Displaying a stimuli for a random amount of time

Mark Versella

Jan 28, 2014, 9:19:20 AM1/28/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, hoping to get some help with a small hiccup that I've been experiencing in putting together my program in Eprime 2.0. I'm a novice when it comes to working with this software, so pardon my use of any incorrect terminology.

What I'm trying to do is display a stimuli for a random amount of time, within a set range (1 to 3 seconds). The task I'm programming calls for a variable inter-trial interval, and I'm not sure how exactly to write that in. Any guidance on how to do this through the tools Eprime provides would be much appreciated (as I have very limited experience working with syntax), but if the only option is to write this in manually, that would be fine too. Thanks so much!

David McFarlane

Jan 28, 2014, 10:45:43 AM1/28/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Without knowing any more details, offhand I would just add a list of
duration values to a List, set that to run in random order, and then
use those values as an attribute reference for Duration in the
stimulus object -- i.e., if you name the List attribute "StimDur",
use "[StimDur]" in the Duration of the object. Beyond that, I might
put the durations in a nested List -- see the nested List tutorial in
Appendix C of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.

If you have not already, you should first work through *all* of the
tutorials in all the manuals that came with E-Prime, it will save you
(and others) a lot of trouble. See also
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/VCXgOWjKtCg .

(BTW, as far as terminology goes, "stimuli" is the plural form,
"stimulus" the singular -- so, either "displaying a stimulus" or
"diplaying stimuli".)

Best,
-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online: http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ). 4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----