PLAYING DIFFERENT MOVIES IN EPRIME

loganf...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 6:54:43 AM6/9/16
to E-Prime

Hello,

We are trying to complete an experiment looking at auditory attention in infants using E-Prime. We want to get babies to listen to a series of sound cues, but to keep them looking the right direction we want to show some silent movies on the screen while the sound cues are being presented. So we would like to stream a silent movie in the background while presenting sounds as a stimulus (eg standard, deviant, white noise). However, after trying hard to organise this in e-prime, we are unsure if this is actually possible to do in this program.

We would like to play a series of silent movies, that shift from one movie to another at the end of each movie, whilst concurrently playing a series of short (600ms) auditory stimuli. But however we try it, whenever the movie starts to play we cannot make it so that auditory stimuli play at the same time.

Thanks,

Fiona

David McFarlane

Jul 19, 2016, 1:55:54 PM7/19/16
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Fiona,

By way of comparison, please see the thread at
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/Xh7e5nXqxKY . In that case,
we could not get E-Prime to play a List of sound files while a movie played.

OTOH, for one of our experiments here we do have E-Prime playing a
*sequence* of SoundOut object while a movie plays. For that program, we
have a number of separate SoundOut objects on the same Procedure
timeline as the Movie, and that works. I think the problem might come
in part from trying to use the same SoundOut object for presenting the
successive sound files. In that case E-Prime will reset the sound
buffer in order to load a new sound file, and that may happen before the
current sound finishes playing. By using separate SoundOut objects all
on the same Procedure, each one loads its own SoundBuffer and everything
works.

-- David McFarlane