Introducing Aurelia: The Next Generation of Durandal

EisenbergEffect

Jan 26, 2015, 2:42:53 PM1/26/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
As many of you know, early last year I took a consulting job with Google in order to help them design and implement Angular 2.0 with the intention of merging Angular and Durandal.  Things looked promising in the beginning, then the project took some sharp turns that I just wasn't comfortable with.

The long and short of it is that I left Google to return to my own work on Durandal. Today, I'm very excited to announce an early preview release of the next generation version of Durandal, named Aurelia. I hope you'll take a few minutes to read the announcement.

For an introduction to what development in Aurelia is like, have a watch of this video.

Gary

Jan 26, 2015, 11:58:41 PM1/26/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Looks really nice Rob, so, so, glad you came back to this from Angular 2.x  :-)

Kevin McGee

Jan 27, 2015, 12:51:55 PM1/27/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
This is a great announcement and the Aurelia project looks terrific, and at the same time, recognizable (at least to consumers of Durandal).
So clean, so concise, so organic. Kinda of feels like "this is the way it ought to be"...

It's no easy feat to move forward while considering the "mindset" of developers using current/past projects, but I think you've done it.
We are in your debt, Rob.

Rob Eisenberg

Jan 27, 2015, 1:10:49 PM1/27/15
to Kevin McGee, duran...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys for the kind words!

Rob Eisenberg,
President - Blue Spire
www.durandaljs.com
Message has been deleted

Lee Nave

Jan 27, 2015, 2:14:04 PM1/27/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, congratulations!  Very excited to start diving in.

fpw...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2015, 8:10:22 AM1/30/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
I love Durandal and am very excited about it and Aurelia's future now, you guys do awesome work, but one thing I always wish it support was JSFiddle.  I try to do my part and answer questions on stackoverflow every now and then and it would be really nice to point to working code examples instead of pasting static code there.  Any chance Aurelia will be easily usable on the JSFiddle?

Rob Eisenberg

Jan 30, 2015, 8:36:01 AM1/30/15
to fpw...@gmail.com, duran...@googlegroups.com
I don't know yet. jsFiddle doesn't really seem to play with modular code.

John Farrar

Jan 30, 2015, 3:21:59 PM1/30/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
OK, this came out Monday and I am the first to comment? What is up with that?

My first question would be how will this kind of technology effect SEO?

Rob Eisenberg

Jan 30, 2015, 3:31:10 PM1/30/15
to John Farrar, duran...@googlegroups.com
For SEO you would need to use a server-side render, just like with Durandal. But, I think the SEO issues are going to go away over time. Google is doing some things about this already. My advice is to usually create your public facing web site with traditional techniques. Then create apps, with Aurelia/Durandal.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM, John Farrar <john.integri...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, this came out Monday and I am the first to comment? What is up with that?

My first question would be how will this kind of technology effect SEO?

John Farrar

Jan 30, 2015, 7:01:30 PM1/30/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Issues: Seems to be generating the dist folder properly but it is chocking on the System.import('aurelia-bootstrapper') method.

I am newer to Gulp, but that is very awesome... err, or it will be when it works for me.

m b

Feb 2, 2015, 1:40:11 PM2/2/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com
Rob - this is exciting stuff.  I'll echo others in saying we're very much in your debt.  Can't wait to keep fighting for your frameworks :).

Rob Eisenberg

Feb 3, 2015, 5:54:54 AM2/3/15
to John Farrar, duran...@googlegroups.com
Hey John, we've got a gitter channel that we're using for Aurelia. So, if you need help with that issue someone there may have an answer: https://gitter.im/Aurelia/Discuss

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM, John Farrar <john.integri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Issues: Seems to be generating the dist folder properly but it is chocking on the System.import('aurelia-bootstrapper') method.

I am newer to Gulp, but that is very awesome... err, or it will be when it works for me.

Balvvant Singh Bist

Feb 23, 2015, 1:55:21 PM2/23/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com, john.integri...@gmail.com, r...@bluespire.com
Hi Rob,
I am facing a lot of issues in creating build using wheyland. I tried all the solutions online. But nothing working. I am using the visual studio starter kit of Durandal Js version 2.0.1. I have create a post this google groups but haven't received any replies. If you can find some time to reply will be of great help. I am not able to optimize my code. Please go though following post for more details.

Thanks,,
--Balvvant.

Robert Greyling

Feb 23, 2015, 2:05:41 PM2/23/15
to Balvvant Singh Bist, duran...@googlegroups.com, john.integri...@gmail.com, Rob Eisenberg
I don't think weyland is supported anymore, but if you're using Durandal 2.1, then you can look at my tutorial to build it using Gulp instead of weyland: https://javascriptkicks.com/articles/4230

Kevin McGee

Feb 23, 2015, 3:21:51 PM2/23/15
to duran...@googlegroups.com, john.integri...@gmail.com, r...@bluespire.com
@Robert Greyling is correct....

David Simmons

Aug 2, 2015, 11:03:42 AM8/2/15
to DurandalJS, john.integri...@gmail.com, r...@bluespire.com
Hi Rob + the Aurelia team.

I'm enjoying playing with the Aurelia framework but wondered if you'd consider setting up a google group for Aurelia. I think gitter is fine as an alternative to irc but I like the ability to search google email groups for answers etc.

I'd be happy to help if needed.

anyway thanks so much for this fantastic framework.

cheers

Dave

Rob Eisenberg

Aug 2, 2015, 4:14:15 PM8/2/15
to David Simmons, DurandalJS, John Farrar
We plan to set up an official forum.
--
Rob Eisenberg,
President - Blue Spire

David Simmons

Aug 3, 2015, 1:58:43 AM8/3/15
to DurandalJS, shortl...@gmail.com, john.integri...@gmail.com, r...@bluespire.com
Thanks Rob. Excellent news.

愛生活

Nov 3, 2016, 2:16:27 AM11/3/16
to DurandalJS
Hello,

I am new to Durandal and Aurelia, and comparing the differences between them recently.

One question is that, while Durandal do not need(?) to build and run with local server, which just by clicking the index.html file(from the starterkit).
And Aurelia, must execute `au run`  to display its html page in a browser.

I suppose I could see my changes immediately after I refreshing a page in my html editor on windows PC, no need to use command line(CLI).

Thank you.

katyayan vedant

Nov 10, 2017, 12:51:33 AM11/10/17
to DurandalJS
That's great Rob! Does it have a microphone api?