Unable to create socket on dynvpn0

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Apr 28, 2014, 1:27:43 PM4/28/14
to dyn...@googlegroups.com
DynVPN seems to run fine, but at least one other program (ntpd) seems to have a problem:

Apr 28 19:12:36 home ntpd[4026]: bind(63) AF_INET6 fe80::8c47:fff:fe07:79b1%143#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address
Apr 28 19:12:36 home ntpd[4026]: unable to create socket on dynvpn0 (165) for fe80::8c47:fff:fe07:79b1#123
Apr 28 19:12:36 home ntpd[4026]: failed to init interface for address fe80::8c47:fff:fe07:79b1

This happens whether I run dnc as an unprivileged user or as root.  The host in question is a 64bit Ubtuntu derivative.  I have a another host, a 32bit Debian, where this doesn't happen.

Any suggestions?

 // Klaus

--
KLΔUS ΔLΞXΔNDΞR SΞISTRUP @kseistrup
BM-BbvXWtfhr5nENu4TQtnxif16SUCdNKAF

Nicolas J. Bouliane

Apr 28, 2014, 1:33:12 PM4/28/14
to dyn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klaus,

if I understand correctly, you're trying to bind ntpd to IP of the dynvpn0 interface ?

What is your version of Ubuntu ?
Did you download the 64bits version of the DynVPN client ?
Do you use the CLI or the GUI version ?

Cheers,
Nicolas

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Apr 28, 2014, 1:43:49 PM4/28/14
to dyn...@googlegroups.com
Whenever a new interface appears on the machine,m ntpd automatically tries to bind to port 123 on that interface.  And since my machine is dual stack, a private IPv6 address is created along with the IPv4 address given by DynVPN.  It is that IPv6 address that ntpd seems to have problems with.

I'm using the 64bit version of dnc (from the http://bin.dynvpn.com/dynvpn-client-cli-12.04-amd64-0.5-Linux.deb package), and it runs fine (no segfaults or missing libraries).  It's CLI only.

Nicolas J. Bouliane

Apr 28, 2014, 1:50:37 PM4/28/14
to dyn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klaus,

I suspect that the dynvpn0 interface doesn't like iPv6, maybe a missing flag when the DynVPN client create it.

If you don't need ntpd to listen on that interface, you can modify /etc/ntpd.conf to add:

interface ignore dynvpn0

or :

interface ignore all
interface listen eth0

to make sure it just listen to one interface.

Please tell me if it works for you, on my side I'll investigate to understand why the dynvpn0 interface doesn't like IPv6.

cheers,
Nicolas

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Apr 28, 2014, 2:04:25 PM4/28/14
to dyn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, the “interface ignore dynvpn0” seems to work. :)