Future of Durandal in an Aurelia world?

Rick Button

Jan 19, 2017, 6:31:59 PM1/19/17
to DurandalJS
What is the future of Durandal?

I would assume that Durandal is essentially deprecated, with all development efforts focused on Aurelia, especially considering the Durandal website itself refers to Aurelia as the "next generation" to be migrated to. However, we use Durandal very extensively, and see no clear migration path to Aurelia.

Will Durandal development cease entirely in the future? Are you considering new maintainers/contributors? I am especially concerned with the eventual release of knockout 4, and making sure Durandal is stable going forward.

Thanks!
Rick

EisenbergEffect

Jan 20, 2017, 12:20:45 AM1/20/17
to DurandalJS
Durandal has been in maintenance mode for two years now. We did a release last year to bring things up to date with dependencies and fix a few bugs. We're happy to do that again if there are issues with Knockout 4 that are trivial to fix. I haven't followed Knockout 4 so I'm not aware if there are serious changes or not.

The future is in Aurelia and we would certainly encourage you to migrate. There is a migration path and there are some preliminary documents on that here: https://github.com/aurelia/framework/blob/master/doc/article/drafts/durandal-to-aurelia.md

There are also a couple of libraries out there to assist in the migration. One allows you to make your Durandal apps gradually look like Aurelia before the switch. The other allows you to make your Aurelia apps integrate directly with Durandal.

In either case, the first step would be to convert your codebase to either ES 2015 via Babel or TypeScript since Aurelia assumes you are writing with modern JavaScript. You can use ES5 if you want, but it's a much nicer experience to use a modern language.