Movies in E-prime 2 (again, sorry)

peter.gerhardstein

Apr 19, 2018, 1:03:13 PM4/19/18
to E-Prime
Hello:

I'm implementing an SMI eye-tracking experiment in EP2.0.10.353 using movies (5 sec segments).
I have them formatted as MOV (QT) or MP4; I've also tried MPEG1, which does not work at all.  The MOV versions run nicely, but the experiment crashes 30-35 trials in (out of 50).

Codec installed is K-lite Mega.  I separately installed the FFDShow; I assume that won't hurt anything (?)

The experiment uses inline scripts to determine, based on where a subject looks in a previous image, which movie to show on each trial.
I'm not using TopOfPrroc (cannot), so that's not an issue.

The task bar shows multiple "LAV" icons before the crash:  The error reported is 18054, and "cannot close sound".
The File Render function in Config Codec reports what looks like an issue; "1000 Audio End Disabled"

Is this an issue in my videos?  If so, anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it?

This has nothing to do with the SMI package calls; I've reimplemented it using a mouse as input device, and it does exactly the same thing...

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

Peter Gerhardstein

peter.gerhardstein

Apr 26, 2018, 12:08:24 PM4/26/18
to E-Prime
(Update)

Posts by David McFarlane and Phillip Mahoney (thank you!) provided a workable solution, involving conversion to AVI using

http://www.online-convert.com/

which avoids codec issues that were causing my problem.  E-Prime does NOT like MP4 files converted from QT at all, and appears to have issues with MP4 that are not inside an AVI in general (this may not be true overall, but it is my experience).  Anything that invoked the LAV codec eventually crashed my (current?) version of E-Prime.

Peter G.