOut object I am supposed to
>specify the Filename of the file I want to use.
>
>If, as a Filename, I use the name of the file contained in the
>folder - eg,, AUDIO.wav, the experiment runs without any problem.
>
>But, as a Filename, I specify an attribute contained in the List -
>eg, [Sound], eprime does not present the audio file.
>(each and every cell within the Sound column contained in the List
>contains audio file names such as AUDIO.wav)
>
>Can anyone help me with this?
>

>--
>
>--
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Francesco Biondi
>PhD student in Cognitive Science
><http://colab.psy.unipd.it/people-detail.php?ID=3650>http://colab.psy.unipd.it/people-detail.php?ID=3650

francesc...@ymail.com

Nov 27, 2013, 4:18:11 PM11/27/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

The thread at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/ptt8Z08BUhA used Codec Config to fix a similar problem, but I do not think that your version includes that.
Yes, you re right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

francesc...@ymail.com

Nov 27, 2013, 5:28:09 PM11/27/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Is updating to a newer version free?

Thanks for your precious support

Cognitology

Nov 29, 2013, 6:12:25 AM11/29/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francesco, David,
Surely it's not a bug with the older E-prime, right? (and yes, minor - .x -
updates are almost always free)
I thought it's more likely that the filename is not correct. What's the
exact error message?

Check to make sure that the filenames in the list are correct - a common
problem is that the list has "audio1.wav " rather than "audio1.wav". Try
with
Debug.print "playing:" & c.getattrib("sound") & "."

That way you'll spot any leading spaces and such that are difficult to see
from just looking at the list. You can compare the debug.print from this
output to the output you get if you just fill in the filename - they should
be the same.
Hope that helps.
Best,

Michiel
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/5294f732.2cdd320a.5a56.ffffe5a5SMT
PIN_ADDED_MISSING%40gmr-mx.google.com.

francesc...@ymail.com

Dec 2, 2013, 3:03:52 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I ve installed eprime 2.0.8.90.
I run the codec config on the audio file and that is ok.

As a filename of the SoundOut1 object, I selected the audio file -without specifying the filename on the list.

Now, it gives me the following error

Unable to runtime audio - GetClassObject failed.

Attached, you can find the audio file I am using.

Any suggestion?

300_1.wav

David McFarlane

Dec 2, 2013, 3:34:44 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Francesco,

So far, PST has charged only for major upgrades, e.g., from any
version of EP1 to EP2. So, if you had a license for EP1, you could
upgrade to any other version of EP1 at no charge, and if you had a
license for EP2, you could upgrade to any other version of EP2 at no
charge. But no one needs me to tell them that, they can just go to
the PST download site, try downloading/installing the software, and
see what happens!

Note that PST made *major* changes in the software from EP2.0.8 to
EP2.0.10, changes that can break things, so you may want to first try
the upgrade to EP2.0.8.90 before going all the way to the Production
Release (2.0.10.242) or the latest version (currently
2.0.10.353). You can see PST's advice about this at
https://support.pstnet.com/entries/24643063 .

Aside from that, you might also take Michiel's sound advice to
double-check your file names.

-- David McFarlane

David McFarlane

Dec 2, 2013, 3:58:09 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Francesco,

(Hmm, this message did not arrive until after I sent my other reply...)

Well, if it were me, at this point I would do two things:

1) Take this to PST Web Support at https://support.pstnet.com (advice
contained in my first post to this thread).

2) Set aside my experiment program and start fresh with a test
program that does nothing but play some sound files, first as entered
literally as File name on the SoundOut, and then using attributes
from a List. Nothing else would matter until I got that work.

-- David McFarlane

francesco biondi

Dec 2, 2013, 4:04:15 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

1) Take this to PST Web Support at https://support.pstnet.com (advice
contained in my first post to this thread).

I did it a week ago but I did not get any reply.

2) Set aside my experiment program and start fresh with a test
program that does nothing but play some sound files, first as entered
literally as File name on the SoundOut, and then using attributes
from a List.  Nothing else would matter until I got that work.

I've already did it.
I created an experiment containing either a slide object with a soundout or just a soundout object.
It shows me the same error

francesc...@ymail.com

Dec 2, 2013, 6:57:57 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Here, cogneuroisfun has a similar problem

I tried to create a new experiment and still the same message

unable to runtime audio

I ve tried to run the SoundRT example that comes with eprime and it shows the same error.

At this point, I do not think it is a problem related to the experiment itself. Maybe the problem is in the machine.

What do you think?

Thanks for your precious help

francesc...@ymail.com

Dec 2, 2013, 7:44:40 PM12/2/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I tried to run the experiment on a different machine and it worked.

There is probably some weirdness on the machine I was using.

Thanks everyone for your precious help!

David McFarlane

Dec 12, 2013, 3:53:11 PM12/12/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Turns out PST just answered this question on their Knowledge Base,
see http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5607 . Note the
distinction between "updates" and "upgrades". The key section reads

"What does it cost to update or upgrade?
"Updates to an existing system are included as a part of the web
support plan for your product. If your web support has expired, a
renewal may be purchased during that product's life cycle. Upgrades
to an existing system must be purchased and are typically offered at
a discount over the price of purchasing a new system."

Not clear what "web support plan" means, or how it expires. But there you go.

-- David McFarlane