What is the future of Durandal?

Aleksander Gralak

Jan 22, 2015, 5:40:05 AM1/22/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
I am starting a new project and found Durandal 2.1 as a good candidate. However I am not sure about the future of the project.

I see that there will be probably next version of Durandal: http://eisenbergeffect.bluespire.com/leaving-angular/, however without knockoutjs and support for new browsers. I see that the good ideas of the current Durandal will have continuation.

So the questions are:
  1. When new version will be released? (maybe not a real deadline but just some guess)
  2. Is the migration path difficult?
Current website has some broken github URLs, so it looks like a little bit abandoned. Github current version Durandal repository wasn't updated recently and some PR are waiting, so it gives the same bad feeling as website.

I found Durandal interesting therefore I am asking the questions about its future. I can understand that the author (contributors?) are busy, however newcomers as me should have some confirmation that Durandal is still a good way to go. Please be a little bit more open and provide some plan for the future.

zew...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2015, 6:22:09 AM1/22/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Hi there
Just wait for a week or two. There will be a big announcement about the future

EisenbergEffect

Jan 22, 2015, 9:55:46 AM1/22/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
The new version announcement is coming in the next week or so. This will not be a v1, but rather a "early preview" which has enough features and stability to build real apps with. But it's not quite ready for production. The reason for the slow down in work on Durandal 2.x is that we've been working really hard to get to this release announcement as fast as we can. So, we've put all resources on it until we are past this first milestone.

The migration path is pretty straight forward. That doesn't mean that it isn't work. But, conceptually, things map pretty clearly from Durandal 2.x to the new framework. There are some guidelines on my blog that provide information for how to develop with Durandal 2.x today and plan for the future.

Aleksander Gralak

Jan 26, 2015, 8:13:22 AM1/26/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the answer. The "preview" will be faster available then I thought.

So I will give a try to Durandal starting from, hmm several days ago ;)